psychologists, jobs

soulseeker

Permanent Fixture
Dec 19, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
hi!!!!!!
:m057:
is anyone here a psychologist? psychiatrist?

is it a good career for an INFJ to take? or do you get depressed even more because you absorb the problems of others?
:m059:
in what field do you think do INFJs succeed the most?

what is your job? do you like it?

hi!!!!!!

is it a good career for an INFJ to take? or do you get depressed even more because you absorb the problems of others?

Personally I don't think therapeutic psychology is a very good career choice for INFJs. It would be more suitable for "P" types because it requires a lot of listening and not trying to interfere with patient's problems. It's a hard thing to do for "J"s to refrain from advising. We can also associate with other people problems too easily.

Other psychology related fields might be more suitable: human relations manager, career and financial advisor, coach.

As for myself - I work in IT ;)

Reactions: daydreamer
I was actually thinking of taking Counseling as a career or side career myself.

I'm studying journalism so far (which I hate with every fiber of myself and yes, I chose it, and no, don't ask why) but I intend to go into translations and would also like to go into the counselling business. I don't think I would do badly, although I do admit that I absorb people's problems like a sponge and that it's hard for me to refrain from ellaborating an opinion. But hey, that's what you study and practice for! ...I think

hi!!!!!!
:m057:

:m059:

I had considered this career path, until I look some psychology courses that is. I realized I'd rather advise and relate to people too much. This however by no way means it wouldn't be an ideal career path for you. Don't let this stupid type thing get in your way or influence what you want to try. It's just 4 letters that don't really mean much. By no means should you plan your life around them. They are helpful to relate to but your knowledge of your typing shouldn't ever limit you. If you didn't know you were an INFJ would you even be worrying about this question?

If it's something you are interested in, then by all means, it is worthy of looking into. When you get to the university level try out some psychology courses. Maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll hate it, but it's worth a try!

To answer your other questions, I think INFJ's succeed and fail where everyone else does. It's personality, not typing that determines that.

I have two jobs (three if you count my music!), on of which is maintenance at my college which I hate! but the money is good. The other is a chef. I don't mind it but working with people in a busy environment all day everyday takes it's toll on me.

Last edited:
I had considered this career path, until I look some psychology courses that is. I realized I'd rather advise and relate to people too much. This however by no way means it wouldn't be an ideal career path for you. Don't let this stupid type thing get in your way or influence what you want to try. It's just 4 letters that don't really mean much. By no means should you plan your life around them. They are helpful to relate to but your knowledge of your typing shouldn't ever limit you. If you didn't know you were an INFJ would you even be worrying about this question?

If it's something you are interested in, then by all means, it is worthy of looking into. When you get to the university level try out some psychology courses. Maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll hate it, but it's worth a try!

To answer your other questions, I think INFJ's succeed and fail where everyone else does. It's personality, not typing that determines that.

I have two jobs (three if you count my music!), on of which is maintenance at my college which I hate! but the money is good. The other is a chef. I don't mind it but working with people in a busy environment all day everyday takes it's toll on me.

cool!!! i wanna have a lot of jobs :mwaa:
i'm thinking of being a pediatrician or something.. i don't really want to be a lawyer :m077:..i think it's hard really really really hard

i aim to be a teacher, most likely of pshchology
at the moment i don't feel mentally ready, but i know that when the time comes i will be ready

I'm studying psych now.
Most probably will continue and eventually work in this field
Industrial organisational psych to be specific :D

I'm disappointed in psychology. I thought it would be more interesting that it is.

Also, I could never stand to listen to people's problems and then watch them suffer and maybe die. That'd be too much for me.

I actually thought about a medical profession. Wanted to help people that were hurt. But being around people in alot of physical pain all day would absolutely kill me.

I'm not sure about psychology. I have a feeling I'd suffer from the same symptom listed above.

I'm currently a Computer Tech for the Government. Just about done with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. I like it cause I can help people by fixing the computer problems, and my intuition works very well at figuring out what's causing the problem.

I minored in psychology when I pursued my second degree. I spent a lot of time in therapy and I'll tell you, I'd rather write about people's psychological quirks than absorb their problems as a therapist.

I would think that if someone is realistic about themself and other people, they would not absorb other people's problems because doing so only creates more problems.. which is counter-productive to the entire field of therapy or wanting to help anyone in general.

An INFJ could probably make an excellent therapist or pscyhologist or counselor so long as they don't have unrealistic expectations about their capabilities to solve other people's problems. No one is ever anyone's savior. Even in therapy, it's not the therapist doing all the work. It's the client's responsibility, too.

I would think that if someone is realistic about themself and other people, they would not absorb other people's problems because doing so only creates more problems.. which is counter-productive to the entire field of therapy or wanting to help anyone in general.

It's easy for you to speak when you're a P ;) I guess I could train myself and become a therapist like you described, but it wouldn't give much satisfaction. I even try not to advice my friends anymore because it irritates me when people ask for guidance and then still go and do things their own screwed up way.

I'm currently a Computer Tech for the Government. Just about done with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. I like it cause I can help people by fixing the computer problems, and my intuition works very well at figuring out what's causing the problem.

"Did you turn the computer on?"
"Yes, it didn't work!!"
"...have you checked that it's plugged in?"
"......oops?"

Happens all the time. =D

Interestingly, a lot of people seem to think that counseling is the only way to go with Psychology..

I'm in college and have been very involved with conducting research with professors and will be involved with my own independent research this next semester and I have to say, there is a lot more to psychology than people might think...

No other course, in my opinion, has such a respect for synthesizing the importance of all academia in order to better understand the human brain.

If counseling psychology might be too hard for you to do, as I know it would be for me, I really recommend anyone to give areas in cognitive and social psychology a shot. There are a lot of opportunities for research available in these fields and a lot of questions yet to be answered. Questions that may very well be able to impact our understanding (and thus make improvements to) of ourselves and the world around us!

Having said that, I do agree with Minority a bit when he says to not put too much thought into your MBTI result in regards to career. Sure, some thought might be healthy, but never think of your MBTI as some sort of inescapable fate!

never think of your MBTI as some sort of inescapable fate!

most of the time, i feel like it is an:m077: inescapable fate... like i think that i should have certain limits to my actions and that i will never feel happy like others do and all the other depressing things that an INFJ can think about

but sometimes, i am proud to be an INFJ..:m105:and i also feel special and gifted because of being one

i think that we're:mf: lucky that we get to know or feel what most people may never know or feel.

I thought about psychology as well but I too can't handle hearing too many personal issues from people. The only kind of counseling I can imagine myself doing is career guidance counseling since with that it is something that I can actually guide them with, without dealing with the emotional drama. I'd love to conduct personality tests on them and work with them to find a suitable career. I enjoy psychology but I don't want to become a clinical psychologist.

I think I like professions best where I can have some time by myself and people occasionally walk up to me to ask for assistance (like a help desk, librarian or something).

"Did you turn the computer on?"
"Yes, it didn't work!!"
"...have you checked that it's plugged in?"
"......oops?"

Happens all the time. =D
Maybe the best problem I've come across(Not at my current workplace) was someone that dropped their laptop and one of the screen hinges snapped off. Person decided to fix it themselves, just superglue the thing back together! :m192:

That held for like a minute until the person realized they couldn't close the laptop.

Digging glue out of the screws so you can replace the screen is fun(What was even more fun was finding that the charger port in the back had also broken and was originally welded on to the board. So the laptop ended up getting replaced)

Hi, I just got accepted into college to start my A Levels this Sept and I am including the modules: A Level psychology and law, I hope to begin my Psychology degree next year (BA Hons) - I've spent a long time in therapy too... I think my capabilities to have insights into my friends and their minor psychological issues are definitely something I'd like to build on, to learn more about the mind and apply it to people's lives.. BUT most undergraduate students don't really know at year one what job they would like to do at the end, who knows you may learn to love psychology and folks dramas...

My2c

Personally I don't think therapeutic psychology is a very good career choice for INFJs. It would be more suitable for "P" types because it requires a lot of listening and not trying to interfere with patient's problems. It's a hard thing to do for "J"s to refrain from advising. We can also associate with other people problems too easily.

Other psychology related fields might be more suitable: human relations manager, career and financial advisor, coach.

As for myself - I work in IT ;)
That's a good point.