Votes: 63 82.9%
  • I support gay marriage but I would vote against it

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I dont support gay marriage but I would still vote for it

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Im against gay marriage and I would vote against it

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
I think a conversation becomes a monologue when one of the people involved cannot engage the content and begins calling names, making accusations, swearing and acting all anti-social.

I tried with you earlier. I never heard or read anything you said that in my opinion and others it seemed that sounded remotely convincing of why your argument should deprive others of basic civil rights and freedoms. You appeared to me to try and articulate the best you could what sounded like confused reasoning to perpetuate your hatred of homosexuals. I have no tolerance for that. And since our earlier conversations only left me wanting blood, I left it alone. I wasn't talking sense to you, and you only pissed me off. Not interested in having anymore to do with your hatred.

I'm not full of love. I'm not special. I didn't think I was offending you. I apologize for my choice of words. No mattered how heart felt they were.

That's very adult of you. I understand this may be a personal matter to you and several others on this forum, but crimes of passion are not excused because of their circumstances and I don't believe incivility is either because one may feel strongly about a certain topic. Nobody is here to 'win' an argument or 'prove' a point. This should be an opportunity to better understand WHY someone feels pro- or anti- gay marriage, so that maybe we can all understand the depth and breadth of this issue. If you feel someone is logically incoherent, then ask WHY. Question politely and elaborate on the issue, but losing your temper and derailing the thread into a flamefest accomplishes nothing. Even if we were all to somehow come to a complete consensus on the issue and decide, "Yes, gays should rightfully be allowed to marry," it doesn't go beyond this forum. We will only be left with a lot of hate and unresolved anger towards one another and this forum as a whole will suffer if we cannot discuss with civility.

I tried with you earlier. I never heard or read anything you said that in my opinion and others it seemed that sounded remotely convincing of why your argument should deprive others of basic civil rights and freedoms. You appeared to me to try and articulate the best you could what sounded like confused reasoning to perpetuate your hatred of homosexuals. I have no tolerance for that. And since our earlier conversations only left me wanting blood, I left it alone. I wasn't talking sense to you, and you only pissed me off. Not interested in having anymore to do with your hatred.

When two or more groups have an interest in a particular subject - you cannot call people haters because they lean towards one more than another.

If however, I am deluding myself - as I suspect is a rampant problem on this thread - and am proffering hate please quote these hate statements of mine. I don't want to be a hater - but wishful thinking often does not suffice.

So please quote my hate statements, so that I may retract/reform them.

Let me ask those of you who are upset: How well do you really understand [MENTION=862]Flavus Aquila[/MENTION]'s position? I've seen a lot of inferrential negativity rather than him expressing so explicitly.

By definition, are not all heterosexuals homophobic to a certain degree? I am straight and so, personally, I am opposed to any sort of homosexual behavior. You might say, "How can you be opposed to something you haven't tried?" This is because at a fundamental level I am homophobic. Does this mean I hate gays or that I am opposed to gay marriage or gay rights? No, it does not. There is a difference between my own and other's beliefs and behaviors.

So I ask you, how well do you really think you understand [MENTION=862]Flavus Aquila[/MENTION]'s position? Because he doesn't believe in gay marriage, does that mean he hates gays? I dunno, possibly. I think it'd be better if you'd question his position to realize where he's coming from rather than jump to conclusions that may or may not be true.

*meekly raises her hand* I just wanted to say that I still think this all goes back to love, as others have said... doesn't really matter what the composition of the family is, but the love and care you share with one another.

Yeah, cheesy, but still. Also, as it pertains to some people thinking it might be harmful to not have a mother and a father present, it takes a village to raise a child, and a village does raise a child. It's ideal that they learn from many sources to become as well-rounded as possible, beyond mere gender. Plus, the mother/father argument assumes that the parental units will provide wisdom stereotypical for each parent, which isn't necessarily the case.

So, yes, as far as family structures go, it is most important to me that a child receives love, and that they are taken care of. This doesn't have anything to do with whether the parents or guardians are gay, lesbian, bi, straight, asexual, whatever.

[MODS] Dear all,

Please cease the personal attacks and off-topic posts.

-INFJ forum staff[/MODS]

*meekly raises her hand* I just wanted to say that I still think this all goes back to love, as others have said... doesn't really matter what the composition of the family is, but the love and care you share with one another.

Yeah, cheesy, but still. Also, as it pertains to some people thinking it might be harmful to not have a mother and a father present, it takes a village to raise a child, and a village does raise a child. It's ideal that they learn from many sources to become as well-rounded as possible, beyond mere gender. Plus, the mother/father argument assumes that the parental units will provide wisdom stereotypical for each parent, which isn't necessarily the case.

So, yes, as far as family structures go, it is most important to me that a child receives love, and that they are taken care of. This doesn't have anything to do with whether the parents or guardians are gay, lesbian, bi, straight, asexual, whatever.
@Dragon : Thank you, I think some mod oversight will keep this thread on the level of discussion. (I think we're all grateful for that and we all needed it).

Parenting in committed gay unions are connected to issues of adoption, surrogacy, or gamete donation.

While those things may occasionally be issues connected with some married couples, marriage itself is implicitly connected with the conception and raising of children. Contraception in marriage is a totally different topic all together.

I tried with you earlier. I never heard or read anything you said that in my opinion and others it seemed that sounded remotely convincing of why your argument should deprive others of basic civil rights and freedoms.

Ok ok okk ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. I don't care about the rest of the post and how nefarious rfarrious wants to be. (sorry I had to do that :O ).

I want to make another thread, but I don't feel like maintaining it so I won't, on this exact topic:'

What IS basic civil rights and liberties?

That is a very good question that very few have an answer to, while the rest have a very bad answer very much most of the time.

And I am very, serious. Super srs at that.

Is Marriage a basic civil right? I personally am not saying yay or nay at this time, not for lack of decision, but for want of another persons view.
What else is a basic civil right besides life, liberty and property?

*because oh btw, even though some gays can face discrimination at the hand of a landlord... TADA.They can own their own land as well, and reproduce... err not reproduce like jack rabbits and no one can tell them differently.

Tell me now, in this backwards america, when you compare to the rest of the world where gays are treated so horribly (besides like the 5 (possibly incestually based) countries in europe) why we in america are so god awful.

On another tangent: I laugh wehn Europe says "oh hey you guys are dumb, fat, and lazy!" and americans go "d'oh! we are" and the americans don't even see all the europeans laying on their asses not doing shit. Europe wants america to feel bad because they know america can quite literally sit on europe and suffocate them to death.

I am in full support of gay marriage.

As a gay person myself, I don't enjoy my rights being taken away.

This isn't a topic about what to have for dinner. This isn't what cannel should I watch on tv. This conversation has consequences. This affects people lives. You can't sit here and talk glibly about how a person may or may not be recognized as an equal with all the rights and freedoms all of us should equally get to express.

The arrogance is intolerable. How someone could start this topic and not anticipate the directions it might go is really frustrating.

I'm not black, but I would fight you to my death to defend you putting them at the back of a bus. I'm not a women, but I would gut you fot dinner if you tried to hit, rape or assault one. I'm not gay, but I'm just as passionate in the fight.

My comment was that I came back after reading the last few posts and understood this topic hadn't advanced in any meaningful way. Within 15 seconds the same people that were arguing with me a month ago were still lurking waiting for something to gnaw on. This tells me they are unresolved with their own position. They are still searching for why they feel the way they do, but some part of them knows they are wrong. Good luck to you. I care about the topic, but maybe not so much about making you a human being. That's not my job.

People will read this thread, and people have for their entire lives fought this battle, and at the end they will what???
Have hope? Hope that the world will acknowledge them as people. Treat them with decency. I'm guessing not. I'm guessing they will be frustrated, maybe cry a bit, maybe be discouraged because we are all talking about the most important issues in their lives and all we focus on is having an argument about "what makes you so special to come here are talk to people in the manner you are blah, blah, blah"

It's not about us, it's not about them and their rights. And I gave up when I understood you couldn't. And my hope is to make you see that, but I probably can't.

I'm an INFJ. The greater good, society, humanity all strike close to my heart.
Defending your little world concerns is boring. You need to understand how your little world views destroys the lives of others. If what I'm saying makes you uncomfortable, you need to examine why. I'm not uncomfortable saying it.

Until you open your mind and ask questions, you are the enemy and need to be destroyed.

Arguments about the meaning of marriage for children is empty and vapid. It hold no water any more than my argument we shouldn't race boats because it makes too much noise and people on Pluto can't sleep at night.
You can try and make that an argument, but I doubt anyone would buy it.

Last edited:
It's not about us, it's not about them and their rights. And I gave up when I understood you couldn't. And my hope is to make you see that, but I probably can't.

Out of all your rambling, posturing, and condescension this makes the least sense. What are you trying to say?

Out of all your rambling, posturing, and condescension this makes the least sense. What are you trying to say?

Not sure what doesn't make sense.
It's not about us. Meaning this conversation. It's about gay marriage. And how that affects their lives. Meaning the people who are gay who want to get married.

Sorry if I come across condescending. But I guess that's what it is then.
Just trying to appeal to the greater cause. That maybe this conversation has bigger implications than just a bunch of opinions. To be condescending again I'm sure, I thought that was clear.

Parenting in committed gay unions are connected to issues of adoption, surrogacy, or gamete donation.

While those things may occasionally be issues connected with some married couples, marriage itself is implicitly connected with the conception and raising of children. Contraception in marriage is a totally different topic all together.

I'm probably going to regret getting back into this shit-- but no.

Do you actually think that people using contraception/birth control/not having babies altogether is in any way the state's business? Seriously, it boggles the mind. Should we also start putting cameras in everyone's houses so we can make sure they're doing it in the missionary position, eyes closed, noticeably uncomfortable and thinking about Jesus? 'Sorry, you haven't had babies yet so we're going to have to cancel your marriage and there's nothing you can do.'

And exactly what kind of long-term effects do you think adoption, surrogacy or gamete donation have on the upbringing of a child? How often do you think that people actually think about how they were conceived, or how they came to be in the care of the people who raised them, compared to all of those years that their parents spent trying to make them into decent human beings? Have you actually met any children who were raised by gay parents? Or who were adopted? There are people on this forum who actually got squeamish in the 'post the song you were conceived to' thread… it's not something people actively think about. It's not something that parents actively think about, past the paperwork.

I'm still puzzled with why you brought up the whole 'some married people are only interested in themselves' thing because it definitely doesn't apply to people universally… but in your case, it's as if you think so little of other people (and especially gay people) that you're not willing to trust that most people could ever do a good job with this, and they all need your help.

Yes, some gay people will probably not do a good job of raising their children… mostly because they're also human beings and they're not perfect, much like the straight people who don't do a good job of raising their children, of which you've already provided an example. Raising children is hard work and for the most part nobody knows how to do it right… but one constant is that everyone seems to have some pretty big ideas about how it should all go down, including you. But you don't actually know what it's like, and you can't say for certain that someone else's way of raising their kids is inferior to yours… and that goes double for all of the gay people that you don't even know, however assured you are in your judgments of them.

And again, none of these things actively depend upon marriage… and barring some sort of fascist dictatorship/Orwellian nightmare state, they never will. If you want to make it illegal to ignore your kids, then good luck with that-- but if you really want to protect the children, then why go after gay marriage instead of focusing on child welfare laws? I mean, besides the fact that you prefer to cling to some romanticized vision of the ancient past, as if it's still applicable…

No matter how selfish you seem to think everyone is for wanting a society that reflects their own interests, there's absolutely no point in having some narrow, obsolete, intentionally exclusive definition of it that limits freedoms for everyone involved just because that's what you personally think the world should be like. No one is intentionally trying to hurt anyone, they're just doing what they think is the right thing for everyone including themselves… and it's not up to you or anyone else to pronounce them unworthy or wrong… unless you can say for sure that you know exactly how to raise a perfect ubermensch child or whatever it is that you expect everyone else to be.

To be honest, I don't even think that the majority should be allowed to control the legal/social definition of a word-- I would actually even go further and say that individuals should have the right to define their own relationships in whatever terms they see fit to define them, including marriage. Because relationships are really nobody else's business, and the state should serve the needs of individuals, not itself/painfully outdated and oppressive ideals/whatever constitutes the majority. You wouldn't argue in favor of tax breaks for gay people who can't get married, would you? I mean, if they work and they're pouring money into the system, yet not eligible for all of the breaks that married couples receive, it doesn't seem fair that they wouldn't be excluded from funding these things… and especially from funding those political bodies that willfully oppress them.

As easy as it is to romanticize an era that you can never experience, marriage no longer means what you seem to want it to mean, and there is absolutely no good reason why we can't be more inclusive as a society. You can't just ignore centuries of positive, progressive change in favor of an obsolete definition and then expect it to hold true, and pretend that someone's degree of commitment to the raising of children isn't a completely separate issue from the degree of their commitment to another person.

TL, DR:

Obsolete definitions of words are irrelevant, clinging to them is counterproductive.
Marriage is not the same as child-rearing, and can and should be considered separately.
Nobody knows the best way to raise a child anyways.
People should be able to define their relationships however they want according to their own beliefs, and any state that would refuse to acknowledge that freedom is oppressive.

Last edited:

I'm probably going to regret getting back into this shit-- but no.

Do you actually think that people using contraception/birth control/not having babies altogether is in any way the state's business? Seriously, it boggles the mind. Should we also start putting cameras in everyone's houses so we can make sure they're doing it in the missionary position, eyes closed, noticeably uncomfortable and thinking about Jesus? 'Sorry, you haven't had babies yet so we're going to have to cancel your marriage and there's nothing you can do.'

And exactly what kind of long-term effects do you think adoption, surrogacy or gamete donation have on the upbringing of a child? How often do you think that people actually think about how they were conceived, or how they came to be in the care of the people who raised them, compared to all of those years that their parents spent trying to make them into decent human beings? Have you actually met any children who were raised by gay parents? Or who were adopted? There are people on this forum who actually got squeamish in the 'post the song you were conceived to' thread… it's not something people actively think about. It's not something that parents actively think about, past the paperwork.

I'm still puzzled with why you brought up the whole 'some married people are only interested in themselves' thing because it definitely doesn't apply to people universally… but in your case, it's as if you think so little of other people (and especially gay people) that you're not willing to trust that most people could ever do a good job with this, and they all need your help.

Yes, some gay people will probably not do a good job of raising their children… mostly because they're also human beings and they're not perfect, much like the straight people who don't do a good job of raising their children, of which you've already provided an example. Raising children is hard work and for the most part nobody knows how to do it right… but one constant is that everyone seems to have some pretty big ideas about how it should all go down, including you. But you don't actually know what it's like, and you can't say for certain that someone else's way of raising their kids is inferior to yours… and that goes double for all of the gay people that you don't even know, however assured you are in your judgments of them.

And again, none of these things actively depend upon marriage… and barring some sort of fascist dictatorship/Orwellian nightmare state, they never will. If you want to make it illegal to ignore your kids, then good luck with that-- but if you really want to protect the children, then why go after gay marriage instead of focusing on child welfare laws? I mean, besides the fact that you prefer to cling to some romanticized vision of the ancient past, as if it's still applicable…

No matter how selfish you seem to think everyone is for wanting a society that reflects their own interests, there's absolutely no point in having some narrow, obsolete, intentionally exclusive definition of it that limits freedoms for everyone involved just because that's what you personally think the world should be like. No one is intentionally trying to hurt anyone, they're just doing what they think is the right thing for everyone including themselves… and it's not up to you or anyone else to pronounce them unworthy or wrong… unless you can say for sure that you know exactly how to raise a perfect ubermensch child or whatever it is that you expect everyone else to be.

To be honest, I don't even think that the majority should be allowed to control the legal/social definition of a word-- I would actually even go further and say that individuals should have the right to define their own relationships in whatever terms they see fit to define them, including marriage. Because relationships are really nobody else's business, and the state should serve the needs of individuals, not itself/painfully outdated and oppressive ideals/whatever constitutes the majority. You wouldn't argue in favor of tax breaks for gay people who can't get married, would you? I mean, if they work and they're pouring money into the system, yet not eligible for all of the breaks that married couples receive, it doesn't seem fair that they wouldn't be excluded from funding these things… and especially from funding those political bodies that willfully oppress them.

As easy as it is to romanticize an era that you can never experience, marriage no longer means what you seem to want it to mean, and there is absolutely no good reason why we can't be more inclusive as a society. You can't just ignore centuries of positive, progressive change in favor of an obsolete definition and then expect it to hold true, and pretend that someone's degree of commitment to the raising of children isn't a completely separate issue from the degree of their commitment to another person.

TL, DR:

Obsolete definitions of words are irrelevant, clinging to them is counterproductive.
Marriage is not the same as child-rearing, and can and should be considered separately.
Nobody knows the best way to raise a child anyways.
People should be able to define their relationships however they want according to their own beliefs, and any state that would refuse to acknowledge that freedom is oppressive.

I don't know how you jumped to so many unrelated topics from such a short post of mine.

My point was that for committed heterosexual couples the question of conceiving and raising their own children together will always be something that is considered. (Whether to have many, few, none, sooner, later, etc. ) That is to say that reproduction is implicitly connected with marriage.

Such considerations (conceiving and raising their own children together) can never be part of a committed homosexual couple's life - unless there is some way that two females, or two males can reproduce. For committed (ie. faithful, exclusive) homosexual couples reproduction is not implicitly part of their relationship. If a homosexual couple elects, as an additional feature to their lifestyle, to raise children - it will be a question of adoption, surrogacy, gamete donation, etc.

My point in pointing out the obvious is that heterosexual couples are very distinct from homosexual couples - because for them child bearing is an unavoidable consideration, and thus is implied in marriage. Whereas for homosexual couples the consideration of child rearing is not implied in their relationship - and is something which is an optional consideration, if considered at all.

Since you completely ignored everything I just said in order to repeat yourself, I'll keep it simple:

You don't think that your definition of marriage is obsolete, therefore irrelevant to the issue?

I don't think my take on marriage is obsolete. I also don't think my take on a man or a woman is obsolete. A church is a church. Christianity is Christianity. IOW, I stand strong in my beliefs and the way I view things. That does not disqualify me or anyone else from this "issue", nor does it make those views irrelevant.

If one cuts down a beautiful tree, I imagine there are those that will make something beautiful out of it or from it. Don't think the tree can be changed to your liking or you must cut down the tree. Plant a tree of your own.

This isn't a topic about what to have for dinner. This isn't what cannel should I watch on tv. This conversation has consequences. This affects people lives. You can't sit here and talk glibly about how a person may or may not be recognized as an equal with all the rights and freedoms all of us should equally get to express.

The arrogance is intolerable. How someone could start this topic and not anticipate the directions it might go is really frustrating.

I'm not black, but I would fight you to my death to defend you putting them at the back of a bus. I'm not a women, but I would gut you fot dinner if you tried to hit, rape or assault one. I'm not gay, but I'm just as passionate in the fight.

Would you fight for the rights of a conservative? Nope, I guess not. Well that pretty much makes your entire point moot at this point.

And you quite literally ignore every single post I make. Which is fine, I mean, maybe you're still pissed because I said I don't want you on my blog anymore. But still. Don't berate Flavus for "ignoring" your crap and then go and ignore mine/his.

Arguments about the meaning of marriage for children is empty and vapid. It hold no water any more than my argument we shouldn't race boats because it makes too much noise and people on Pluto can't sleep at night.
You can try and make that an argument, but I doubt anyone would buy it.

Do you even understand the point of arguing? That's actually a genuine question. but then again perhaps you're so open minded that to even argue is bigoted, and I guess I should just ... go home?

And stop apologizing without meaning it. Why even apologize at that point.

Wow...

While I've been on the road and gone for 24 hours - I've been mulling over this thread. I am just now reading the posts after mine.

You guys must be an amalgam of what goes on in the US Congress. Bickering and bickering and posturing for your own agendas...

You know....we could all get together and propose a plan of action here in the US and then Australia may follow.

I came up with these ideas and would like someone to find the "illogic" in my logic.

We could draft it in the form of a petition - get it posted on that website that promotes new ideas and changes in law - and then get it moved to social networks for people to sign.

It goes like this:

1. We get Congress to change the words in all laws from "marriage" to "civil unions".
This would grant equality in civil rights areas including but not limited to: HIPPA/Adoption/Taxes/Discrimination etc.

2. We get Congress to pass a law stating any persons entering into a Civil Union must take Parenting Classes.
In my state the Department of State Health Services provides Evidenced Based Parenting Training classes taught by a social worker to people who are involved with the Women's Infant Children program and Child Protective Services.
This is probably a requirement for all states who accept federal funding. The only people who would be exempt from having to take the classes would be people who provided medical proof they were unable to have children. I absolutely LOVE this idea because it sets precedence for the concept of training people to be better parents. The classes don't teach or preach morals/values/ethics. They teach parents the developmental stages of children - the responsibilities of each parent towards their children during the stages - better communication techniques between the parents and the family in general - and all kinds of information they should have been taught before they became parents. imho - it should be taught to all seniors in high school. Anyway it would show to the citizens that children are a priority. Wouldn't it be awesome to get a chance to teach all people a bit of developmental psychology - whether they have children or not. :D

3. The word "Marriage" would be reserved for any religious doctrines who wanted to keep it viable among their traditions and rites as they deem appropriate for their religion. Anyone wishing to get "married" must obtain a Civil Union license and they too would have to take the Parenting Classes. This allows groups of people who hold to the same ideals maintain their cultural mores and family traditions. They wouldn't feel threatened by the government forcing them to accept a revision in the definition of the word.

Soooo....what do you think?

Reactions: Saru Inc and hush
By the way...

Someone mentioned that it was ok for States Rights to pass laws against homosexual couples being married and/or adopting. That's a bad idea.... We have fought long and hard in this US country to attain what civil rights we have. We have even gone through a Civil War to fight for human rights. If you let the States get away with discrimination against the LGBT community - it will allow them to chip away at those rights we fought for. Also - we'll be even further divided and conquered than we already are.

To those of you who say "move". It's not that easy. I'm a prime example of that. I want to move. But I have 40 acres of rolling hills - pasture - 2 homes - and a barn. It will not be easy to sell - especially in today's economic climate. And why should I have to move - even if I wanted to stay - when I've made this my home? You're telling me I have to move just because my state decided to pass a law against people who they believe do not deserve to be treated as a person - based upon their religious beliefs? I don't know what other countries do - but my country was supposed to be founded upon Freedom of religious beliefs. It's called "Separation of Church and State".

Reactions: Saru Inc and hush