Ni - arts or sciences? | INFJ Forum

Ni - arts or sciences?

technics

On Holiday
May 13, 2011
MBTI
Yes
Don't you think that Ni is more at home in the arts/humanities than the sciences?

I think Ni confronted with creative stuff (like writing a film script, industrial design, poetry, etc.) is much more challenging and rewarding than with logical/mathematical problems (solving equations, logical riddles etc.). The latter can be broken down into more tangible pieces while the former has to be solved fully and at once.

Last edited:
logical/mathematical problems (solving equations, logical riddles etc.)

For the record, those have very little (debateably, nothing) to do with science.

In any case, i don't see the arts requiring the use of Ni more than science (cbf explaining why, but it should be obvious..).

Last edited:
Ni has most do with design and aesthetic appreciation, while it is the nature of Te to deal with impersonal structures. However, the INTJ scientist is just a stereotype. Meet the following awesome non-scientist INTJs:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYjBQKIOb-w"]YouTube - ‪David Bowie - Heroes (live)‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVS01raA-Lo"]YouTube - ‪More Girls Who Do Comedy - Whoopi Goldberg 1/3‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GGAgtq_rQc"]YouTube - ‪It Gets Better‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gdhAHkpD7k"]YouTube - ‪Simon Cowell talks Susan Boyle in new interview‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQScRuZj9s"]YouTube - ‪Borat Meets David Letterman‬‏[/ame]

(INTJ interviewing INTJ)

Reactions: Jungian Trip
Maybe, but science needs more Ni than it currently has. So that's where I'm headed :)

I appreciate both. I studied philosophical ethics for my graduate program, but I nearly took the route of modal logic. So glad I didn't.

I am currently looking into a Ph.D in neuroscience and from the relatively little I do know, I think that it combines the bigger picture with analysis. I could see an INTP, INFJ, or INFP enjoying the field.

Poetry, literature, and the arts (especially music) constitute a major part of my life as well.

I see little reason to keep those things separated in one person or that the stereotype is necessarily true.

It would say it depends. I'd think Ni could be at home either in arts or the sciences, at least as far as the thoughts and reasoning goes. I think the part that would break them would be the actual field of work though. Science is very rigid and structured; you always have to lay our, write out and plan out each and every step you take - something that tends to frustrate the Ni in us types.

Now, scientific application where it comes down to taking theories and working them into practical applications - invention - is a place I would say Ni excels. In other words, the Si/Se are going to be the ones good at doing the every-day work in the field and applying it in their lives, but the Ni's are the ones who would probably end up "thinking outside the box" enough to make a breakthrough in some form.

Anything beyond that, you're talking Left and Right hemispheres of the brain which I wouldn't really use MBTI to explain.

I'm actually planning to go to graduate school for mathematics. I do find mathematics fulfilling because I think of it more than just a set of numbers. It's a gateway into the beyond that may give us insight into our existence. There's a lot of beauty in mathematics - at least, that's how I see it.

Cognitive functions do not have a preference for career choices.

no, but they do have a preference for dealing with the kinds of issues that different career paths tend to come across.

no, but they do have a preference for dealing with the kinds of issues that different career paths tend to come across.

Not really, they just handle issues differently. Experienced ISTJs make just as good counselors as INFJs and Extroverts are no Better at Public Speaking then Introverts. It's just a matter figuring out how to use your strengths to best respond to the situation.

Not really, they just handle issues differently. Experienced ISTJs make just as good counselors as INFJs and Extroverts are no Better at Public Speaking then Introverts. It's just a matter figuring out how to use your strengths to best respond to the situation.

ok

Agreed. Natural aptitude makes developing skill in a task easier, but anyone can become anything they want.

I've recently become annoyed with the sensibility that introverts can't be good speakers, extroverts can't think deeply, intuitives can't handle reality, sensors can't think outside the box, feelers can't think, thinkers can't feel, percievers can't finish anything, judgers can't let anything go, etc.

Type is nothing but a lean in certain directions, on average, over time. There is no can't with type.

INFJs tend to be natural empaths. However, my ISTJ buddy can read me like a book via paying attention to little details and understanding how they relate. End result is the same. It just takes him a little longer. I have a friend who can bench press 750 pounds. I can lift 250 pounds three times. End result is the same. It just takes me a little longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Resonance
Agreed. Natural aptitude makes developing skill in a task easier, but anyone can become anything they want.

I've recently become annoyed with the sensibility that introverts can't be good speakers, extroverts can't think deeply, intuitives can't handle reality, sensors can't think outside the box, feelers can't think, thinkers can't feel, percievers can't finish anything, judgers can't let anything go, etc.

Type is nothing but a lean in certain directions, on average, over time. There is no can't with type.

Isn't the thread about the preference that Ni has for sciences or the arts though? People tend to enjoy the things that come easy to them so would it really be that far off to think that someone who's an ENFJ might enjoy public speaking more than an ISTP and, as such, continue improving upon their skills in it? I agree, any type can be anything.

~~~

Ni likes what Ni likes, I think. I'm an INTJ and I enjoy writing, playing Go (or learning, I'm terrible...), studying biology and anatomy, and I deeply love the arts as a musician, and a person who loves seeing plays, and an individuals who's looking into starting up with pottery. I have to admit though, as an INTJ, computer programming wasn't inherently all that fun for me nor do I find math all that entertaining but that's just me. I enjoy people and culture more. In this case, I don't think Ni really has much of a bias towards either inherently, even the most logical equations come from something perceivable. I think Ni would like that and then would go about proving what it has observed.

Isn't the thread about the preference that Ni has for sciences or the arts though? People tend to enjoy the things that come easy to them so would it really be that far off to think that someone who's an ENFJ might enjoy public speaking more than an ISTP and, as such, continue improving upon their skills in it? I agree, any type can be anything.

~~~

Ni likes what Ni likes, I think. I'm an INTJ and I enjoy writing, playing Go (or learning, I'm terrible...), studying biology and anatomy, and I deeply love the arts as a musician, and a person who loves seeing plays, and an individuals who's looking into starting up with pottery. I have to admit though, as an INTJ, computer programming wasn't inherently all that fun for me nor do I find math all that entertaining but that's just me. I enjoy people and culture more. In this case, I don't think Ni really has much of a bias towards either inherently, even the most logical equations come from something perceivable. I think Ni would like that and then would go about proving what it has observed.

Indeed. Ni is pattern recognition and problem solving, pure and simple. Our specific motivations come more from our J functions.

Also, I'd love to play some Go with you if you're interested. I'm on KGS.

Ni is greatly needed in the sciences. It helps with unifying theories. It improves the understanding across disciplines. It brings more efficiency to large heterogeneous systems.

Reactions: VH
Naw, ya like what yer good at, usually.

I look at it like this. INTJs tend to excel at things that require relative logic and reasoning. INFJs tend to excel at things that require exerted ethics and emotion. We're both intensely curious and intuitive types, but how that manifests is the realm of the secondary function.

Hmm... I suppose that's true of all the types. ENFJs manifest their urge to help others and be involved with them differently than ESFJs, etc. Okay, nevermind. It's not the J, it's the secondary function that provides the distinction. The J functions are just more obvious in our aptitudes.

I look at it like this. INTJs tend to excel at things that require relative logic and reasoning. INFJs tend to excel at things that require exerted ethics and emotion. We're both intensely curious and intuitive types, but how that manifests is the realm of the secondary function.

Hmm... I suppose that's true of all the types. ENFJs manifest their urge to help others and be involved with them differently than ESFJs, etc. Okay, nevermind. It's not the J, it's the secondary function that provides the distinction. The J functions are just more obvious in our aptitudes.
Maybe... I think it's just a whole world of difference between each one, and that pretty much any skill can be addressed by any of the functions, but how that will work will be different and is more efficient one way or another.

For example, when I'm programming, I think of it kind of like making a ridiculously specific wish to a very strict and whiny genie XD I first started playing with my friends with an old computer running QBASIC, which is a lot like writing a recipe or instruction booklet, then Ni took over and essentialized the concepts of control flow, call stack, etc.

Fe in action? Maybe a little bit :3

In the end, I'm not really as creative with algorithm design and stuff like that... but my code is a lot more readable than most and I can pick up little notation glitches like nothing :)