Votes: 63 82.9%
  • I support gay marriage but I would vote against it

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I dont support gay marriage but I would still vote for it

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Im against gay marriage and I would vote against it

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
Who said that having affairs doesnt tarnish the institution of marriage? Yes, gay marriage probably will be legal in the very near future, why so militant on the issue? Why can't the reverse be applied to homosexual couples: i.e. act committed to your partner and leave marriage to straight people. In the end we will just be giving homosexuals the opportunity to tarnish marriage as well. Lets just skip it to the next level of "progress" and have no one ever get married.

Well then why aren't people who have had affairs or divorces barred from being remarried?
(I think the Catholics will refuse to marry anyone who has been divorced, but you could still get legally married in another church and there isn't a state in the US that wouldn't recognize your marriage based on that.)

I agree with @Neverwhere that this overly romanticized and false ideal of marriage is frustrating because people are working to disempower another group based only on their delusions.

Reactions: Norton
Children need mum and dad to love them.

I think the issue of child rearing and early childhood practice is the most important one for a culture to be aware of and invested in. This is, in no uncertain terms, the basis of our society and our civilisation. Our concepts of relationships, family and child rearing has been constantly changing throughout history and different cultures have vastly diverse ideals.

I did share your views regarding family. I thought that the nuclear family with clear gender role models was the ideal situation for a child to be born in, preferably with lots of love and interaction from grand-parents and extended family as well. In practice this situation rarely occurs in this manner. We all have our idiosyncratic issues and communication problems that we bring into our families, that we pass onto the next generation.

There are many broken homes and unhappy people out there. There are millions of unwanted pregnancies.There are millions and millions of neglected children. There are millions of children in orphanages. There is a lot of domestic violence and abuse against spouses and children. These problems occur because there is a lack of love, self awareness, honesty and ability to communicate. These problems are apparent and capable of occurring in any family dynamic- heterosexual or homosexual relationships. There are also a lot of happy and well adjusted people out there that have secure attachments and know how to love- this can be facilitated in both heterosexual and homosexual families, as long as there is love and willingness to communicate.

I do not think that the state should be able to dictate how humans conduct their most intimate of affairs- relationships and child rearing, aside from providing rules and conditions to prevent abuse and violence, basically the upholding of human rights for all. I think that human rights is a sore issue here, given that most children around the world and even in the minority world do not have full access to human rights. I see this as more of a cultural issue than a legal one. As a culture we do not value love, communication, freedom, responsibility and learning. Rather, we value security, competition, selfish behaviour and instant gratification. These are the issues that create the instability and inherent abuse in our relationships and families. When people are worried about personal security and pleasing themselves rather than caring for their children and their neighbours children.

We need to foster more openness, sharing and honesty in our culture, endeavour to live in a community as opposed to an economy. These are the steps that can heal our families and give children every opportunity to be the best people they can be. Ideally, it takes a village to raise a child, not just a couple. Exposure to many different people, lots of knowledge, sharing, and Love.
One of the cruellest things to do to a child is to isolate them and deprive them of freedom and social interaction. Its through exposure and experience that we learn, particularly children. No one person can raise a well rounded and balanced child by themselves successfully. Nor can a couple achieve this. We need each other, support and interaction from the greater community. Then whatever context we have children in- whether it be in homosexual relationships or heterosexual relationships, the children will have the best chance.

Childcare and education are two areas we need to invest significantly into. Teachers and child care workers should receive the highest esteem to be involved in perhaps the most significant, respectable and honourable work one can do within a community. There are many life skills that are now dying out because parents of the last two generations have not been able to teach their children- cooking, gardening, budgeting, critical thinking, conserving resources. There also needs to be much more emphasis on teaching teenagers not only about sexual health and pregnancy, but about everything that comes afterward- child rearing. This is the most important stage of the life span yet such little emphasis, knowledge and support is available to those most vulnerable- young parents and their children. Raising children is the most difficult and important thing that any human could do in their lifetime, and ideally we should be aware and ready before bringing another life into this world. More often than not, that is not the case however. I believe in complete sexual and fertility freedom, I would never ever support forced sterilisation or compulsory contraceptive use. These are a personal affair at the individual's discretion. If a pregnancy is unplanned, the rest of the community should come together to provide what support and Love is necessary, for the parents and for the child No one can or should have to do this alone. All children are equally worthy of all our love. Our children are the future and they deserve the very best we have to give. This can be achieved through cultural change, not through specific definitions of marriage. As long as the children have love, and access to the greater community and resources, I cannot see how it would make a difference if a child was raised by two men or two women or by a single parent, or any other family dynamic.

Well then why aren't people who have had affairs or divorces barred from being remarried?

Do you think they should?
(I think the Catholics will refuse to marry anyone who has been divorced, but you could still get legally married in another church and there isn't a state in the US that wouldn't recognize your marriage based on that.)

I agree with @Neverwhere that this overly romanticized and false ideal of marriage is frustrating because people are working to disempower another group based only on their delusions.

It has become apparent that religious people feel attacked because their institution has been adopted by the state and is being changed into something it was never meant to be. I think that one underlying fear is that the secular is going to bleed into the religious and society is going to chastise these religious groups if they dont participate in the changes. I get that the label of marriage carries with it a lot of laws that make things easier like hospital visits and adoption. I just dont think secular groups should be co-opting religious institutions because it just leads to everyone getting upset. (That includes the secular state co-opting marriage)

It has become apparent that religious people feel attacked because their institution has been adopted by the state and is being changed into something it was never meant to be.

It hasn't changed. Other people have their own version of it. Even other religious people have their own version of it. Even people within the same religion have their own version of it. We're not talking about the people who 'created' marriage, because they are dead.

If you don't want to acknowledge it, then don't acknowledge it-- but to deny other people just because you think you own society/the law is just selfish. Plus, didn't most modern Christians basically steal their entire religion from the Jews?

I think that one underlying fear is that the secular is going to bleed into the religious and society is going to chastise these religious groups if they dont participate in the changes.

Only if they let it.

I get that the label of marriage carries with it a lot of laws that make things easier like hospital visits and adoption. I just dont think secular groups should be co-opting religious institutions because it just leads to everyone getting upset. (That includes the secular state co-opting marriage)

No, it leads to certain groups being upset. Not co-opting them also upsets people… which is pretty obvious if you look at this thread. People are always going to be upset about things… and that's fine. But denying certain groups freedoms that are perfectly benign and even widely acknowledged by religious denominations, governments, and also the majority of popular opinion simply because you're afraid of how a few people are going to react is hardly rational.

Reactions: the
Why is that?

Because I grew up in the church...in fact...my parents were missionaries, and I witnessed a lot first hand. Christians get all up on their high horse about the sanctity of marriage, yet they make the biggest joke out of it.

From sexual, physical, mental/emotional abuse in the home, to extra marital affairs, lack of love. No sex before marriage? Get married young and bang away! I don't think that last sentence is even a concious factor for most people. It's just christian culture.....get married young, because most of us can't do without sex and God has intended you for someone anyway. I have a friend who is recently divorced after a five year marriage, and I have so muchc respect for her for just going through with it.

I could go on and on. It just baffles me. With all of this going on in the churches (and it is whether you realise it or not, its just more hush hush in religious circles) you would think Christians of all people with their Jesus and their teachings would have a little humility about the whole thing (aren't they supposed to be the first ones to raise their hands as sinners and thank God for His forgiveness??) and realise we're all just PEOPLE. Jesus loves the gays too you know. Duh.

EDIT: I'm now going to back out of th thread for a little while. I apologise to any Christians that might be offended by this point, I really don't mean any offense. I still go to church every week and have a lot of respect for most of the christians in my life. Dwelling on some of the experiences I've had has brought out some inner rage, which was reflected in the somewhatangry posting. Apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norton and the
Wow...

While I've been on the road and gone for 24 hours - I've been mulling over this thread. I am just now reading the posts after mine.

You guys must be an amalgam of what goes on in the US Congress. Bickering and bickering and posturing for your own agendas...

You know....we could all get together and propose a plan of action here in the US and then Australia may follow.

I came up with these ideas and would like someone to find the "illogic" in my logic.

We could draft it in the form of a petition - get it posted on that website that promotes new ideas and changes in law - and then get it moved to social networks for people to sign.

It goes like this:

1. We get Congress to change the words in all laws from "marriage" to "civil unions".
This would grant equality in civil rights areas including but not limited to: HIPPA/Adoption/Taxes/Discrimination etc.

2. We get Congress to pass a law stating any persons entering into a Civil Union must take Parenting Classes.
In my state the Department of State Health Services provides Evidenced Based Parenting Training classes taught by a social worker to people who are involved with the Women's Infant Children program and Child Protective Services.
This is probably a requirement for all states who accept federal funding. The only people who would be exempt from having to take the classes would be people who provided medical proof they were unable to have children. I absolutely LOVE this idea because it sets precedence for the concept of training people to be better parents. The classes don't teach or preach morals/values/ethics. They teach parents the developmental stages of children - the responsibilities of each parent towards their children during the stages - better communication techniques between the parents and the family in general - and all kinds of information they should have been taught before they became parents. imho - it should be taught to all seniors in high school. Anyway it would show to the citizens that children are a priority. Wouldn't it be awesome to get a chance to teach all people a bit of developmental psychology - whether they have children or not. :D

3. The word "Marriage" would be reserved for any religious doctrines who wanted to keep it viable among their traditions and rites as they deem appropriate for their religion. Anyone wishing to get "married" must obtain a Civil Union license and they too would have to take the Parenting Classes. This allows groups of people who hold to the same ideals maintain their cultural mores and family traditions. They wouldn't feel threatened by the government forcing them to accept a revision in the definition of the word.

Soooo....what do you think?
In your proposal, thinking about it a little more than my past opinions, I don't think the term "marriage" should be rendered to basically mean some sort of religious thing. Marriage is not a function of some religious beliefs, but rather religions seem to ceremonise, or sacralise marriage, to emphasise its importance/dignity/gravity/etc.

I think an entirely secular culture should also have means of marking the gravity/seriousness of the married state.

Why?

To answer, first of all, I don't want it assumed that I am talking about marriage in terms of two people walking down an aisle and being legally and morally bound to each other. I want to look at the bigger picture - about how marriage fits into human society - and the role it plays not just in the lives of individuals, but in terms of whole peoples. (After all, government legislation isn't about shaping individual's lives, but about maintaining a society, where individuals can function safely and freely).

It is an absurd notion, that ceremonies, or legal status should be afforded to two individuals who promise to love each other for life. You simply don't find a ceremony, or law for the establishment of Best Friends Forever - a BFF service at a courthouse. Nor is there an initiation/service/etc. for establishing a commited sexual relationship - no one goes to a civil celebrant before moving in with someone. What then makes marriage different from life-long best friends, or life-long sex partners? It simply cannot be a ramped-up or more serious version of either of those two things. Nor is it the amalgamation of the two: for it is common for best friend/sex partners deciding to finally marry after several years.

The only reason why there is a more public/official/legal/religionised is because some categories go beyond just the commitment of the partners, and go beyond the level of involvement of the partners. Some relationships are important to the good functioning of a society.

Given the relatively short lifespan of a human and the constant turn-over of the population - the process through which an individual is conceived, born, raised and integrated into a society, or culture is of very great importance to that society/culture. It is also of very great importance to the parents and family of that child - or at least it should be. There is in the raising of any child two factors at play: the significance of that process to the society; and the significance to the parents. You could add a third factor, which is the significance of the process to the child, but until the child reaches the age of majority (ie. no longer a child), the responsibility for determining the best for the child lies both with the state and with the parents/guardians.

When there is a conflict of interests between the state and parents you get either legal enforcement, or emigration - and sometimes, rarely, reform. For example, if parents neglect the education of a child, purposefully or by remiss interest, the state will override their perogative. Conversely, when a state enforces a manner of education contrary to the will of the parents, the parents can take their child elsewhere. Most significantly, however, is the state's interest that parents raise their children well. The first keystone in this expectation, is the expectation that both parents should normally be involved in the raising of children. In terms of state recognition of personal relationships - it seems that the state should only really have an interest in relationships which are ordered towards the conceiving and raising of children.

In terms of the topic of this thread, if there is a problem at present (in my opinion) - it is that among heterosexual couples there is a growing conceptual disconnect between marriage and the raising of a family. If a heterosexual couple want to love each other for ever - they should promise to be BFF. If a heterosexual couple want to have ongoing sexual relations, they should move in together. Marriage, however, imo should be what you do, when you intend to raise a family.

Expanding marriage to include not just those heterosexual couples who really only want to lifelong friends with benefits, but also homosexual couples basically implies that there is no particular interest on the part of the state in how the next generation of society will be raised and integrated into the current one.

So, my position is not only that homosexual couples should have a distinct category - say civil unions - but also that marriage be more restrictive for heterosexual couples - so that a significant (probably not large) proportion should actually be categorised in civil unions and not married.

In briefest terms: both heterosexual and homosexual couples should be termed civil unions, and marriage be reserved for family-raising couples.

Homosexuality tarnishes marriage but having affairs or getting divorced or abusing your spouse doesn't?
There is no such thing as the sacred institution of marriage. It is such an unrealistic and impractical idea to expect society to not evolve because it makes you uncomfortable.
Gay marriage WILL be legal. If not in this generation then the next. Support for gay marriage has been rising since the mid 90s.

Keep your own marriage "holy" if that is the concern. And why should you care if other people don't want to be married?
Putting "marriage" on an ivory tower - either seriously - or as a straw man target - isn't helpful. I suspect that it is partly this aspect - the rarefication of marriage - that is fueling the drive for homosexual marriage. You poke at the religious gilding of marriage, calling it the epitome of religious life: 'holy' - I hope you are as gruff with the secular gilding of marriage, making it the epitome of secular life: 'romantic' 'sign of acceptance' 'status' ,etc. I think a nitty-gritty approach, without talk of idealistic portraits of couples with undying love, visiting each other on deathbeds and images of social acceptance and status is best.

My view of marriage is almost farm-like an rural. If you are going to raise children, get married. Why else would you bother?

I think the issue of child rearing and early childhood practice is the most important one for a culture to be aware of and invested in. This is, in no uncertain terms, the basis of our society and our civilisation. Our concepts of relationships, family and child rearing has been constantly changing throughout history and different cultures have vastly diverse ideals.

I did share your views regarding family. I thought that the nuclear family with clear gender role models was the ideal situation for a child to be born in, preferably with lots of love and interaction from grand-parents and extended family as well. In practice this situation rarely occurs in this manner. We all have our idiosyncratic issues and communication problems that we bring into our families, that we pass onto the next generation.

There are many broken homes and unhappy people out there. There are millions of unwanted pregnancies.There are millions and millions of neglected children. There are millions of children in orphanages. There is a lot of domestic violence and abuse against spouses and children. These problems occur because there is a lack of love, self awareness, honesty and ability to communicate. These problems are apparent and capable of occurring in any family dynamic- heterosexual or homosexual relationships. There are also a lot of happy and well adjusted people out there that have secure attachments and know how to love- this can be facilitated in both heterosexual and homosexual families, as long as there is love and willingness to communicate.

I do not think that the state should be able to dictate how humans conduct their most intimate of affairs- relationships and child rearing, aside from providing rules and conditions to prevent abuse and violence, basically the upholding of human rights for all. I think that human rights is a sore issue here, given that most children around the world and even in the minority world do not have full access to human rights. I see this as more of a cultural issue than a legal one. As a culture we do not value love, communication, freedom, responsibility and learning. Rather, we value security, competition, selfish behaviour and instant gratification. These are the issues that create the instability and inherent abuse in our relationships and families. When people are worried about personal security and pleasing themselves rather than caring for their children and their neighbours children.

We need to foster more openness, sharing and honesty in our culture, endeavour to live in a community as opposed to an economy. These are the steps that can heal our families and give children every opportunity to be the best people they can be. Ideally, it takes a village to raise a child, not just a couple. Exposure to many different people, lots of knowledge, sharing, and Love.
One of the cruellest things to do to a child is to isolate them and deprive them of freedom and social interaction. Its through exposure and experience that we learn, particularly children. No one person can raise a well rounded and balanced child by themselves successfully. Nor can a couple achieve this. We need each other, support and interaction from the greater community. Then whatever context we have children in- whether it be in homosexual relationships or heterosexual relationships, the children will have the best chance.

Childcare and education are two areas we need to invest significantly into. Teachers and child care workers should receive the highest esteem to be involved in perhaps the most significant, respectable and honourable work one can do within a community. There are many life skills that are now dying out because parents of the last two generations have not been able to teach their children- cooking, gardening, budgeting, critical thinking, conserving resources. There also needs to be much more emphasis on teaching teenagers not only about sexual health and pregnancy, but about everything that comes afterward- child rearing. This is the most important stage of the life span yet such little emphasis, knowledge and support is available to those most vulnerable- young parents and their children. Raising children is the most difficult and important thing that any human could do in their lifetime, and ideally we should be aware and ready before bringing another life into this world. More often than not, that is not the case however. I believe in complete sexual and fertility freedom, I would never ever support forced sterilisation or compulsory contraceptive use. These are a personal affair at the individual's discretion. If a pregnancy is unplanned, the rest of the community should come together to provide what support and Love is necessary, for the parents and for the child No one can or should have to do this alone. All children are equally worthy of all our love. Our children are the future and they deserve the very best we have to give. This can be achieved through cultural change, not through specific definitions of marriage. As long as the children have love, and access to the greater community and resources, I cannot see how it would make a difference if a child was raised by two men or two women or by a single parent, or any other family dynamic.

Exactly. Although, the child's actual parents have an obligation to raise this or that particular child. Adoptive parents do not.

When there is an obligation, there must also be support to be able to fulfill that obligation.

...and the only thing I see changing are the morals of society.

Like I said: leave marriage out of the equation. It is for a man and a woman. Always has been; always will be. Why does anyone have such a problem with that?

I remember someone always wanted to be just like George Burns, but he never could be. Why not be yourself with your own virtues and leave us alone? Plant your own tree!

@Kgal , I am not accustomed to having someone understand me so readily and so easily....to be so outspoken about it.

Why do people take my/our ideas so negatively? Can't they see it would make things easier for everyone?

There are so many reasons my head exploded with all of the ideas coming into it at once. Aagghh. ...:shocked:

Ok. Let's start with the easy ones first...

There's several generations between you(me included) and the majority here on the forum. You can imagine how they may not perceive your intentions when you're making a reply. They don't have the same reference points as we do. We don't have theirs - either.

Many have pointed out marriage is not viewed the same way - by the majority of them - as was viewed when we were marrying. Realistically - the definition of marriage today is changing from our time. You know as well as I do they cannot begin to fathom the values taught to us by our parents. The world is completely different than then.

As you and I both live in relatively rural areas - what we see around us is not much changed from what it was 50 years ago. Where I live - there are still dirt roads and parades down main street with horses. People here cling on to definitions and behaviors based upon what was taught 50 years ago. But the area is dying...the people are fearful and rigid...and crime is on the rise....despite it being a predominately Baptist area.

When you and I were young - we were more confrontational and aggressive - than we are now. Do you remember being in your 20's? At that age many of us were still going through the differential developmental stage of life. We were trying to establish our selves - graduate from college - or establish a career - buy property - settle down with a spouse and have children. It was expected of us. It's not expected of them.

Other than the threat of nuclear war - our economic opportunities were more - than theirs. The people in their 30's and 20's are having the hardest time of any generation (in the Western society) than ever before - except our grandparents(depression era). I mean look at us: Our generation is bumping up against each other - and they are bumping up against us. You and I are the first generation to ever experience a total doubling of the population in our lifetimes.

There are LOT's of people now. There are LOT's of opportunity for misunderstandings and multiple cultural views.

I can remember going to a segregated school - seeing a huge flaming cross burned in the field next to my high school football stadium - getting stuff thrown at me - people yelling at screaming obscenities at one another. This was in regard to racism and bigotry and hatred. I know you remember those times.

This is one of those times come round again.

We've been through this before. We need to help them get what they need. Maybe in doing so - you can get what you Need as well.

Besides: we know INFJs are the ones to stand up for the underdogs. I can see it here. It's just they don't realize you think the traditional marriage is the underdog too.

You can get an annulment for this. Basically the church is like "Oh wait, nevermind, that marriage kind of sucked so we're going to pretend it never happened and wipe it off the slate." After that marriage is acceptable.

In your proposal, thinking about it a little more than my past opinions, I don't think the term "marriage" should be rendered to basically mean some sort of religious thing. Marriage is not a function of some religious beliefs, but rather religions seem to ceremonise, or sacralise marriage, to emphasise its importance/dignity/gravity/etc.

I think an entirely secular culture should also have means of marking the gravity/seriousness of the married state.

Why?

To answer, first of all, I don't want it assumed that I am talking about marriage in terms of two people walking down an aisle and being legally and morally bound to each other. I want to look at the bigger picture - about how marriage fits into human society - and the role it plays not just in the lives of individuals, but in terms of whole peoples. (After all, government legislation isn't about shaping individual's lives, but about maintaining a society, where individuals can function safely and freely).

It is an absurd notion, that ceremonies, or legal status should be afforded to two individuals who promise to love each other for life. You simply don't find a ceremony, or law for the establishment of Best Friends Forever - a BFF service at a courthouse. Nor is there an initiation/service/etc. for establishing a commited sexual relationship - no one goes to a civil celebrant before moving in with someone. What then makes marriage different from life-long best friends, or life-long sex partners? It simply cannot be a ramped-up or more serious version of either of those two things. Nor is it the amalgamation of the two: for it is common for best friend/sex partners deciding to finally marry after several years.

The only reason why there is a more public/official/legal/religionised is because some categories go beyond just the commitment of the partners, and go beyond the level of involvement of the partners. Some relationships are important to the good functioning of a society.

Given the relatively short lifespan of a human and the constant turn-over of the population - the process through which an individual is conceived, born, raised and integrated into a society, or culture is of very great importance to that society/culture. It is also of very great importance to the parents and family of that child - or at least it should be. There is in the raising of any child two factors at play: the significance of that process to the society; and the significance to the parents. You could add a third factor, which is the significance of the process to the child, but until the child reaches the age of majority (ie. no longer a child), the responsibility for determining the best for the child lies both with the state and with the parents/guardians.

When there is a conflict of interests between the state and parents you get either legal enforcement, or emigration - and sometimes, rarely, reform. For example, if parents neglect the education of a child, purposefully or by remiss interest, the state will override their perogative. Conversely, when a state enforces a manner of education contrary to the will of the parents, the parents can take their child elsewhere. Most significantly, however, is the state's interest that parents raise their children well. The first keystone in this expectation, is the expectation that both parents should normally be involved in the raising of children. In terms of state recognition of personal relationships - it seems that the state should only really have an interest in relationships which are ordered towards the conceiving and raising of children.

In terms of the topic of this thread, if there is a problem at present (in my opinion) - it is that among heterosexual couples there is a growing conceptual disconnect between marriage and the raising of a family. If a heterosexual couple want to love each other for ever - they should promise to be BFF. If a heterosexual couple want to have ongoing sexual relations, they should move in together. Marriage, however, imo should be what you do, when you intend to raise a family.

Expanding marriage to include not just those heterosexual couples who really only want to lifelong friends with benefits, but also homosexual couples basically implies that there is no particular interest on the part of the state in how the next generation of society will be raised and integrated into the current one.

So, my position is not only that homosexual couples should have a distinct category - say civil unions - but also that marriage be more restrictive for heterosexual couples - so that a significant (probably not large) proportion should actually be categorised in civil unions and not married.

In briefest terms: both heterosexual and homosexual couples should be termed civil unions, and marriage be reserved for family-raising couples.

Exactly. Although, the child's actual parents have an obligation to raise this or that particular child. Adoptive parents do not. When there is an obligation, there must also be support to be able to fulfill that obligation.

Unfortunately - the State really doesn't give much consideration to how children are raised and integrated into the society other than to learn how to be consumers and minimal quality workers. At least that's the current view here in the US.

[shaking head] Whew...I just don't see how what you're proposing can be accomplished with today's world views upon marriage. As I've said before - the word is tied with property/assets. The State is more concerned with that perspective and assets include the number of people residing in any given state. Marriage licenses give them much information about us. Then there's all the myriad rituals built into the self esteems of so many families and communities. It displays Status/Wealth/Power and on and on.

I can see the value in designating a construct - a term - to emphasize Family with children only. Then support can emphasized as well. I'm thinking the only way to accomplish it is to "de-value" the word now - and then reintroduce the word after a generation is dead and gone with your New value - a new definition. Surely you can see it would take people a long time to get used to the idea of it being changed... Also - many religions already emphasize Family synonymously with Marriage.

Another thought I had is the corporate attachment to marriage and all of the wealth they derive from the fantasies people have about what a wedding should be.

What do you do when 2 people get a civil union license with no intention of having children and then there is an accident and one is born? What do you do when 2 people get married and no children are born?

At least with my proposal - almost Everyone has to go through parenting classes. I'd like to think it would open their eyes as to the gravity of bringing children in this world and if they choose to go ahead - it would strengthen their resolve and commitment.

I think what you're really seeking is an unbreakable contract for a certain period of time between the parents when children are brought into their lives - whether biological or adoptive - as a family unit. For example: An 18 yr contract to be committed parents to the children and not leave. Then they can go their separate ways. I've actually proposed that idea in other threads....and I can see that coming one day...

Well... this is really a separate issue from Asarya's initial intent of her thread. I think I'll go check out the website where people can propose their ideas and seek others to sign a petition.

It has become apparent that religious people feel attacked because their institution has been adopted by the state and is being changed into something it was never meant to be. I think that one underlying fear is that the secular is going to bleed into the religious and society is going to chastise these religious groups if they dont participate in the changes. I get that the label of marriage carries with it a lot of laws that make things easier like hospital visits and adoption. I just dont think secular groups should be co-opting religious institutions because it just leads to everyone getting upset. (That includes the secular state co-opting marriage)

There are gay Christians. Why should they be denied the institution or "sacrament" of marriage because it makes some other Christians uncomfortable and threatened?
I've known a Catholic lesbian. Feel free to judge her based on her sexuality, of which Jesus spoke NOTHING of.

You'd think if God truly cared this much about gays getting married, he'd of had Jesus mention it somewhere.
Instead, Jesus seems to repeat over and over again: Love others, don't judge others, help others....UNCONDITIONALLY.

Instead, some religious folks keep going to the same place in the OT to back up their bigotry... of course they pass over the verses that command the stoning and execution of people for stealing, having affairs, shaving their beards, wearing garments of both wool and cotton and a hundred other insane rules.
It's funny that non-believers do better to follow those of Jesus' commands..

And no, I couldnt care less if people cheat on their spouses and remarry... or if anyone chooses to remarry for any reason.

The church should be paying taxes. Back taxes, too. For all the meddling it does in people's lives.
If anything, it's those speaking from the pulpit who work to whip their people up into a frenzy over these things--who work to involve the government by whining and demanding laws to prevent people from doing things they don't agree with.

I do think that if a church wants to deny gay people from marrying, then so be it.
Don't do the ceremony. Leave everyone else alone. Stop lobbying to legalize your particular brand of morality.
Why should the state do what the church wants? Because there is no separation.

Ideally, gay people should just form their own denominations and marry there, legally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
There are gay Christians. Why should they be denied the institution or "sacrament" of marriage because it makes some other Christians uncomfortable and threatened?

A homosexual marriage is not a sacrament.

If you want to join the catholic church and change thousands of years of tradition then have at it. I'm surprised you feel it is appropriate to push your beliefs on others concerning god and religion. Seems hypocritical but maybe I just am misunderstanding the whole thing..

A homosexual marriage is not a sacrament.

If you want to join the catholic church and change thousands of years of tradition then have at it. I'm surprised you feel it is appropriate to push your beliefs on others concerning god and religion. Seems hypocritical but maybe I just am misunderstanding the whole thing..
I just said they should be free to form their own denominations and marry.
So, am I really the one who is intolerant, here?

You can get an annulment for this. Basically the church is like "Oh wait, nevermind, that marriage kind of sucked so we're going to pretend it never happened and wipe it off the slate." After that marriage is acceptable.

Not always. My mother divorced by father for domestic violence in 1993, and the Catholic church would not remarry her even in 2002.
Is what I have been told. So in the Catholic Churchs' eyes, she is not truly married again. She could have gone to a Protestant Church and they would have married her, but she isn't Protestant.
Regardless, the Catholic Church doesn't validate some marriages that legally, are still marriages. The state doesn't call their union a domestic partnership.

Not always. My mother divorced by father for domestic violence in 1993, and the Catholic church would not remarry her even in 2002.
Is what I have been told.

Really? My mother's Catholic (though I am not...) and was granted an annulment by the church, not even that long after the divorce, back around 1998. After an annulment, to the church it's like the marriage/divorce never happened. That is interesting, I wonder if your mother has tried to get it annulled, or if it just happened to be something her particular church didn't allow. That would be curious, though, it is a fairly common thing.

Actually now im not sure if she tried to get it annulled or just went to the church years later and asked to be remarried.

Last edited:
Reactions: hush

It has become apparent that religious people feel attacked because their institution has been adopted by the state and is being changed into something it was never meant to be.

I guess you know what it's meant to be?

I think that one underlying fear is that the secular is going to bleed into the religious and society is going to chastise these religious groups if they dont participate in the changes. I get that the label of marriage carries with it a lot of laws that make things easier like hospital visits and adoption. I just dont think secular groups should be co-opting religious institutions because it just leads to everyone getting upset. (That includes the secular state co-opting marriage)

Just a xxucked up thing to say.
After everything you should see or understand there is a preference to hide behind religion. It's just a thought. You have no proof. NO PROOF. That, in my opinion, and many others, that your silly religious ideas have any merit.
So how do you justify ruining the lives of so many others based of the beliefs of an unfounded, unproven, and highly skeptical belief.

Thats why I earlier compared it to believing we were disrupting the lives of those on Pluto. You nor anyone else has any one thing to offer in the way of convincing evidence I should believe any of your religious crap than I should believe in a wired plutonian society dick-tating the laws of the universe.

If you could for half a second see how bizarre this appears to non religious people you might get half a glimpse at why we think of you as lost souls destroying our world.

Just saying.

I just said they should be free to form their own denominations and marry.
So, am I really the one who is intolerant, here?

Yes you just said after changing your post like 5 times. I replied to proabably the third time.

I guess you know what it's meant to be?

Just a xxucked up thing to say.
After everything you should see or understand there is a preference to hide behind religion. It's just a thought. You have no proof. NO PROOF. That, in my opinion, and many others, that your silly religious ideas have any merit.
So how do you justify ruining the lives of so many others based of the beliefs of an unfounded, unproven, and highly skeptical belief.

Thats why I earlier compared it to believing we were disrupting the lives of those on Pluto. You nor anyone else has any one thing to offer in the way of convincing evidence I should believe any of your religious crap than I should believe in a wired plutonian society dick-tating the laws of the universe.

If you could for half a second see how bizarre this appears to non religious people you might get half a glimpse at why we think of you as lost souls destroying our world.

Just saying.

Right. I have a hidden agenda that in order to complete I have to hide behind the illusion of religion. Im really up to no good and plan on oppressing everyone so that I may become rich and take all your gold. To do this I must make sure that gays never marry! Dont be such a dumb hillbilly.