Peopled out. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Peopled out.

I work as a manager in retail, and my god, I am peopled out for a long long time. I've done that for the past 4 years, and I am done. Burnt to a crisp. It sucks the life out of me, having to deal with people all day every day. In fact, I am recovering from a relapse of my chronic illness that my dr's are saying has been brought on in large part due to my job. I have to put on a happy face at work, and genuinely do enjoy interacting with many customers, but it has become a huge drain on my energy. I don't like attending large parties, as that seems to suck the life out of me too. Instead of being excited about an opportunity to meet new people, I feel like a lot of people at parties just want to stay with their little clique and pass judgement on those around them. That kind of thing doesn't sit well with me, of course a lot of that could just be in my head. But parties don't seem to be places where the majority of folk seem to be searching for meaningful connections. I spend most of my free time by myself or with my boyfriend. I view it as time to re-connect with my innermost self, reflect on life, pursue my interests or curiosities, and to work on improving myself as an individual.

I often experience this. I really loathe small talk, I find it draining when the conversation isn't going anywhere. What also bothers me is when people feel the need to shove their problems in my face after I greeted them. I've even had this happen to me with complete strangers.

I cannot abide small talk. I am a distinctive failure at parties, because when people talk to me, I always direct the conversation to more substantial, meaningful things. Case in point: at a 4th party this past weekend, I was talking to someone and the conversation took a very bad turn to her brother's depression and anxiety about his job. This is the way many of my conversations with strangers go. Why can't I have a "Oh my gosh, I love your shoes" kind of conversation? With me, if it starts that way, it will inevitably end with a discussion about the importance of how people present themselves. :roll:

Public place + Small talk = Peopled-out for meeeeeeee! ( I wanna go home already! LOL)

Last edited:
I think the whole small talk deal is annoying for most intuitives. INTPs complain a lot about it on their forums...some even go so far as to say they fear small talk.

Maybe it's just INs.

I love conversation. With my kinda people. If your not my kinda people I would rather be alone. Being around ignorant arseholes always makes me wanna scream lol...

I'm always peopled out,I think,to some degree or other.There are a few people that don't drain me but most do.Even phone calls from the wrong ones are enough to get the ,'Oh,Jesus,bells!' going..Sometimes in films you see people cringing in prision story lines after being threatened with solitary! I'd be like,'Your wifes a tramp,Mr.Prison Warden!',to get some solitary!!!!

I'm always peopled out,I think,to some degree or other.There are a few people that don't drain me but most do.Even phone calls from the wrong ones are enough to get the ,'Oh,Jesus,bells!' going..Sometimes in films you see people cringing in prision story lines after being threatened with solitary! I'd be like,'Your wifes a tramp,Mr.Prison Warden!',to get some solitary!!!!

lol! Nice to see ya, Marty! I totally agree . . . oh, the things I would do to be completely alone . . .

Hey Kwiss! Good to see you too! Are you still chomping dead aminals! lol..sorry! I've just started my raw regime and my initial results are just startling and amazing in a good way. Will post some more about it if I continue... Hope you have a great 2009.

Public place + Small talk = Peopled-out for meeeeeeee! ( I wanna go home already! LOL)
That's one deadly combination...

I have the small talk problem too, but to be honest I lose track of the conversation sometimes even during fairly importat conversations. I'll start thinking about something randomly and realize after a few seconds that the other person is waiting for an answer and I have no idea what they just said. Generally I manage to get away with it though, like some part of me is still listening to the pattern of the conversation and can find a neutral enough answer to keep the other person going so that I can then catch up with them. It's a bit like having two conversations at the same time, one with them, one with myself.

It doesn't happen when I'm having a very interesting conversation though, but those are not that common.

Originally Posted by Lurker
What peoples me out is the lack of substance in conversations, I tolerate it but generally my eyes will glaze over, you probably wouldn’t notice but that means my mind has just gone elsewhere and you are now talking to yourself.

Do NF's feel the same way about irrelevant small talk?

I can manage small talk well enough, but it does exhaust me. I always start every conversation with a new person hoping that the small talk will lead to something substantial, though. The danger is when people realize they have found an empathetic ear and totally unload out of the blue. This has happened to me with strangers or near-strangers more often than I can count.

I also get peopled out if I spend too much uninterrupted time with loved ones. My boyfriend, bless his extroverted heart, is constantly asking for my opinion about music, movies, tv, etc. It's wonderful to love someone who has so much respect for your opinion, but sometimes I just have to tell him to stop bugging me - I'd like to keep some of my thoughts to myself!

Last edited:
partied for four days straight during the christmas week.

my godddd. have not been out to a party/dinner since, and don't really plan on it.