Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
What's up with some people feeling persecuted, when it's a very tenuous interpretation of things, while other people can be indifferent to personal swipes, etc.?

Reactions: Sandie33
Can you be more specific?

tumblr_o4d5udHTh31rlafseo1_400.gif

I'm guessing that you are talking about microagressions and how you probably don't believe in them...

Some people feel persecuted because they are. Even if one is not intentionally persecuting someone that doesn't make their actions somehow magically okay.

Intent means jack.

?

What's missing from the OP?

Perhaps I could have added:
What are your thoughts on why some people interpret things as being significantly more personally jeopardous than other people?

(Didn't include it, as it's implied).

?

I don't know what you're asking for.

Reactions: Sandie33
?

What's missing from the OP?

Perhaps I could have added:
What are your thoughts on why some people interpret things as being significantly more personally jeopardous than other people?

(Didn't include it, as it's implied).

?

I don't know what you're asking for.
There are tons of different reasons why someone could feel persecuted, and each reason would need to be discussed or addressed differently.

In order to engage in a viable conversation you are going to have to either confirm my assumptions that said persecution is based on minority status or you will have to provide a specific example for me to analyze.

I'm guessing that you are talking about microagressions and how you probably don't believe in them...

Some people feel persecuted because they are. Even if one is not intentionally persecuting someone that doesn't make their actions somehow magically okay.

Intent means jack.
Interesting. Do you interpret this thread as being a criticism of the notion of microagressions?

What are microagressions? (Obviously theyre slight agressions, but the specific name probably means there's a specific distinction)?

Confessions :D

So, I've felt persecuted based on criticisms of the INFP personality, sensitivity, or other views I've shared here, and sensitive to comments made about people or ideas that I hold dearly. I have often wanted to leave because I didn't feel my views were accepted, understood, shared or appreciated. However, at the end of the day, there's always something which tells me that these are my feelings, and no one has to share them. That's why I post most of my views in a blog :D.

I have taken things personally, but realized later on, that people are not going to care in the end whether I like their opinions or not, however insensitive they may be. Rather, I decided to own the feelings I had, and let them be my feelings. I think I learned the hard way to realize everyone's feelings were separate from mine, and we didn't have to share the same views. If I didn't like something said, I could argue with it, which rarely helped, just lead to more anxiety. So, it was usually best to step away and come back.

I also think part of it is realizing that people's opinions are their own, and often have nothing to do with me personally. People are a reflection of their own background and experiences. Of course, people can often be very cruel, insensitive, and dismissive of views they don't like or support, which hurts civility. And it is sometimes too easy to react defensively rather than see the other side or show sympathy for a very different pov, but it's possible to step away or at least step outside ourselves, and view spites objectively, as something that could be hurtful, but doesn't always have to be responded to. In others words, see it as a reflection of the person's own stuff, and not you.

At this point, especially after 7 years, I've learned to let things go more so now, although I've been passive aggressive to the nth degree on occasion when someone or something said royally pissed me off and really want to say something, :D My observation is that people rarely try to see the other side, and focus mostly on justifying their pov, sadly, so it's misspent energy trying to get them to see how "wrong" they are. It's usually much easier to distance myself if something offends me or approach it more objectively to avoid seeing comments as spite.

And even if someone is going out of their way to be a pain in the ass to you, you can make it playful, and get some humor out of it, or just ignore them. YOU DON'T HAVE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THEM. Sometimes, just don't respond, no matter how upset you are or how much you want to punch them in the face or debate them. Some people are never going to let it go, so you may just have to be the person who says, ok, whatever, and move on. If you get too much into it with them, you're rarely going to resolve anything, especially if the goal of each person is to be right. So, yeah, that's my story lesson for today. :)

There are tons of different reasons why someone could feel persecuted, and each reason would need to be discussed or addressed differently.

In order to engage in a viable conversation you are going to have to either confirm my assumptions that said persecution is based on minority status or you will have to provide a specific example for me to analyze.
You want me to confirm, or deny your assumptions?

There's no specific example because it's the general subject itself I'm interested in.

Interesting. Do you interpret this thread as being a criticism of the notion of microagressions?

What are microagressions? (Obviously theyre slight agressions, but the specific name probably means there's a specific distinction)?
Not really knowing you I can't say, but if you were to have posted this on my other forum ... let's just say that there is a certain miasma of white fragility to your post that I mmay be reading into...

Microagressions are small often times unconcious acts that serve to other minorities in subtle ways. Like having a policy for what is considered "professional" appearance that would disqualify someone's natural hair.

You want me to confirm, or deny your assumptions?

There's no specific example because it's the general subject itself I'm interested in.
I thought INTJs were supposed to be good with logic. With such a broad subject one is unable to have a conversation of any substance unless they apply their own assumptions to it.

So I have done that. You can either engage me in conversation based on my approach to the subject, or you can further clarify your OP to give me direction to better address your interest in the topic.

Not really knowing you I can't say, but if you were to have posted this on my other forum ... let's just say that there is a certain miasma of white fragility to your post that I mmay be reading into...

Microagressions are small often times unconcious acts that serve to other minorities in subtle ways. Like having a policy for what is considered "professional" appearance that would disqualify someone's natural hair.
There's a racial aspect to this thread? How?

I'll probably make a separate thread on microagressions, because it's something of an unknown usage to me... but work dress codes are agressions? I must admit, I've never seen them that way... I can see how changes to dress codes could be passive-aggressive, or at least a necessary procedure to avoid singling people out, who might be causing a stir.

If this thread was about minority issues, then my post was way off :D

Reactions: Jet
There's a racial aspect to this thread?
When discussing persecution is racial persecution not a possibility? If you said you wanted to discuss the topic as a whole one must approach it in manageable segments. I happened to focus on race.

Like I said if you would prefer I can shift my focus to something more to your liking... but you would have to give me further clarification which you apparently do not want to give so.....

I thought INTJs were supposed to be good with logic. With such a broad subject one is unable to have a conversation of any substance unless they apply their own assumptions to it.

So I have done that. You can either engage me in conversation based on my approach to the subject, or you can further clarify your OP to give me direction to better address your interest in the topic.
I'm interested in different theories as to why some people interpret things as been more personally jeopardous than other people.

I don't see logic being a factor in the OP topic, because there is no explanation, interpretation, or argument present in it.

The OP is a request. A request for different theories.

If this thread was about minority issues, then my post was way off :D
It's like the topic thread, lack of specificity leads to everything being both on and off topic. It's a Schrodinger's post!!!!! :):

When discussing persecution is racial persecution not a possibility? If you said you wanted to discuss the topic as a whole one must approach it in manageable segments. I happened to focus on race.

Like I said if you would prefer I can shift my focus to something more to your liking... but you would have to give me further clarification which you apparently do not want to give so.....
There's a plethora of specific threads. This is a thread on the varying psychological disposition/bias/sensitivity/etc. associated with interpretations of personal jeopardy.

Reactions: Gaze
I'm interested in different theories as to why some people interpret things as been more personally jeopardous than other people.

I don't see logic being a factor in the OP topic, because there is no explanation, interpretation, or argument present in it.

The OP is a request. A request for different theories.
There are two types of people in the world:
Those who can extrapolate.

By asking for various theories one can logically conclude that the validity of such theories would also be up for discussion. Unless the point of your post was to just share stories, which means you might want to clarify.

Reactions: jyrffw54
There's a plethora of specific threads. This is a thread on the varying psychological disposition/bias/sensitivity/etc. associated with interpretations of personal jeopardy.
How are you defining "personal jepordy" ... that may help me focus my input since you seem to be dissatisfied with my previous posts.