Retired Staff
May 5, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Random
from here:

oceanic memory

A typically NF way of remembering things through intuitive leaps and by associating things. An INFJ trying to remember the name of a particular actor, for instance, may first have one or more clear mental images of the actor's appearance, recall a song or particular incident associated with the actor, recall several films in which the actor appeared or other actors or directors with whom he's worked extensively, and only then finally recall the actor's name. Thus INFJ-List threads are apt to wander off on tangents.

i'm always like, "oh oh, i know he's name! remember? he played in this movie! and this movie! what the heck is his name? oh, i can see who it is... but... oh yeah, his name is ___!!"... and i'll be all excited about it too...

That sounds right.

I also always remember the feeling associated with something better than the actual something.

Sometimes my tangents stray too far off by degrees of separation that I'll forget where I left off. The challenge is looping back and I can't backtrack step by step, so I'll resume along the train of thought of my tangent until I finally encounter a reminder of the point my tangent left off. By then, aha! I can loop back by association. It's easier to pursue the tangent because I'd forget that more easily than my main point, and I like to keep up with all conscious intuitive leaps. That's why writing things down helps a lot!

My friend is used to reminding me of the words I used to start off my main point with so I can jump back on it after I've finished rambling about other loosely related branches. This thread was also a stimulus for association...

yea, so then this one guy... oh, let me tell you about this guy...

LOL!!! After all these years of trying to be better at remembering...

I just gave up.. it's not going to happen!!

It never fails... I ALWAYS forget the specific name!!!

I had an INFJ friend who said that her past was akin to one long acid trip. She could remember bits and pieces from it, but not in any logical order, and its very very hard to remember a lot of it.

ShaiGar said:
I had an INFJ friend who said that her past was akin to one long acid trip. She could remember bits and pieces from it, but not in any logical order, and its very very hard to remember a lot of it.
It could just be she's been on acid alot.

I remember my past.

...Somewhat in order, sorta, if you use memory landmarks (eg. This happened before this because I was in 4th grade then, so it had to have) it's much easier.

I'm kinda glad to have Oceanic Memory, It's a beautiful term atleast. :)

Silently Honest said:
ShaiGar said:
It could just be she's been on acid alot.

I remember my past.

...Somewhat in order, sorta, if you use memory landmarks (eg. This happened before this because I was in 4th grade then, so it had to have) it's much easier.

I'm kinda glad to have Oceanic Memory, It's a beautiful term atleast. :)
no, she wasn't.

Well, that explains why I can't remember names. Or birthdays. Or math equations.

I like the term a lot. Very evocative.

OMG i do that all the time, and people are like: "how the heck did you think of that when we were talking about dolphins?" or something...

When I was in College I would associate pieces of information like people.

It was as if the information was an actually living with shape, color and personality. Whenever I took my tests it was no harder for me to remember the answer than to visualize someone's face and the traits that went along with it.

Perhaps the method some infjs go about remembering isn't conducive to their type.
Association with other various details help me make the information alive and precious.
However I've straight memorized pages before but could never retain the information for a extended period of time.

Last edited: