This thread was inspired by this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10786279 I don't know whether or not I want to have children, which effectively means I don't know whether or not I want to be married. I know I want the benefits of marriage, but I also know that 85% of married couples eventually have children. Of the remaining 15%, most want children but are unable to have them. It is a cultural opinion that marriage is for babies (and everyone in many cases), and I think it is one of the main reasons, maybe the main reason, why people are so strongly against homosexual marriage. Every time I hear "sanctity of marriage", I think of my homosexual friends (males) who believe that vaginas have teeth and how a lot of parents must feel let down by their homosexual children because that usually means no grandchildren from them (especially if they are male). I know everyone expects you to meet someone and have children, and that is definitely what my parents expect me to do. But I can't even seem to find anyone at this point in life and haven't been able to really find anyone, and a large part of the reason for that is that so many women just aren't interested. Most people are either already taken ("the good ones", imo), and there is a large number outside of that who want a non-committed life with sex or they are too career focused at this point to be interested (I may even fall into the later category depending). Anyway, what do you think of the no-child lifestyle? Do you believe marriage is for children?