quick ethics question | INFJ Forum

quick ethics question

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
is it wrong to joke about stereotypes with a person who believes them? i feel like, as comfortable as it apparently makes them, i'm reinforcing incorrect notions in their head. is it immoral to not treat such issues with seriousness, at least until all parties agree it's just a joke?

is it wrong to joke about stereotypes with a person who believes them? i feel like, as comfortable as it apparently makes them, i'm reinforcing incorrect notions in their head. is it immoral to not treat such issues with seriousness, at least until all parties agree it's just a joke?

I think if it bothers you to joke about then you shouldn't do it. Not because its right or wrong but it makes you feel put out or out of sorts.

Honestly for me if someone makes a joke with a stereo type I don't have a problem joking back most of time. But sometimes I don't because I'm not ok with joking about it.

Last edited:
It would be hypocritical if you believe that stereotyping is a bad thing. Whether or not it is unethical, depends on whether or not you are coercing others into prejudice.

Even if that coercing is not intentional, I think one has to carefully examine if that is a likely consequence of the words you are speaking. We are each responsible for the direct consequences of our actions after all.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Depends on the circumstance.

There are people here who make tons of racist jokes. At first I challenged them, but eventually I grew weary. I just tend to ignore the comments and shrug them off. I try not to enable the person that is using them, though.

I don't believe I have any sort of moral commitment to challenge stereotypes, but if it is a friend I will most likely challenge them because I care about someone not being ignorant.

Now, if that stereotype is directly affecting someone else in a negative way, or if I perceive it as having a high potential to do so, well then that is a different story.

I’m a bit bias when it comes to joking about stereotypes, mostly because I tend to end up as the target of such jokes despite the fact that I’m not a stereotype, so I usually give a disapproving look and move on. If I’m feeling witty I might make a joke about the stereotype of whatever category the person falls into.

I wouldn’t really say such jokes are right or wrong it’s just that they make me a bit uncomfortable.

Yeah I think it is ethically wrong to joke in that way with someone who is sinister in their thoughts.

Yeah, I'd say it is wrong to joke about stereotypes with a person who believes them. Though, it depends a lot of what the stereotype is, but usually I'd say it is something you should avoid if you can. People who are more prone to believing stereotypes are typically less worth spending time with.

If you regret it then don't do it.

There is some truth to every stereotype. But, what makes it a stereotype and beyond just a truth that stands alone is that it is a distortion of that truth. Thus, repeating a stereotype distorts it further because it is thus a falsehood that is extended and spread. I had a good friend in engineering school whom everyone called the "Polish genius." Even though he was truly brilliant (the truth), pairing "genius" with "Polish" reinforced the stereotype by implying that, as a brilliant person of Polish descent, this was exceptional and rare (an untrue distortion).

Yeah, I'd say it is wrong to joke about stereotypes with a person who believes them. Though, it depends a lot of what the stereotype is, but usually I'd say it is something you should avoid if you can. People who are more prone to believing stereotypes are typically less worth spending time with.

disagree strongly; usually they are ignorant, not bad people.
i appreciate the input though

There is some truth to every stereotype. But, what makes it a stereotype and beyond just a truth that stands alone is that it is a distortion of that truth. Thus, repeating a stereotype distorts it further because it is thus a falsehood that is extended and spread. I had a good friend in engineering school whom everyone called the "Polish genius." Even though he was truly brilliant (the truth), pairing "genius" with "Polish" reinforced the stereotype by implying that, as a brilliant person of Polish descent, this was exceptional and rare (an untrue distortion).

but are positive stereotypes really a bad thing? maybe your friend was naturally a genius, and deserved to be recognized as such apart from his ethnicity, but say some polish people are not so brilliant, if there was a positive stereotype going around that suggested they were, maybe they'd be driven to actually become so?
just a thought

It would be hypocritical if you believe that stereotyping is a bad thing. Whether or not it is unethical, depends on whether or not you are coercing others into prejudice.

Even if that coercing is not intentional, I think one has to carefully examine if that is a likely consequence of the words you are speaking. We are each responsible for the direct consequences of our actions after all.

I hope that helps.

good point. i don't think joking about stereotypes is a bad thing, (i don't think joking about anything is that bad really), but if it leads to a reinforcement of actual prejudices, then yes, it probably is immoral.
thankyou for helping me clarify where I stand :)

but are positive stereotypes really a bad thing? maybe your friend was naturally a genius, and deserved to be recognized as such apart from his ethnicity, but say some polish people are not so brilliant, if there was a positive stereotype going around that suggested they were, maybe they'd be driven to actually become so?
just a thought

In some cases it may, but in others not. Some may assume that they already are "geniuses" because of people's belief in the stereotype and thus may not be inclined to work towards it.

Negative stereotypes while typically having and producing negative or noisome outcomes can also bring positive results. if someone is irked by a stereotype or the stereotype does not apply to them they may work hard to prove the stereotype wrong. Sadly, these people that do not adhere to the stereotype-for whatever reason- are likely to be ignored or even disparaged for doing as such and may end up feeling somewhat victimised by both those that believe the stereotype and those that adhere to it