Premonitions, Callings, Intuition, Gut Feelings | INFJ Forum

Premonitions, Callings, Intuition, Gut Feelings

#@&5&49

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
Inf?
Have you ever had a premonition, calling, strong feeling, etc., that you can't NOT listen to. Whether it's move here, or apply for that job, or stay away from that person, or don't do that, or, or, or. Gee wiz, there are so many. Do you think we should always listen to these? Sometimes if I don't listen to these they get louder and louder, almost screaming at me. Some are stronger than others and I will wake up thinking about them, go to sleep thinking about them, etc.. Others are pretty weak, like I shouldn't drive today, then I get a ticket.

Before I found out that I had cancer I kept hearing this voice that was telling me, "...... you're sick but you don't know it". Other times I've had very strong feelings that I should move somewhere. Like a particular place was almost haunting me. I would dream about it, think about it, smell it, etc., after I moved it would end up being one of the best things I did. Other times there were problems within my family and I kept hearing a voice that said, "there's a lot of stuff happening in your family, you need to call them". What are these? Sometimes I think I'm being haunted - but in a good way, if that's even possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
I've had those experiences. It's like some kind of communication. ...Very hard to talk about without sounding batty. ;D "I hear something speaking to me in my head..." Err... You can discredit yourself entirely in 2 seconds flat... but I've had these experiences. I sometimes go against the advice because the circumstance is complicated OR when don't know exactly WHAT to do with the information. That's the worst. but yeah...I hear voices... (That didn't come out right... :m069: )

I'll quickly summarize in which context it's happened:
- Warnings about a person
- Describing people's problems
- predicting the outcome of events
- telling me of what's happening right now elsewhere
- (once) a person's demise (which still remains very disturbing)

It happens without me inviting it and only sometimes. Don't ask me what is it or why it happens but like you [MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION] I have seriously considered that I might be haunted and entertained some notions of ancestral spirits even.... But I have no idea.

And why explain it in this way to myself: Modern scientific view would probs explain it as some sort of mental problem, but I've actually shared some of my experiences in therapy for my depression (from exhaustion) and my diagnosis wasn't altered in any way... because I'm not insane. ;D I'm a sane person hearing voices... There you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had those kinds of premonitions. I rarely give them much credit if I do have them because I wonder whether it's just my Ne, and paranoia that something is going to happen. And since I rarely get confirmation that I am right. But in a few circumstances, I was right. For example, last year, when my friend went on a trip with her SO at the time, I thought he was going to propose without knowing anything about what the trip would be about. When she came back and told me, it's almost as if I was there because I had imagined it. That was interesting.

What is weird is I can know if something is not going to happen, rather than when it will. Because of too much worry :D, I've trained myself to identify when something is or isn't likely to happen even if I'm concerned that it will. In those cases, I have to put aside those gut feelings and look at the situation objectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: #@&5&49
I've had those experiences. It's like some kind of communication. ...Very hard to talk about without sounding batty. ;D "I hear something speaking to me in my head..." Err... You can discredit yourself entirely in 2 seconds flat... but I've had these experiences. I sometimes go against the advice because the circumstance is complicated OR when don't know exactly WHAT to do with the information. That's the worst. but yeah...I hear voices... (That didn't come out right... :m069: )

I'll quickly summarize in which context it's happened:
- Warnings about a person
- Describing people's problems
- predicting the outcome of events
- telling me of what's happening right now elsewhere
- (once) a person's demise (which still remains very disturbing)

It happens without me inviting it and only sometimes. Don't ask me what is it or why it happens but like you [MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION] I have seriously considered that I might be haunted and entertained some notions of ancestral spirits even.... But I have no idea.

And why explain it in this way to myself: Modern scientific view would probs explain it as some sort of mental problem, but I've actually shared some of my experiences in therapy for my depression (from exhaustion) and my diagnosis wasn't altered in any way... because I'm not insane. ;D I'm a sane person hearing voices... There you go.

Well, at the risk of sounding "batty", I just gotta laugh at that! These experiences are unnerving. I didn't really think about it much and basically ignored them until I found out I had cancer, and I remembered hearing that voice for several years telling me that I was sick, but I didn't know it. After that, I started listening.

That's when I also started to get a little scared, kind of creeped out. My rational mind started trying to explain it, categorize it. I was thinking how is this possible? What is this? I had a million questions and no answers. I started combing books, videos, anything I could find that would provide some kind of explanation for what was happening. And yes, batty, definitely crossed my mind! But it's dead on. Once I was told my brother was in a lot of pain and needed help. Then I found out his wife had just passed away. There are too many things to dismiss this as coincidence, etc. Believe me I have tried to dismiss it, not listen to it, ignore it, explain it, etc., etc.. It's just freaky.

Lately I've just decided to accept it (for lack of a better term) and see where or if it leads me anywhere. This is a different kind of learning process though. Meaning, it doesn't exactly come with a guide book with directions to follow. It's a lot like fumbling around in the dark.

Thanks for responding [MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION].

[MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION]
That's what I've decided to do aswell personally. Thanks for sharing your experiences.:) for the record I don't think it's batty. :)
In some cultures we'd probs be oracles or something. ;D
I mean I could kind of explain some of the "knowing someone has a problem" with just being sensitive, but it's really not the case of some isolated incidents like a person I'd met briefly coming to town (which I knew of) and while I was away at the time in my mind I saw one of my friends talking to them asking where I am. As it turns out this friend ran into them and they asked her specifically wether I was there. I also once narrated a friend's route to another friend because I somehow knew they'd be late because of some trouble at the train station and a series of unexpected events. It kind of unfolded there in my mind as it happened. It was a little freaky. ...those being just trivial little everyday things.
Then there's things like seeing my ex (then current) boyfriend kiss a brown haired girl in a hotel lounge while he was away on business. He said nothing until I described the scene and her looks after which he confessed and was a little freaked out. I don't know how you can explain that rationally... ;D
Sometimes it's like an inner dialogue with me, or physical sensations or like a movie that starts running in my mind...
All in all I guess it's just better living true to oneself and trust one's vision since it works, but I've had trouble myself with the whole issue, coming from such a secular background. Someday I hope there'll be generally accepted understanding of this type of phenomena.

[MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION],

Thank you too for sharing your experiences as well. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this. I mean I know there are more folks who experience these things, I just don't happen to personally know any of them. I think that's about to change though as I am actively seeking out people who have experiences like this. I need a mentor/s, people more experienced in this than I. I would like to find out if this can be "fine tuned" (that's from [MENTION=5234]Pegasuswh[/MENTION]) and directed in some way, and if this can be used in some way to help people. [MENTION=2873]Serenity[/MENTION] was telling me about Reiki, which I will be taking a class in later this summer - can't wait. That seems like it will provide an outlet for some of this energy, and also give me a little more direction. :love:

Reactions: jyrffw54
I get this all the time; Hints and voices from the back of my mind offering information from out of nowhere. It’s neat. I’ve always just gone with it and listened I never tried to fight it even if people think I’m weird. They can eat me…

I can always tell people intentions when I need to, and can usually intuitively piece together how a situation will pan out with virtually nothing to go off of. Random hunches and clues just sort of pop up in my head and they almost always lead me to whatever I’m looking for. Sometimes before I even know I’m looking for something. Very rarely are they incorrect, and when they are they were weak from the get go.

I don’t follow it every time though. But I always listen. Then if I can justify it and reason it out I will follow thru. Or if I just have no reason not to. But sometimes I’ll pick up on something that isn’t my business so I just kind of look the other way.

Also I can figure out how stuff works pretty easily this way. Be it a machine or an animal or whatever. I’ll just kind of look at it and the pieces all just put themselves together.

I feel like there is a reservoir of information in my head. While other people learn things then try to directly apply them so they function. I sort of just pour all the stuff I learn into this well and then when I have a question I dip it in the well and let nature take its course. Then when I pull it out it’s a much more complex answer. It’s like fishing for relevant info with the question as a hook. The middle ground is completely lost to me but for some reason is usually incredibly accurate.

:m075:

It is like an inner dialogue [MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION], and I really like the analogy of a well [MENTION=5206]Oros Ull[/MENTION]. Thank you guys for describing how this works for you. This is helping me find the words to describe how this works for me. Intuition and empathy are definitely parts of it, and I have relied on those my entire life, but they don't describe all of it. It feels like a completely different communication system. I have had too many experiences like the ones I've mentioned to just shrug it off - there is definitely something else going on here. My curiosity has been ignited!

There is one other thing. When I focus my perception towards my inner world rather then reality I begin to get imaginary friends, who are entirely independent from my own train of thought.

This has been going on since I was a kid. Sometimes during rough or isolated periods in my life I will all but completely chime out of reality and retreat into my mind, which under certain circumstances becomes just as vivid to me as real life. My consciousness seems to switch modes almost, while typically I would be conscious when awake and sort of on auto when asleep, I become conscious in my sleep and go on auto when awake.

I only get this way when my life has completely crumbled and retreat is all I can to maintain my sanity or I am completely isolated for really long periods of time.

They just sort of come and go as people do in real life. Accept they are always bizarre creatures from the depths of my imagination. They will represent parts of my perspective or perhaps some memory or something. Often times I need to get to know them before I even know what they are.

They will usually present themselves to me first in a very vivid dream or nightmare. Then after that they just sort of hang around and talk to me while lucid dreaming or I can even see them as if they are standing there in front of me but the only way to see them is by closing my eyes.

The most recent was Ullul and he was a tall blue flame with eyes like sun spots. And he represented my curiosity and desire for transcendence and understanding. He was very kind and stuck around for a few months while I was doing some studying in isolation. He would speak very cryptically to me and offer open ended solutions to dilemmas and problems I would encounter that I would have never come up with left to only a sensory perspective.

I feel as if on some level he was a manifestation of my insight itself. And from the nature of the past characters that have shown up they seem to get more complex as I age.

I don’t know. It’s definitely a very strange occurrence apparently. This seems to happen to people only as small children but I managed to hang on to whatever mental mechanism employs that I guess. Not only that but I have learned how to use it beneficially and clearly.

When I was a teenager there were a few I would even confuse with real people because I would just see them standing there among others even though I was just imagining them. But usually they take on very strange forms in reflection of the world’s I’ve made in my noodle while lucid dreaming.

Unfortunately for several months now I have been dealing openly with reality so all that is off at present. And while I still encounter these guys occasionally in my dreams I am not currently in the necessary state of mind to lucid dream or control any of that.

Anyway the point is when I am in that state of mind and all the creatures of my id present themselves to me. I seem to gain all my information entirely from within my own mind. I might read a book or something but the process of imagination like seeking potentials and making connections kicks into high gear and it is as if I am teaching myself things about how the world functions with no actual source of information. Or if there is then it is from some abstract amalgamation of old forgotten thoughts that were initially discarded as irrelevant only to be recycled when in this phase.

When I’m like that I feel as if my whole brain is functioning at optimal capacity and everything becomes a simple riddle for me to figure out back by all the information I’ve gained in my life plus perhaps a connection to outside sources.

I tend to keep this to myself as when I typically share this info people think I’m insane or lying. But for me it’s become normal and a big part of how I understand things. And as far as I can tell I am far more emotionally stable and intelligent then most people I encounter. So I figure it can’t be all that bad, even if a bit eccentric.

:m041:

"...... you're sick but you don't know it".

This is a self-examining mechanism that I've had for years and years. It's an inner voice of caution about where my life is headed or what my current attitude or approach is going to produce at this time, at this phase. Am I seeing the bigger picture of my life? Am I too blind to overlook something important?

Other than that, yes, I've had many premonitions. They're just a fact of life for me. And I think it's usually a form of inference: sensory data plus context. We and others emit subconscious vibes that are indicators so subtle that we can't place the logical steps of reason for our conclusions. (cf. Social Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman, on the issue of subconscious social cues).

Have you ever had a premonition, calling, strong feeling, etc., that you can't NOT listen to. Whether it's move here, or apply for that job, or stay away from that person, or don't do that, or, or, or. Gee wiz, there are so many. Do you think we should always listen to these? Sometimes if I don't listen to these they get louder and louder, almost screaming at me. Some are stronger than others and I will wake up thinking about them, go to sleep thinking about them, etc.. Others are pretty weak, like I shouldn't drive today, then I get a ticket.

Before I found out that I had cancer I kept hearing this voice that was telling me, "...... you're sick but you don't know it". Other times I've had very strong feelings that I should move somewhere. Like a particular place was almost haunting me. I would dream about it, think about it, smell it, etc., after I moved it would end up being one of the best things I did. Other times there were problems within my family and I kept hearing a voice that said, "there's a lot of stuff happening in your family, you need to call them". What are these? Sometimes I think I'm being haunted - but in a good way, if that's even possible.

i always listen to them. i didn't always i nthe past, but i realized that not listening to my inner self caused a lot of grief in the long run.
i have always had them so it's completely natural in my life. i have no idea how i know stuff sometimes. i just know it.
lol you're not haunted, unless you can haunt yourself that is

i always listen to them. i didn't always, but i realized that not listening to my inner self caused a lot of grief in the long run.
i have always had them so it's completely natural in my life.
lol you're not haunted, unless you can haunt yourself that is

Hmm, haunting myself, what would that be called?? I mean besides nuts 'R' us.:becky:

Hmm, haunting myself, what would that be called?? I mean besides nuts 'R' us.:becky:

schizophrenic?
(remember, you're never alone with a schizophrenic)

i've been with my partner for over 8 years now and he is finally accepting that i 'know' things.
he used to doubt me or challenge me, but after so many times of being absolutely dead on correct he is now more inclined to respect it, and even seek my council on things such as who to hire in his office.
yes i screen prospective employees. i'm pretty good at it too lol
my daughter is another of the very few people who accept or even know for that matter that i can know things about people and situations.
i like to keep a low profile about it anyway. it creeps some people out

This is a self-examining mechanism that I've had for years and years. It's an inner voice of caution about where my life is headed or what my current attitude or approach is going to produce at this time, at this phase. Am I seeing the bigger picture of my life? Am I too blind to overlook something important?

Other than that, yes, I've had many premonitions. They're just a fact of life for me. And I think it's usually a form of inference: sensory data plus context. We and others emit subconscious vibes that are indicators so subtle that we can't place the logical steps of reason for our conclusions. (cf. Social Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman, on the issue of subconscious social cues).

I guess in terms of illness, it could have been an inner voice of caution. I mean a way that my body was trying to tell my mind that I was really ill. I had cancer for years before it was found, and had they not found it, well, I would not be here. Do you think these "subconscious vibes" can travel? I mean what if we are not in the vicinity of the person we are getting the vibe about? How does that work? I guess I'm looking for some kind of explanation, but maybe instead of trying to explain it I should just go with it. It's just so darn fascinating, I can't help but try to figure it out.

Last edited:
There is one other thing. When I focus my perception towards my inner world rather then reality I begin to get imaginary friends, who are entirely independent from my own train of thought.

This has been going on since I was a kid. Sometimes during rough or isolated periods in my life I will all but completely chime out of reality and retreat into my mind, which under certain circumstances becomes just as vivid to me as real life. My consciousness seems to switch modes almost, while typically I would be conscious when awake and sort of on auto when asleep, I become conscious in my sleep and go on auto when awake.

I only get this way when my life has completely crumbled and retreat is all I can to maintain my sanity or I am completely isolated for really long periods of time.

They just sort of come and go as people do in real life. Accept they are always bizarre creatures from the depths of my imagination. They will represent parts of my perspective or perhaps some memory or something. Often times I need to get to know them before I even know what they are.

They will usually present themselves to me first in a very vivid dream or nightmare. Then after that they just sort of hang around and talk to me while lucid dreaming or I can even see them as if they are standing there in front of me but the only way to see them is by closing my eyes.

The most recent was Ullul and he was a tall blue flame with eyes like sun spots. And he represented my curiosity and desire for transcendence and understanding. He was very kind and stuck around for a few months while I was doing some studying in isolation. He would speak very cryptically to me and offer open ended solutions to dilemmas and problems I would encounter that I would have never come up with left to only a sensory perspective.

I feel as if on some level he was a manifestation of my insight itself. And from the nature of the past characters that have shown up they seem to get more complex as I age.

I don’t know. It’s definitely a very strange occurrence apparently. This seems to happen to people only as small children but I managed to hang on to whatever mental mechanism employs that I guess. Not only that but I have learned how to use it beneficially and clearly.

When I was a teenager there were a few I would even confuse with real people because I would just see them standing there among others even though I was just imagining them. But usually they take on very strange forms in reflection of the world’s I’ve made in my noodle while lucid dreaming.

Unfortunately for several months now I have been dealing openly with reality so all that is off at present. And while I still encounter these guys occasionally in my dreams I am not currently in the necessary state of mind to lucid dream or control any of that.

Anyway the point is when I am in that state of mind and all the creatures of my id present themselves to me. I seem to gain all my information entirely from within my own mind. I might read a book or something but the process of imagination like seeking potentials and making connections kicks into high gear and it is as if I am teaching myself things about how the world functions with no actual source of information. Or if there is then it is from some abstract amalgamation of old forgotten thoughts that were initially discarded as irrelevant only to be recycled when in this phase.

When I’m like that I feel as if my whole brain is functioning at optimal capacity and everything becomes a simple riddle for me to figure out back by all the information I’ve gained in my life plus perhaps a connection to outside sources.

I tend to keep this to myself as when I typically share this info people think I’m insane or lying. But for me it’s become normal and a big part of how I understand things. And as far as I can tell I am far more emotionally stable and intelligent then most people I encounter. So I figure it can’t be all that bad, even if a bit eccentric.

:m041:

That is really interesting. You're describing kind of a form of meditation. I was just thinking about trying to create an inner space like that. Like a free space, where anything can happen, and everything is possible. I have also read that a lot of people lose the ability to go to that space as they age.

I remember when I was a little girl I used to talk to this guy in a black suit, like a 1950's suit. We had the best conversations. I remember when he told me he had to go away and I was distraught. One time I went into the kitchen to get something to eat and my mother asked me, "who are you talking to?" and I said, "the man", and she said "WHAT MAN?" I said, "the man in my room". She dropped everything and ran into my room and looked everywhere, then walked out and said "there's no man in here".

I feel like I have been given so much information and guidance throughout my life, I always felt like I had a guardian angel. I mean some crummy stuff has happened to me in my life, believe me, I haven't been immune to pain. But I've always felt/known there's just so much more going on and so much more that is possible then most people are aware of. Thanks for that post, I'm going to read that again.

[MENTION=5206]Oros Ull[/MENTION], As I read your post again, I thought they're like guides, for both you and I, and anyone else this sort of thing happens to. You described them so vividly it would be wonderful to see a visual rendition. And yes, when reality gets heavy for me it is hard for me to access all that inner help too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulful
i've been with my partner for over 8 years now and he is finally accepting that i 'know' things.
he used to doubt me or challenge me, but after so many times of being absolutely dead on correct he is now more inclined to respect it, and even seek my council on things such as who to hire in his office.
yes i screen prospective employees. i'm pretty good at it too lol
my daughter is another of the very few people who accept or even know for that matter that i can know things about people and situations.
i like to keep a low profile about it anyway. it creeps some people out

People that know me well and are close to me also heed my warnings. I have dreams, premonitions, feelings, etc. about their stuff, their lives, them personally. My husband always asks me when he meets a knew friend and/or business associate, what do you think of so and so, or what do you think of this situation. He's learned to trust it too. I'm kind of interested in taking this to another level, as opposed to a personal level, which it has for the most part been. I mean I've used it in my profession in a variety of ways, but I kind of want to channel it more into something more specific to healing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGirl
I mean I've used it in my profession in a variety of ways, but I kind of want to channel it more into something more specific to healing.
I actually just found out editing some of my lyrics for when I can finish recording that the things I'd been writing about during the recent difficult times were actually the answers to my particular problems. I write intuitively, or it's mostly taking down notes as some song starts playing in my head, especially now that I dont' have time to sit down and compose purposefully...I just jot down whatever broadcasts on my inner radio....the point is I'm (in the everyday sense, running around, doing dishes..etc) usually not as smart and insightful as my songs. I personally usually understand what it is they actually are about some 6-12 months after I write them. And they usually form some kind of a logical whole...It's just a curious way to work for most people, especially compared to most musicians I know who intentionally craft things. I was discussing the songwriting process with a friend and they completely lost me at this point and I just honestly had thought everyone writes like I do. :)

I actually just found out editing some of my lyrics for when I can finish recording that the things I'd been writing about during the recent difficult times were actually the answers to my particular problems. I write intuitively, or it's mostly taking down notes as some song starts playing in my head, especially now that I dont' have time to sit down and compose purposefully...I just jot down whatever broadcasts on my inner radio....the point is I'm (in the everyday sense, running around, doing dishes..etc) usually not as smart and insightful as my songs. I personally usually understand what it is they actually are about some 6-12 months after I write them. And they usually form some kind of a logical whole...It's just a curious way to work for most people, especially compared to most musicians I know who intentionally craft things. I was discussing the songwriting process with a friend and they completely lost me at this point and I just honestly had thought everyone writes like I do. :)

I know exactly what you mean. I do that with the creative process also. Kind of like the belief that we have all the answers we need it's just a matter of accessing them. Something about the creative process makes accessing those answers easier. I guess it's like a form of meditation, where I'm not evaluating what I'm creating, I'm just creating it.

Do you think these "subconscious vibes" can travel? I mean what if we are not in the vicinity of the person we are getting the vibe about? How does that work?
It's great to "go with it". Leanne Payne, for example, reinforces the idea that the "heart" is underappreciated in its ability to understand things beyond logic and analyzable facts (cf. The Broken Image). I think it's also fun to think about the ways our subconscious can receive information.

I believe that vibes are a part of INJ communication, for example. They do this through the eyes. But everything about a person's subtlest movements produce vibes. Just think of the subtlety of noticing a person's breathing patterns, for example, as a vibe. A face slightly lower than "usual". The vibes communicate that there's something not right, but you might not be able to identity what that thing is.... or that something is very different about someone today, etc.

E.g., I sense sometimes that I am feeling much different in some aspect of myself even up to the recent past--as if I have achieved some nebulous milestone in life. But I can't pinpoint what it is exactly, just some new sense of maturity in some aspect of my humanness, ability to communicate with others, etc.