Narcissism in the culture | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Narcissism in the culture

This doesn't affect celebrities alone. It affects human beings in general. Any situation in which someone inflates another's ego, leading them to feel that they are more than they are, they will likely become narcissistic. It's almost inevitable that you begin to think of yourself as bigger and better because everyone keeps telling you that you are.

We're all vulnerable to it to an extent. Some are more susceptible than others of course. But in a culture which values recognition and publicity over everything else, it's hard not to fall victim to it.

Yeah. I noticed, for example, on a certain message board (not this one), that there was a culture that fed narcissism on the message board. There were several persons on the forum that everyone remembered and seemed to respect, and they were always being mean to other people. I wonder if they became narcissistic individuals as a whole necause of their "fame" on the message board or if it was just a role on the web. Most of them have become softer imo but one of the persons (who was one of the most "famous" on the message board) started acting in a more and more narcissistic manner and was eventually banned from the forum, and as I've seen him elsewhere on the web, he acts in a very narcissistic manner all over the web. Probably there have been other issues in his life, too, that have resulted in this, but I wonder if being "famous" on a message board catalysed his narcissistic demeanour. :(

Yeah. I noticed, for example, on a certain message board (not this one), that there was a culture that fed narcissism on the message board. There were several persons on the forum that everyone remembered and seemed to respect, and they were always being mean to other people. I wonder if they became narcissistic individuals as a whole necause of their "fame" on the message board or if it was just a role on the web. Most of them have become softer imo but one of the persons (who was one of the most "famous" on the message board) started acting in a more and more narcissistic manner and was eventually banned from the forum, and as I've seen him elsewhere on the web, he acts in a very narcissistic manner all over the web. Probably there have been other issues in his life, too, that have resulted in this, but I wonder if being "famous" on a message board catalysed his narcissistic demeanour. :(

This is why too many compliments or accolades are not good. We may begin to think more highly of ourselves than we should.

Hmmm, time for an amateur psychologist. ;) Ok, I'm totally poking fun at myself with that title.

I've been thinking for a while now that Narcissism is a huge problem in our country. Huge. I would bet that most of us, if not all, have seen this person:

From http://samvak.tripod.com/npdglance.html:

• Feels grandiose and self-important;
  • Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance, bodily beauty or sexual performance, or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion;
  • Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people or institutions;
  • Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation – or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious;
  • Feels entitled. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her unreasonable expectations for special and favourable priority treatment;
  • Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends;
  • Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with, acknowledge, or accept the feelings, needs, preferences, priorities, and choices of others;
  • Constantly envious of others and seeks to hurt or destroy the objects of his or her frustration. Suffers from persecutory (paranoid) delusions as he or she believes that they feel the same about him or her and are likely to act similarly;
  • Behaves arrogantly and haughtily. Feels superior, omnipotent, omniscient, invincible, immune, "above the law"

Hmmm, time for an amateur psychologist. ;) Ok, I'm totally poking fun at myself with that title.

I've been thinking for a while now that Narcissism is a huge problem in our country. Huge. I would bet that most of us, if not all, have seen this person:

From http://samvak.tripod.com/npdglance.html:

• Feels grandiose and self-important;
  • Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance, bodily beauty or sexual performance, or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion;
  • Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people or institutions;
  • Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation

When parents decided to adopt a new code of ethics, I think a generation of narcissists were born. "Don't spank, don't say no, don't yell, hell, don't even raise your voice." Everything was suddenly directed at the ego of the child.

The schools used to be about reading, writing and 'rithmetic but suddenly they started policing families and even diagnosing children. Parents gave up a lot of their rights in exchange for the protection of the schools and government.

Everything became about the self esteem of the child, protection of the self esteem was all important. My son came home with tests with stars on them and I'd think he had really aced something when I'd see he had failed miserably. What were the stars for? Just to keep his self esteem up. wth

My son wrote in tiny handwriting and it irritated me to no end but the teachers advised me against correcting him because it might damage his self esteem. When I decided to home school my son I said, "OK, from now on write bigger! That tiny handwriting is really annoying!" He laughed and changed it immediately. sheesh

I do notice a lot of narcissism lately. Well, just watch television sometime; it's run by narcissists!

Reactions: Gaze
When parents decided to adopt a new code of ethics, I think a generation of narcissists were born. "Don't spank, don't say no, don't yell, hell, don't even raise your voice." Everything was suddenly directed at the ego of the child.

The schools used to be about reading, writing and 'rithmetic but suddenly they started policing families and even diagnosing children. Parents gave up a lot of their rights in exchange for the protection of the schools and government.

Everything became about the self esteem of the child, protection of the self esteem was all important. My son came home with tests with stars on them and I'd think he had really aced something when I'd see he had failed miserably. What were the stars for? Just to keep his self esteem up. wth

Yes!