Opinion on Antidepressants? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Opinion on Antidepressants?

My opinion is in line with @TheDaringHatTrick 's, basically.

To say that antidepressants are horrible is untrue. For some people, they are the only thing that have been able to get them on the road to recovery.

But at the same time, there are all the issues with them and with the system that everyone has already mentioned. Even if they may work for some people, they are only a bandaid. Mental health is interconnected with physical health, emotional health, spiritual health. It's difficult to surivive in the unnatural modern world we are faced with today. Hard to cope with psychologically, hard to wrap our heads around. It's not something our genetics have ever faced prior to this point in time. Sometimes if we sustain one or two destructive beliefs and carry it throughout our lives, it can tear everything down around us in the fragile circumstances we exist within now.

It's better to take vitamins, get adequate nutrition, sleep, excercise, life goals, and social support, and to only go for antidepressants as a last resort. Better ways to cope need to be understood in our society. Education and understanding is key.

Reactions: Sloe Djinn
It's already been explained by everyone better than I could, but I'll put in a mediocre analogy of my own. In some cases, psych meds can be like a psychological pacemaker. If you've got serious problems with your heart, a pacemaker could be required to ensure that the heart, a vital organ, functions normally. Having a piece of artificial machinery in there has inherent hazards of its own, but it can save lives. However, if someone is experiencing some early symptom of possible heart problems, which could be reversible by lifestyle changes, like high blood pressure, the first possible solution is not to go get a pacemaker. Same goes for depression. Antidepressants shouldn't be a first choice, but it should be acknowledged that depending upon the acuity of the depression, those meds may be vital, as imperfect as they are (and ever will be).

First thing is hello. Second Have you researched vitamin D? Research shows that many people do not get enough vitamin D. Which can effect you're body's absorption of other key vitamins. Vitamin D has been show to be a little more important then people first believed. Hope this helps, plus I would try Wild Alaskan fish oil. It's helped me a bunch, I take 2 capsules TID religiously.

Cigar? Oh Ya. :m114:

Its a never ending spiral. There are those doctors who say suppliments dont work, others that say they do. If you take one vitamin your lossing out on another etc... I am taking an expectionally high quallity multi vitamin these days. Whether or not it has any effect I dont know. I just know how I could feel and something out of all the things I am taking is helping. Or its the combination. Were the world to go to hell tomorow and I know longer have access to these items, I would become miserable quickly and probably die within a year or...want to. Sobbering thought

To say that antidepressants are horrible is untrue. For some people, they are the only thing that have been able to get them on the road to recovery.

But at the same time, there are all the issues with them and with the system that everyone has already mentioned. Even if they may work for some people, they are only a bandaid. Mental health is interconnected with physical health, emotional health, spiritual health. It's difficult to surivive in the unnatural modern world we are faced with today. Hard to cope with psychologically, hard to wrap our heads around. It's not something our genetics have ever faced prior to this point in time. Sometimes if we sustain one or two destructive beliefs and carry it throughout our lives, it can tear everything down around us in the fragile circumstances we exist within now.

It's better to take vitamins, get adequate nutrition, sleep, excercise, life goals, and social support, and to only go for antidepressants as a last resort. Better ways to cope need to be understood in our society. Education and understanding is key.

I like the statement on some of my meds. The doctor has decided this medication will help you more than if you dont take it....

I thought I needed some about a month ago. What I really needed was to change my beliefs. A sort of CBT on myself.

But back to the antidepressants, if you're going to take them, you need to be seeing a physician who has a plan for your depression. Be thorough with taking your history, getting a good grasp on your life, social situation, work, etc. The plan needs to make sure that they are treating you and also be able to get you through this. Too many doctors just hand out antidepressants (especially the SSRIs) with no actual comprehensive plan to fully treat it. I've seen them help people and I've seen them really screw people up bad (myself included) so I do see them as a last resort kind of thing.

I am depressed and no one can press my buttons and likewise persuasion does not impress me. I call this notion free will.

Our bodies are a rapidly regenerative pile of flesh that is carved out so elegantly by a process known as Apoptosis, the triggering of cellular death. Most of you whom have read about Cancer should know that it occurs when Apoptosis fails for one reason or another. Death is very much a part of us, and not only us. Many animals commit suicide. This is a scene from "The Lion King" depicting an elephant graveyard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeTO8GEAETM. I live here on the Eastern coast of the United States and over this summer there was a measles outbreak among the dolphin population so the beaches were filled with dolphins trying to beach them self. Sometimes death is even a part of reproduction as is noticed in praying mantises. Such insects prey upon many pests to such a degree that farmers here have propagated the myth that killing them is illegal.

I agree. They certainly have their use. The problem is that, instead of using them as a shorter term pick up (i.e. a few months to a couple of years max) to get people back on track, they are often used for years and years on end- even decades- without addressing any of the underlying causes of the depression. Psychiatrists will sometimes expect patients to take them for years to see the full benefit.

The other thing is that they are disproportionately given to certain groups, especially older women. I think that their usage in this regard is a type of violence against women that has been accepted by society. We don't seem to want to acknowledge that there is something fundamentally wrong with how we tend to view and treat middle aged to older women.

Finally, there is a scary association between these drugs and acts of violence. I don't know how much it is substantiated in research, but supposedly these drugs can lead people to become suicidal (and often carry warnings for such behavior), and many of the mass shooters were on high doses of them as well iirc.

They can be useful, but often a doctor will prescribe antidepressants without thinking about a patients history or situation. It's not a one size fits all situation. There are many kinds of antidepressants and taking the one that doesn't suit you can make things worse. Sometimes exercise and a new diet are all that is required, but doctors are so focused on a medication based recovery system that they won't acknowledge this.

WATCH!

[video=youtube;drv3BP0Fdi8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drv3BP0Fdi8[/video]

PS: I was a little bit extreme in my opinion on Antidepressants, but believe me it is not the pure 100% answer to it!

Ties between big pharma and the psychiatric community (who make the DSM)

[video=youtube;PuH-qVjTtVA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuH-qVjTtVA#t=597[/video]

Rockefeller influence in medicine

[video=youtube;X6J_7PvWoMw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6J_7PvWoMw[/video]

WATCH!
PS: I was a little bit extreme in my opinion on Antidepressants, but believe me it is not the pure 100% answer to it!

That was such a hopeful video that these depressed zombies will eventually die off.