One-on-one or small group irl? | INFJ Forum

One-on-one or small group irl?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you prefer one-on-one or small group communication irl? Why?

Last edited:
One on one because then we get to talk, and I like to talk, usually.

Depends cummunicating with who. Because either one-on-one or in a small group, I`d have to have something to say...and if I don`t, I`m going to feel awkward either way.

Depends cummunicating with who. Because either one-on-one or in a small group, I`d have to have something to say...and if I don`t, I`m going to feel awkward either way.

Does it matter whether it's a group of friends or strangers (small group)?

I tend to prefer small groups because I can have a one on one conversation with a specific person and during the interludes when they are thinking/not speaking or I'm not speaking/thinking they can have some sort of entertainment.

Does it matter whether it's a group of friends or strangers (small group)?

not really, no. As long as I have something to say, communicating it won`t be a problem. Ofcourse, with freinds it`s easier because I know them better, and i can initiate a conversation. But with strangers, friendly conversations may be difficult, unless it`s a common topic.

not really, no. As long as I have something to say, communicating it won`t be a problem. Ofcourse, with freinds it`s easier because I know them better, and i can initiate a conversation. But with strangers, friendly conversations may be difficult, unless it`s a common topic.

I asked because I notice that many people are comfortable talking in a small group no matter who it is, and others are actually more comfortable talking with strangers than friends or even family. I think sometimes, there's a fear that friends and family are going to judge while a stranger/temporary acquaintance is someone met in passing, and may never see again, so it doesn't matter what is said.

small groups if we don't really know each other, it breaks up the tension.

one on one if we're close (or want to be ;)

I asked because I notice that many people are comfortable talking in a small group no matter who it is, and others are actually more comfortable talking with strangers than friends or even family. I think sometimes, there's a fear that friends and family are going to judge while a stranger/temporary acquaintance is someone met in passing, and may never see again, so it doesn't matter what is said.

That actually applies to a few people I know. They`re careful about what they say to people they know, even if it`s one-on-one sometimes.

It always depends on who I'm talking to. If I'm with someone I really like then I want it to be one-on-one. I'm interested in what people are thinking, and why they are thinking it regardless of who is talking so one-on-one with people who will actually tell me is the easiest way to go about that. Besides, when you get into a one-on-one conversation you can open up avenues that group conversations can never bring out. People work in interesting ways, and I'm interesting in knowing why they work that way.
If I'm with friends that I don't talk about things in depth with then I want it to be in a group setting. That way I don't have to talk, and I don't feel awkward about not talking.

It always depends on who I'm talking to. If I'm with someone I really like then I want it to be one-on-one. I'm interested in what people are thinking, and why they are thinking it regardless of who is talking so one-on-one with people who will actually tell me is the easiest way to go about that. Besides, when you get into a one-on-one conversation you can open up avenues that group conversations can never bring out. People work in interesting ways, and I'm interesting in knowing why they work that way.
If I'm with friends that I don't talk about things in depth with then I want it to be in a group setting. That way I don't have to talk, and I don't feel awkward about not talking.

This^^. Yeah, one-on-one works when it's with someone you're interested in and want to have deeper conversations with, but if it's strangers, small group is best since the focus is more varied and all the attention is not on one person specifically. But OTOH, it's sometimes a bit difficult to keep up with small group conversation. If one or two dominate, then it's easy to get lost.

Last edited:
For extreme extroverts and extreme introverts - small groups tend to work well from my experience because the introverts don't want to engage too much while the extroverts like the crowd setting. If its someone more balanced I find both settings tend to work.

I like one-on-ones more. Intimacy is welcome - if there is trust.

Small group (3-5). One on one is fun, but I enjoy group dynamics more. Too big of a group, however, and it's too easy to break up into sub-groups and the magic is lost.

It depends, I am highly reserved around anyone I don't know well, the small group offers more diversity which is quite beneficial but also more chance of problems.

Depends on what is being communicated/worked on.

I like both

Small groups. One-on-one can be too intense; large groups are overwhelming.

A group of four allows personal conversation, but you can also just sit back for a while as well.

I'm a one-on-one girl. I've never liked group discussions in real life. I feel like no one says anything important.

Big group activities are awesome though ... much more fun than smaller ones. So more doing, less chit-chat!!!

I prefer one on one but there's something about a small group which makes it engaging. I enjoy it. It's great, interesting. I learn quite a bit from discussion, whether it's simply listening or contributing. I don't like to dominate a small group, so it's better if there's a mix of introverts and extroverts. If everyone in the group is an introvert, i'm more likely to take the lead, which works sometimes but on the other hand makes me uncomfortable. There should be a balance.

I prefer small groups. One-on-one communication seems to intimidate people who otherwise open up. One-on-one communication is good with people who trust you, but that doesn't give you access to some people.

small groups. I can deal with one-on-one when it's with Es, but....otherwise it'll be a staring contest. >_>; or Who Gets Bored And Fell Asleep First.