Obama State of the Union Address

Kavalan

Has risen
Sep 16, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
1W9
So I was reading through the transcript from the state of the union address. the part that caught my eye was about college education

To make college more affordable, this bill will finally end the unwarranted taxpayer subsidies that go to banks for student loans. Instead, let's take that money and give families a $10,000 tax credit for four years of college and increase Pell Grants.

And let's tell another 1 million students that, when they graduate, they will be required to pay only 10 percent of their income on student loans, and all of their debt will be forgiven after 20 years, and forgiven after 10 years if they choose a career in public service, because in the United States of America, no one should go broke because they chose to go to college.

I know it is still making its way through the puzzle palace that is congress but it looks promising.

Anyone else's thoughts on the speech?

The transcript can be found here

Last edited:
He did a good job. He spoke with more certainty on some matters (mainly the economy) than anybody really has, but that's just run-of-the-mill politicking. Hopefully somewhere near half of the proposals/promises he made tonight will actually happen.

I noticed that none of the Supreme Court members present applauded their agreement with his comments on their recent campaign finance ruling — even those who members who had been in dissent. Too much camaraderie, perhaps? Or do the Justices find it generally inappropriate to reveal their opinions of what the president is saying, in the name of political neutrality?

This part of the speech made me happy. :cool: Finally our President is in touch with the internets.
Democrats and Republicans, you've trimmed some of this spending. You've embraced some meaningful change, but restoring the public trust demands more. For example, some members of Congress post some earmark requests online.

Tonight, I'm calling on Congress to publish all earmark requests on a single Web site before there's a vote so that the American people can see how their money is being spent.

He is just so charismatic! It was a GREAT speech. I hope things go his way after everything and that he manages to live up to his own proposals..
He really needs a successful ending of a struggle!!

As with TLM, I especially liked that part! :)

He is just so charismatic! It was a GREAT speech. I hope things go his way after everything and that he manages to live up to his own proposals..
He really needs a successful ending of a struggle!!

As with TLM, I especially liked that part! :)

Obama is indeed very charismatic, and I'm sure he really wants to aid the county's current situation, the only problem I find is that his ideals might be a bit unrealistic, he's handling to much at the tme, hack the consequence of being president in such tough, crucial times...all this pressure must be causing him a lot of stress and in the end nothing might get done, I think he must first focus on a particular area and then from there he could do the same for other areas, there's no real improvement if he just creates a bunch of ideas. But of course Obama wants to try his best for the better of the people, after all people do type him as an ENFJ :).

I'm a little weary of this only pay ten percent of your income, and debts being ended after 20 years. It just seems like their might be some negative economic backlash from cancleing debt like this. Though as a student I love the idea of mor money in my pocket, as I'm in dire need of it.

still, I guess will see, it might never come to fruition.

I thought 90% of what he said was a sham. Lobbyists aren't going anywhere soon, and Obama is not immune to them. Most people still get energy from coal and oil. Unemployment is stabilizing, but only because people are giving up on finding jobs.

I do not accept second place for the United States of America.
He's going to have to, like it or not, China will be first in terms of GDP sooner or later.

We will double our exports over the next five years
How does he plan to do that? In our economic system you can't just tell Americans to make more goods and consume less of them. Let alone telling people of other nations to make less goods and consume more of ours.

A few things I liked about the speech were his comments on education, global warming (which caused quite a murmur in the room), and gays in the military. Although I'll believe the latter when I see it.

I think if it's a feasible idea for long term economic success, then i hope he is able to implement it or create a chain of progress which will lead to the development of these educational proposals. We sure need the relief since too much of the money most college grads spend after graduation is paying debt and bills from loans, credit cards, bills, etc. leaving no money to save or plan for the future efficiently. I guess we'll see.

Obama is indeed very charismatic, and I'm sure he really wants to aid the county's current situation, the only problem I find is that his ideals might be a bit unrealistic, he's handling to much at the tme, hack the consequence of being president in such tough, crucial times...all this pressure must be causing him a lot of stress and in the end nothing might get done, I think he must first focus on a particular area and then from there he could do the same for other areas, there's no real improvement if he just creates a bunch of ideas. But of course Obama wants to try his best for the better of the people, after all people do type him as an ENFJ :).

But he isn't having an easy time. He faces constant roadblocks, with every step forward there are two steps back!! He has his hands full but that is his job, but trying to handle the opposition and the situations they cause make it overwhelming!

I wish him all the best really, sometimes I even think to myself if he is sad xD