Philosophically satisfying movies | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Philosophically satisfying movies

@Ren, thanks for the suggestions, it's cool to see a Tarkovsky movie there too. I was thinking of Stalker (being the only one of his I've seen and it fits quite well) but Solaris looks like it'll be well worth seeing.

No problem! Glad to be of help with suggestions :) Would you believe it, I have not seen Stalker yet. It's one of those movies that I for some reason am still preparing myself for. Not necessarily because it's very long. It's just that I've heard so much about it, and it's Tarkovsky so... I need to be prepared. Solaris and The Mirror are two of my favorite movies ever.

Here are some more "philosophical movies" suggestions:

The Seventh Seal by Ingmar Bergman (1957) - to me it's an existential meditation on the meaning of death in life. A classic.

Autumn Sonata by the same Ingmar Bergman (1978) - Ingrid Bergman is extraordinary in that film.

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul by Rainer Fassbinder (1974) - I won't say anything about that one. People should watch it.

The Gospel According to St. Matthew by Pier Paolo Pasolini (1964) - Or the life of Jesus seen by an atheist and a Marxist. Very honest, profound, universal.

But also.... Days of Heaven by Terence Mallick (1978), Kurosawa's Ikiru (1952), and of course The Truman Show (1998).

Well.. I haven't seen any of Tarkovsky's other movies and it was due to basically laziness of not checking out what other movies he had done. That will definitely be rectified now that I know they exist and they've been recommended. As for Stalker, yes, you have to be in a certain mindset to really get into it - preferably a contemplative one on the day you end up watching it. Definitely not like watching the average movie.
And another thanks for the new selection. I'm taking notes now :)

Au Hasard Balthazar by Robert Bresson (1966) for capturing in film the meaning of saintliness. The main character in the movie is a donkey.

Solaris by Andrei Tarkovsky (1972) for the depth of its existential themes. The most profound science fiction/space exploration film of all time, in my opinion.

Winter Sleep by Nuri Bilge Ceylan (2014) for its unparalleled exploration of the intricacies of human motivations and psychology, and the role of place in human life. There is also a subtle cosmic view about that film. Gorgeous and unforgettable.
Science fiction, space exploration AND existential themes???? Now I HAVE to see it!

Hmm.. well there are the classics like The Matrix, Blade Runner, etc. But let's not go there, cause everyone has seen them. (Or should have?)
Both of the Blade Runner movies are easily in my top ten all time favorites. Might I point out that Nick Valentine from Fallout 4 is based off of Deckard alone with in New Vegas there is a special weapon called "That Gun" that is modeled after his weapon.

*Frantically screenshots for future movie suggestions* There's so many things here that sound so appealing. I'm intrigued and elated to see different perspectives of what one considers philosophical. It's all about what resonates in your spirit.

Science fiction, space exploration AND existential themes???? Now I HAVE to see it!

Yes, it's a must see! Solaris is a very special kind of movie, in my opinion. It's very profound and aesthetically... Tarkovskian. Here's the main theme (there are also a lot of natural and urban landscape scenes in the film):

If you're looking for existential sci-fi, you should definitely give it a try. Just make sure you don't accidentally watch the 2002 remake with George Clooney. :D

Of course you may point that out. May I point out your quote is messed up? :kissingsmiling:

I still need to play Fallout 4.

I would like to add the following movie to the list:

Another Earth (2011), science-fiction, drama. One evening, a high school student drives home drunk from a party, and is distracted by the radio as it is suddenly announced that a copy of planet Earth is found. She hits another car and kills the people inside.
Everything on the other Earth is the same up to the moment of copying, and then everything changes. As the moment of copying is right before she hit the car, she's desperate to make it over to the other Earth somehow and undo her mistake, unlive her life. It's a very moving story about choices, regret, and a little bit of multiverse for good measure.

still need to play Fallout 4.
New Vegas is better, don't bother with 4 until there is literally nothing left undone in New Vegas, Cazador knows this- everyone who has played New Vegas knows this.

Do people have an essence?

The science says we're made of atoms that recycle. But.

I think that science is hugely far from complete. I wonder if any of it is right, but to me it feels like the best guide for now.

Loved your film choices. I'd add
2001 a space odyssey
Donnie Darko
Copenhagen (a BBC 4 film. With Stephen Rea and Daniel Craig)

I've enjoyed most of the films mentioned. @Cassanova Frankenstein you made a great thread.

@Reason With Logic Filling I watched The Sunset Limited earlier. Very good.

I forgot about one film that I treasure: The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) by Luis Buñuel.

I don't know if anyone has seen it, but on top of being a hilarious critique of the bourgeois mentality, it has one scene in it which I find so moving and yet so philosophical at the same time... It involves a priest turned gardener. I'll say that much but no more to instill a sense of mystery and make people watch it.

Reactions: Wyote and Gaze
A few of these films are not considered philosophical but they made me think or encouraged some kind of self-reflection.

Mindwalk(1990)
Unbreakable (2000)
Arrival (2016)

Haven't seen but looks interesting:
Equilibrium (2002)

Guys, how could we forget about the classics such as:

1. Birdemic
2. Sharknado
3. The Room

Truly timeless classics that should be taught at every philosophy class.
Let's Play- Uno: The Movie

Look it up on YouTube

RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE

... just kidding

Reactions: AUM and Wyote
Oh my, it even has a 9.6 on imdb. Must be legit af. I was going to watch Primer, but screw that, Uno: The movie it is!

If you like it, Check out Red Vs Blue and Lazer Team if you haven't seen that stuff