Ne vs Ni

Mogura

Community Member
Dec 18, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Dunno
I am curious as to the differences between Ne and Ni. I like the "use your own definition" format of the Fe vs Fi thread, so if you could describe what each means to you in your own words, as well as provide examples illustrating those cognitive functions, it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA...

i was gonna create a thread like thiiiiiis

Ne thinks outside the box, and thus uses that to exploit the rules of the box.

Ni sees how the box could be seen 560 different ways, and uses that to it exploit the rules of the box.

I see Ni as forming a theory, a conclusion, from a set of scattered principles. In other words, inductive reasoning.

I see Ne as taking a theory, and forming principles based off of an existing theory. Or deductive reasoning.

You can look at it as the opening (Ne) and closing (Ni) of a fan. They are certainly capable of working together in that manner.

Ne thinks outside the box, and thus uses that to exploit the rules of the box.

Ni sees how the box could be seen 560 different ways, and uses that to it exploit the rules of the box.

I'd say Ne works more to think up 560 ideas of what the outside of the box looks like while still in the box.

Ni will take a couple different perspectives of the box together and mold them into one to figure out what the box means. And then Ni can figure a way out of how to keep the box up or how to burn it down.

Would you say that Ne is the primary function responsible for hacking the system or beating the system?

it's all about the pattern recognition

I'd say Ne works more to think up 560 ideas of what the outside of the box looks like while still in the box.

Ni will take a couple different perspectives of the box together and mold them into one to figure out what the box means. And then Ni can figure a way out of how to keep the box up or how to burn it down.

thats what i said

Ni is arbitrarily specific, Ne is specifically arbitrary.

Ni consolidates, Ne expands.
In, out.

Many threads to make a shirt; many ways to design a shirt.
(This one is an awkward analogy, I admit)

Would you say that Ne is the primary function responsible for hacking the system or beating the system?
Hmmm, I would say beating the system

Isn't Ne the one that can "re-invent the wheel"?
Find loopholes in rules, that they can manipulate to their liking?

It's in the name, Ne is about the external world. It's all about possibilities, what could be done to the world, what everything could be. It's obsessed with novelty and constant change.
It's much more concerned with the actual reality than Ni.

Hmmm, I would say beating the system

Isn't Ne the one that can "re-invent the wheel"?
Find loopholes in rules, that they can manipulate to their liking?
The reason I ask is that this is something I do very well. Whenever I approach a system, whether technical or social, I get a flood of ideas on how I can hack it or break it. I then use this knowledge to either exploit the system or improve it. Since I work in IT, this makes me pretty damn good at my job. But at the same time it creates a lot of conflict between myself and my colleages/bosses who think more linearly.

But it's not as if when walking down the street I am coming up with ideas out of the blue and off the top of my head. They usually work off of something, an already existing system that needs to be improved (or dismantled/replaced), etc.

The reason I ask is that this is something I do very well. Whenever I approach a system, whether technical or social, I get a flood of ideas on how I can hack it or break it. I then use this knowledge to either exploit the system or improve it. Since I work in IT, this makes me pretty damn good at my job. But at the same time it creates a lot of conflict between myself and those who think more linearly.

But it's not as if when walking down the street I am coming up with ideas out of the blue. They usually work off of something, an already existing system that needs to be improved (or dismantled/replaced), etc.

looks pretty Ne

The reason I ask is that this is something I do very well. Whenever I approach a system, whether technical or social, I get a flood of ideas on how I can hack it or break it. I then use this knowledge to either exploit the system or improve it. Since I work in IT, this makes me pretty damn good at my job. But at the same time it creates a lot of conflict between myself and my colleages/bosses who think more linearly.

But it's not as if when walking down the street I am coming up with ideas out of the blue and off the top of my head. They usually work off of something, an already existing system that needs to be improved (or dismantled/replaced), etc.
Do you think that is the reason that we see a lot of NTPs working in IT?