Perception is reality: True or False? | INFJ Forum

Perception is reality: True or False?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What is the relationship between perception and reality?

1. Is perception reality?
  2. Is reality merely a perception?
*To what extent is the following statement true:
"My perception is your reality*

You cannot perceive my reality for me...My reality is my reality...I perceive it for myself, for no one else.

What is the relationship between perception and reality?

1. Is perception reality?
  2. Is reality merely a perception?
*To what extent is the following statement true:
"My perception is your reality*

Fly Away said it best, I think it was something like 90% perception and 10% circumstance?

I believe this completely.

Fly Away said it best, I think it was something like 90% perception and 10% circumstance?

I believe this completely.

That's not exactly what I said. I said 90% circumstance, 10% how you deal with it.

Really??

I completely disagree, lol.

Ok, here we go. *gets popcorn*

Reactions: Poetic Justice
I mean, the context differs. If someone is pointing a gun to your head, that is a bit different than if someone said I look fat in my jeans.

But look at the sense of reality that people with extreme mental disorders have.

...awe jeeze...cant we all just get along

Im a lover not a fighter...

whats mine is mine

you cant take it away from me...

Oh...sorry got carried away...I have to agree with fly...

rethinking...

Last edited:
How do you mean?

Like a schitzophrenic (I KNOW I butchered that word, sorry) Their sense of reality is so freaking twisted, yet the outside world doesn't change.

no wait, i said 10 percent circumstance, 90 percent how you deal with it, sorry i'm like all over the place!

LOL, now I think you are just arguing for argument's sake!

Like a schitzophrenic (I KNOW I butchered that word, sorry) Their sense of reality is so freaking twisted, yet the outside world doesn't change.

But in terms of reality, does this mean that their reality (which is their perception) is any less real simply because it is not "real" for everyone else?

Well there's 'Objective' Reality: A solid is solid, all triangles have 3 sides.
There's Scientific Reality: E=mc^2
Then there's Psychological Reality: I only scored 80% on my test, I am a useless person / I scored 80% on my test, I really tied hard and did well!

There's sensory perception: The truck is Red
Then there's emotional perception: She looks upset, it is because she hates me / She looks upset, I bet she needs me to cheer her up / She looks upset, I better give her some space.

Your perception of and responses to subjective reality affect your life and translate into objective changes in your life.

But no matter how you perceive it, a red truck is red.

Reactions: NeverAmI