[INFJ] - Need your advice on INFJ career problems! | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Need your advice on INFJ career problems!

maatorp

One
Jan 4, 2020
MBTI
INFJ
I'm an INFJ, (24 years old, female) I studied social work and had several jobs for a short period but i'm still struggling to find what I want and can do. It's not easy in my country to find a job as a social worker so when I was searching for a job I first worked as a childcare worker, which was nice because I like children but it wasn't very fulfilling because it's jut a lot of caring for the children. I'm very interested in the psychology and child development but I couldn't really use that a lot in the job. After 8 months of working there I found a temporary job as a family counselor (3 months). I worked with the parents and also cared for the children. I liked this job but I also felt like i didn't have enough knowledge to share with my clients, I had one client of 16 years old who was pregnant, so I had to tell her all about pregnancy haha. I did like to work with the families and they respected me but I just felt insecure a lot because i felt like I new very little of how to raise a child and such.. So after 3 months the employee that I replaced came back and I had to go. Didn't feel so sad to go because I was still adjusting to the work. They did say that they were gonna miss me and that they liked me. Two months later i found a job in a school with children who have behavioral problems such as autism, as a school counselor. It wasn't in my city so I had to use the train, which was a change for me because I studied in my city and never really use the train that much. But I was excited that i finally found a job, at the interview the boss was really nice and kind, which made me feel comfortable. The first day of the job went okay, I had stress but the collegues were really nice and showed me around the whole day. They told me what my job was, one part was counseling kids, but i first had to get to know them, they said. An other part was watching the students who had to be put in time out, these are tiny rooms where they have to sit and settle down when they lose their temper. Didn't really like this part of the job because you just have to sit there and wait untill they are calm. The second day they already gave me a lot of tasks to do, such as having a conversation with two students who were fighting, making letters,.. I did what I could do but felt like I knew so little of the students and school to already do my job.. The next day i started freaking out and felt a lot of anxiety. I still went to the school and like it was planned i had to watch the students in the time out for 4 hours. I didn't feel okay so i talked to the other school counselor. She was very kind. I told her i'm not sure if i can do this and that everything is going really fast for me. She understood me and told me that it's sometimes even for her a very stressfull and emotional job. She told me i could go home and think about it. For me it was already decided that I was gonna quit. My friends and family tried to convice me to just try and that it might get better. But I just didn't feel it and I know that I have to listen to myself. So I quit, I felt very dissapointed in myself ( I already had this experience twice as a trainee, so I felt like a faillure again.) I once did a good traineeship in a (normal) school so I expected that I was really gonna love this job.. Now I'm at home searching for another job, I'm more carefull with what I'm searching for but that also means I have less options. People ask me why I just don't go working in a shop but I really don't want to do that. I don't know if all this is typical for an INFJ or it's just me who is always very anxious and sensitive.. I'd like to hear your feedback

Reactions: slant
What sort of advice are you looking for?
You've outlined a story here, but not identified specifics very clearly.
There is some kind of stress that social interaction gives you, and yet you desire to work in a profession that requires such things (mostly all do).
You are young so you'll have time to orient yourself properly and navigate to an environment that fits you best. Seems you are being proactive there so that's good.

Seems to me you are putting yourself in environments where you are dealing with conflicts directly, which is definitely something INFJs tend to be averse to.
But there are plenty of jobs where that kind of thing is minimal.

Welcome to the world of mental health and working with troubled folks. it is very common to feel overwhelmed when you start a new position in that field, regardless of your experience. The learning curve is steep and you will feel very inadequate for awhile. . then, one day it will fall into place. I say that as one who worked in it for 45 years. . So if you decide to stay in the field, just be aware that this is the way it is for awhile..
But, maybe this isn't where you really want to be. . you need to ask yourself why you want this line of work. It is hard and emotionally draining on the best of days.
So I would start with a serious look at what your real passions are. . don't do something just to do it, or because that what your education was in. . it's your life, live it the way you want to.

I'm glad you listened to yourself and how you felt. Most people are denying their own feelings about their work. It shows you actually care about humans and emotions. If you still want to work with autism children I'm sure there's an opportunity. Maybe that school wasn't the right situation, or you can sort out your true feelings about the work. Or you could set up your own school and do things differently. Sometimes it's good for INFJ's to become their own leader!

I just wrote an article about career/work, so feel free to check out my page.