Raising sons vs. daughters | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Raising sons vs. daughters

I also think that children will more likely pick up on their parent's fears. There's a difference in a child whose behavior is reactionary (a response to the parenting style) and a child who has particular personal or individual problems which are a product of who they are or other concerns or problems. Not that these two things may not be connected but I think parents, unintentionally, confuse the two.

Last edited:
Kids are most often the most immature/exaggerated version of the parent ... this being before other influences, coping mechanisms, behavior modification, etc. My oldest tends to be more like me as his emotions tend to mimic mine. As a boy he tends to handle it better (externally) than if he were a girl. This being b/c society subdues emotions in males. He is a bit dramatic for a boy in this society, but that's b/c I've never indicated it is abnormal for him to show his emotions. To others, they may think he is "weak" and b/c of that he sometimes is alienated or targeted. So he is learning coping mechanisms to subdue them for a better appearance among his peers.

Even though INFJs will argue that we should never teach to subdue emotions or teach that it is not normal to show them ... as an INFJ parent I see how kids are cruel when they don't fit in. Most parents do their best to raise a happy child ... modifying the dramatic behavior. Our job is to protect, and most people who have never been a parent cannot see through this lens.

The modification comes in various forms though. I tend to discuss and help my son work through times when he is irritated, angered or sad. Sometimes there is nothing I can do at all ... so I tell him to go to his room and cry it out, then come to me when he's calmed down. The best thing to do is not belittle the behavior.

Last edited: