[Important] - Please try to sign this... | INFJ Forum

[Important] Please try to sign this...

Phage

Community Member
May 8, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
It's a petition against the Anti-Homosexual bill in Uganda.

Update: May 9 2011
In 48 hours, the Ugandan Parliament may vote on a brutal new law that carries the death penalty for homosexuality. Thousands of Ugandans could face execution -- just for being gay.

We've helped stop this bill before, and we can do it again. After a massive global outcry last year, Ugandan President Museveni blocked the bill's progress. But political unrest is mounting in Uganda, and religious extremists in Parliament are hoping confusion and violence in the streets will distract the international community from a second push to pass this hate-filled law. We can show them that the world is still watching. If we block the vote for two more days until Parliament closes, the bill will expire forever.

We have no time to lose. Let’s get to one million voices against Uganda's gay death penalty in the next 12 hours -- sign now then spread the word about this campaign!

Sign Here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/uganda_stop_homophobia_petition_2/?copy

Last edited:
Stopping this won't change the general attitude towards homosexuality in Uganda and discrimination (if there is any) will probably continue, but thanks for notifying. I signed regardless.

I think it's been repealed already anyway. And I don't think that just because it won't change the mind of a few, doesn't mean we shouldn't try anything.

I think it's been repealed already anyway. And I don't think that just because it won't change the mind of a few, doesn't mean we shouldn't try anything.
Of course. I'm just thinking out loud.

:eek:, now that we're talking about how signing couldn't possibly hurt. My NeFi senses have deduced that it is indeed possible to provoke negative feedback from signing a petition.
Some countries are ruled under a regime that are highly anti western or value their autonomy greatly. By creating a petition that is a direct reaction of the ruling parties decisions the regime in question may react negatively to this by making a direct statement against westernisation/infringement to their autonomy.

Foreign interference in specific country may backfire leading to undesirable results.

I mean, it's only a possibility, I'm not saying it will happeeen :eek: It might, though, you know :eek: ~ Anyways, I'm sure there are countries out there that are influenced in this way. It's reverse psychology, right? North Korea, Iran~ I guess they'd make laws merely to make a statement towards the western world, it's possible, right?

SHOULD I SIGN OR SHOULD I NOT SIGN?

Lol, I'm kidding, I think. I'm gay, whatever I say in this thread is probably most likely pardoned (Gawd, these social protocols are damn scary)

So scary. I was just about to write something very controversial. I'm not sure if I would be pardoned for that, people might see me as some kind of traitor :eek: ~ That's SO NOT WORTH IT. You know what's scary about forums? That everyone can read it. I mean if you're talking one on one then there are less consequences attached. But then again.... wait, you know. This post will end here.

Signed.

Close-minded people aren't going to be more open-minded because of some internet petition.
If the people want to kill gay people, they'll probably see people who signed as gay supporting = stupid and must be killed too.
It probably won't change anything.

But we don't have anything to lose, so I signed anyways.

You never know what will shake up the world.

Every little effort helps towards making a change, a difference

Why would Uganda's important people even CARE about this?
Maybe something more concrete could work, but not this...

Why would Uganda's important people even CARE about this?
Maybe something more concrete could work, but not this...
Example?

More education about that kind of thing to young children so the future generations accept it.
Most adults already made their opinions about the world and it's near impossible to change them.

More education about that kind of thing to young children so the future generations accept it.
Most adults already made their opinions about the world and it's near impossible to change them.
Exactly.

Of course, it's gonna be a while before all the old, homophobic people die out.
Though Homophobia won't truly die out, it can be curbed with like you said, education, and undoing of people's ignorance, and encouraging tolerance, acceptance, understanding.

Apparently the bill has been delayed, though it is going to be re-opened for debate this Friday. :(

International pressure wins... for now.

The international pressure has worked! Uganda has abandoned the Kill the Gays bill, closing parliament in the face of an unprecedented global outcry.

This is an important step, but the fight isn’t over yet - while we stopped the Kill the Gays bill from passing in this session of parliament, conservatives in Uganda are vowing to bring it back later this year.

SOURCES:

Uganda anti-gay bill pushed out of parliament
www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/13/uganda-anti-gay-bill-shelved

Uganda's "kill the gays" bill shelved again
af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE74C0HP20110513

Social Media Fights Ugandan Anti-Gay Legislation
mashable.com/2011/05/11/social-media-uganda-lgbt/

Uganda leaves anti-gay bill on shelf
www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2011/05/13/Uganda-leaves-anti-gay-bill-on-shelf/UPI-64991305305051/

By creating a petition that is a direct reaction of the ruling parties decisions the regime in question may react negatively to this by making a direct statement against westernisation/infringement to their autonomy.

Foreign interference in specific country may backfire leading to undesirable results.

International pressure has worked before in Uganda on this issue. Your scepticism is valid, but their track record shows the opposite impact.

International pressure has worked before in Uganda on this issue. Your scepticism is valid, but their track record shows the opposite impact.

Huh, nooo, It's not scepticism :(

I just said that such a scenario is also possible. It was just for the funs and the lols~ I didn't actually assume that this would happen~ I mean, I could guess which outcome is most probable~ but I mean, it could be something else, right?

waaaait.... I think you already knew this..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

lol