Private Eaters | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Private Eaters

I'm a private eater too. Mostly it's because I'm always worried I might use the wrong utensil or make some huge mess.

I find that I don't mind eating in a crowded room. I have to do it in school a lot. But I tend to go at odd hours, when the cafeteria isn't busy, or veer towards an empty section. I hate sitting at a table with people I don't know. It feels so awkward.

I'm not a big fan of eating with people I am not close to (even then its awkward) I'm the same way with speaking on the phone-has to be private. I'll hide and eat or speak on the phone.

when im talking to someone on the phone (no matter who it is) i will walk the ENTIRE time. TO the kitchen, to the bathroom, back to the kitchen, around the table, into my room, outside, back inside, to the computer room, and every other place. lol

I HAVE to be doing something while on the phone. I don't know why, but it's really hard for me to just talk on the phone without some sort of distraction :/
It really annoys the person I'm talking on the phone with because my mind's never really fully there

I used to play video games while on the phone.

when im talking to someone on the phone (no matter who it is) i will walk the ENTIRE time. TO the kitchen, to the bathroom, back to the kitchen, around the table, into my room, outside, back inside, to the computer room, and every other place. lol

same here, i am a pacer when i am on the phone... good thing i live out in the country now, i have a big front and backyard to walk around in...

and a 2 car garage i love to hide out in...

Why do you guys do this? I am constantly on the go, but when I am talking to someone on the phone I like to be able to sit back and enjoy the conversation.

I guess I feel that since I can not see them I really need to concentrate on the intonations of their voice and their choice of words ... kind of my way of looking them in they eye while I talk to them.

Why do you guys do this? I am constantly on the go, but when I am talking to someone on the phone I like to be able to sit back and enjoy the conversation.

I guess I feel that since I can not see them I really need to concentrate on the intonations of their voice and their choice of words ... kind of my way of looking them in they eye while I talk to them.

I do it cause quite frankly I can't just talk, I have to see a point to the conversation, it has to make our relationship stronger, or party 2 has to be helping me do something... so I do something else to entertain myself till the convo is over.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate that the person is speaking to me and all that, it's just that I want to be entertained.

Ha, my ESTP friend gets basically driven up the wall when we're talking on the phone because I get too easily distracted.
I guess the thing for me is that I have trouble concentrating because I can't see the person. It lacks that very personal connection; I can't see their body language and their eyes. I have issues really involving myself in the conversation :mD:

I have no problem eating in front of other people, except occasionally for the crunch factor. Sometimes when it's a very quiet environment, I worry about volume. But usually it's no problem, I can even sit in an entirely inappropriate place and be the only one eating, and be eating really messy food, like a loosely wrapped burrito or an overstuffed kebab, and be ok.

And I love going out to new restaurants, because I have a really fun game I like to play there:

Intuit The Best Dish On The Menu

It usually leads to some really delicious choices.

But the phone... kills me. I usually like conversations to be factual, to the point, and quick. If there is any amount of real talk, no matter how mundane, I have to be alone or I feel like I can't express myself fully, because whatever I have to say I have to say to them alone, and isn't for other people to hear. And I get distracted by other conversations and interactions around me. The problem is compounded when I'm talking about really intimate, emotional things. Not only do I feel a bit blind, as CokeNut said, by not being able to see them or feel them, but I am also aware of how I'm not able to add any non-verbal communication to what I'm saying to influence how it's being received. So I can never settle on the right words, because it always takes more than words...

If there is any amount of real talk, no matter how mundane, I have to be alone or I feel like I can't express myself fully, because whatever I have to say I have to say to them alone, and isn't for other people to hear. And I get distracted by other conversations and interactions around me. The problem is compounded when I'm talking about really intimate, emotional things. Not only do I feel a bit blind, as CokeNut said, by not being able to see them or feel them, but I am also aware of how I'm not able to add any non-verbal communication to what I'm saying to influence how it's being received. So I can never settle on the right words, because it always takes more than words...

i agree with the underlined part... if i am around people i don't know or feel uncomfortable around, i really don't being on the phone around them... its not for them to hear me...

... and i know what you mean by the bold part... when CokeNut and i talk on the phone, she's all like, "so, is that all you're going to say?"... it helps me to transfer my body language and animate my vocals by pacing, hearing everything she is saying, and thinking about what she says to me... by pacing when i talk on the phone, it helps me to concentrate on her and what she says, and in return, we have some pretty in-depth conversations... :)

When i eat with ppl I just look down and munch away, I am trying to work on that though, but it just seems weird to eat with other people, I cannot explain why I think it is, it just is hahahahahah

when CokeNut and i talk on the phone, she's all like, "so, is that all you're going to say?"

AAAAAAUUUUUUGGHHH!!!!!

How many times have I heard that?!?!?!?

I seriously applaud you, in that you can get past that point. That's the spot I usually get stuck at, which has caused me no end of trouble in past relationships. Maybe I should try pacing...