Personality Matching Dating Sites...

Lisabeth

Regular Poster
Mar 26, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
?
Does anyone have experience with eharmony or other personality dating sites and what do you think about the concept?

OK Cupid is kind of neat.

I agree with Hoggle, Ok Cupid is probably the best online dating site I've seen.

I created a profile for my mother who has been divorced for about 6 years and I thought well...my personality is nowhere near compatible with the people I am surrounded by so why not.

With the internet, quality seems to come in packs of quantity more than their mechanisms for trying to create quality

Like finding one quality person out of 100, on some massive site such as interpals.net

I just checked out OK Cupid and that was just creepy...you guys can't be serious...

Reactions: Feelings
I just created a profile entered my zip and what sprang up was complete fuckery....

Reactions: Feelings
Imma gonna limit mah dating to sugar daddy parties.

:m036:

I once completed the eharmony survey for fun, so that I could view potential matches. They said that matches are guaranteed.

I got no matches.

I once completed the eharmony survey for fun, so that I could view potential matches. They said that matches are guaranteed.

I got no matches.

Okcupid was just weird. eharmony -nothing really came of any of the matches although I do like their setup. Match.com only works for a particular type - appearance.

Many of these sites claim to match by personality but not necessarily compatibility. And in the end, people are still judging mainly by photos than personality.

I'm glad I actually met someone in person because the matches they sent wouldn't be compatible.

I don't think dating sites are very effective when looking for someone who is interested in long term relationships. They're more about dating around than finding something serious.

I liked Eharmony but it was too expensive. I was overwhelmed by the matching process. "You have 30 new matches!" Every freakin time you log on? Give me a break. It forces you to start being a shallow jerk face just because you don't have time to give every profile the attention it deserves and you don't want to turn matching off because what if ya end up blocking Miss. Right!? Pain in the butt.

On a positive note, I developed lasting friendships with three of the gals from there. There psych test does get pretty darn close to successfully matching you with compatible people as long as they don't lie of course. I haven't tried any other sites.

Reactions: Blind Bandit

I got no matches.

Me and my bestie did this once too! :3
My friend's went through fine, but I actually got rejected from even entering the site :m071:
I guess I was too antisocial?:m100:

Reactions: just me
what did you find creepy about it?

It's...cheap? People are basically advertizing themselves. It dilutes the spontaneity of meeting someone and getting to point of sex and romance progressively. It's like a market place for people, but their value is being expressed in screwed ways. Sure it makes things more convenient....but if you have to blatantly advertize yourself you're either an attention whore or desperate, or both. At the end it all seems way too formal and fabricated.

Reactions: Gaze
It's...cheap? People are basically advertizing themselves. It dilutes the spontaneity of meeting someone and getting to point of sex and romance progressively. It's like a market place for people, but their value is being expressed in screwed ways. Sure it makes things more convenient....but if you have to blatantly advertize yourself you're either an attention whore or desperate, or both. At the end it all seems way too formal and fabricated.

Eh, what seems creepy about okcupid in particular I should say since the things you just brought up are inherent to all online dating sites. That's kinda how it works.

Does anyone have experience with eharmony or other personality dating sites and what do you think about the concept?
years ago i moved across the country to attend university, and i knew no one. i had a heavy courseload so no time to meet anyone in the conventional sense. i was 42 when i started university, so most of my fellow classmates were young enough to be my children. no dating ops there.
i went on lavalife and put in a profile in the casual dating section. i met a lot of men and some were really awful and some were ok and a couple were fabulous. just like real life, actually.
there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods of meeting people. in my case the advantages were that i could screen certain behaviors and personality types from the get go, as well as get a look at them (sometimes they would only post a pic of their car or truck or dog etc. those went into the g file)
long story short, i met my ideal partner through that site. we have been together now for 8 years and i could not imagine being without him!

p.s. he is an esfj

i don't use them and i never will...but then again, neither will i ever use F-book. the girl i'm with now i met at a forum. she chatted me up there. then i made the mistake of readin her posts. the first revelation was her use of internet datin sites, and i only found out later that she was havin cyber-sex with these guys. apparently she's in the minority of the 20% of these who never meet the guys for real sex. when she went invisible on me at IM i learned that she was runnin from 3 of these cyber-buddies. then she asked me to go 2 her F-book page to see her family pictures. unfortunately, her bio- page listed "Men" as her "interests." these and other things are what led me to P-tyes, and only after i nearly died tryin to discern whether she was disordered--most likely histrionic but a real blend. she eventually took a P test and came out super-ESFP. i'd already guessed this but it was nice(?) to have confirmation.:m198: when i went to see her at a convention she was workin, we had the pleasure of an unnecessary dinner w/ an egotist who never took his hand off her chair, except to put it on her leg or shoulder. in 3 hours she spoke to me twice, but business etiquette prevented me from leavin them money for a room before walkin out.

Last edited: