Most people would rather...

floatingbridge

Life's a ride
Donor
Aug 21, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
"Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy."

Today, I came across this quote for the first time and it struck me, but I could not think of any examples.

Does anybody have some good examples of this quote or stories to tell?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
A lot of people are afraid of taking risks. While those risks might lead them to happiness, there is a chance that it will lead to more pain and misery. So, they decide that it is not worth it. Why do something that could possibly make life worse?

I have been in many a situation where I have stayed in a stagnant place (that made me very unhappy) for fear of making it worse. Recently, I have decided that this rationale is not in my best interest...or anyone's really. But, conquering fear is far from easy. It's a tough journey that a lot of people aren't prepared for.

"Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy."

Today, I came across this quote for the first time and it struck me, but I could not think of any examples.

Does anybody have some good examples of this quote or stories to tell?

Thanks in advance

It seems that people who grew up in abusive households seldom move outside that type of domestic situation - they will even marry abusive spouses.

I presume, it's because that's what they are familiar with, and know how to operate in it.

A lot of people are afraid of taking risks. While those risks might lead them to happiness, there is a chance that it will lead to more pain and misery. So, they decide that it is not worth it. Why do something that could possibly make life worse?

I have been in many a situation where I have stayed in a stagnant place (that made me very unhappy) for fear of making it worse. Recently, I have decided that this rationale is not in my best interest...or anyone's really. But, conquering fear is far from easy. It's a tough journey that a lot of people aren't prepared for.
This.
Going to new areas requires more learning, more trouble, more dealing with the world and all its troubles. Worse, you may even get in worse place than you are now.

Staying only needs a strong willpower and perseverance. It's easier.

Happiness requires action and a degree of assertiveness or aggressiveness. Which all require a willingness to take a risk..
I'd agree with what has been said here, it's easier to be miserable.

I knew someone who was totally miserable.. and ALWAYS wanted to talk about it. If I tried to give them suggestions on how to improve their life (after listening to them go on and on about how miserable they were) they just became frustrated and said I didn't understand.
Maybe I didn't completely, but it really sounded like they expected someone to swoop in and rescue them from their unhappiness, and they refused to take any action themselves. I'd say that person preferred to be certain they were miserable.

It seems that people who grew up in abusive households seldom move outside that type of domestic situation - they will even marry abusive spouses.

I presume, it's because that's what they are familiar with, and know how to operate in it.

Yes.

But it's not so much that they are familiar with it in the sense you consciously stick with what you know because you're "comfortable" with it.
They genuinely wish to avoid being in abusive situations.

The truth is - their brains were hardwired during the abusive period to such a degree that the thought/emotion process is perceived as the dominant way of being.
When the abused person is in a calm non abusive situations, their brain starts sending out the message that this "is not normal" for them. This person will then act out perhaps to create a situation in which they are attack (maybe verbally or physically) in order to satisfy the brains NEED for what it thinks is normal.

I read a research article on women in prison that demonstrated they had been abused, severely, throughout their childhood. In their adult lives, they repeatedly sought situations, even while trying not to, that brought them in close proximity to violence. Eventually they'd experience some kind of violence and then they'd retreat looking for a calm safe place.

People's brains became conditioned (if you will) - literally the neurons are hardwired together - to expect the behaviors enacted upon them as normal.
It's called learning the New Normal. Their baseline changed.

When this happens - the person (generally) does not have the ability to consciously Choose what's healthy for them - consistently - without help and the wisdom gained from knowing what's actually going on in their heads.

The hardwiring of the nuerons of the brain is a powerful presence in people's lives. It permeates many acts of humanity including addictions, idealogies, depression, and hatred/fear.

Here are two ways to look at risk:

1. You take a risk, you fail, you are punished.

2. You take a risk, you fail, you are rewarded for your courage and urged to take more risks.

Which of the above leads to the more dynamic, healthier society? (Don't worry, a society needs only a few expert risk takers to flourish--but the other people must stay out of their way)

When you first learn something new you will fumble and stagger. Something old and familiar can dig a rut that is easy to follow to climb out of such a rut is difficult, to be a beginner is embarrassing.

When you first learn something new you will fumble and stagger. Something old and familiar can dig a rut that is easy to follow to climb out of such a rut is difficult, to be a beginner is embarrassing.

Good point.

Being embarrassed at not appearing perfect the first time someone tries anything new is a conditioned response that is illogical, though.

How can a person do something perfect the first time? It makes no sense.
Unfortunately in our culture - people poke fun and seek to embarrass others all of the time when someone messes up. It's an attempt to cover over their own fears. Then the cycle of belittling continues.

...sigh...

Yep. I am with someone who pretty much thinks exactly like this. They assume they are going to be hurt so they treat the one they're with as if this person is going to cause them pain like those who hurt them in the past. They live in perpetual anticipation of people not following through. So, when they see gold, they think it's fool's gold or gold paint, so they keep scratching the surface hoping to confirm that it was just paint. Then they can justify their distrust of what they see, so they don't risk disappointment just in case they're right.

you know, my analogies kinda suck, methinks. :D

Yes.

But it's not so much that they are familiar with it in the sense you consciously stick with what you know because you're "comfortable" with it.
They genuinely wish to avoid being in abusive situations.

The truth is - their brains were hardwired during the abusive period to such a degree that the thought/emotion process is perceived as the dominant way of being.
When the abused person is in a calm non abusive situations, their brain starts sending out the message that this "is not normal" for them. This person will then act out perhaps to create a situation in which they are attack (maybe verbally or physically) in order to satisfy the brains NEED for what it thinks is normal.

Or reading into someone's behavior things which aren't there. They go into a situation assuming that this "normal" is typical and is likely happen. In other words, they go in expecting their fears to be confirmed, expecting to face the unhealthy normal they are familiar with, only to find that something more healthy and positive exists. But for some reason, it does not compute. They then think it's an act, believing they're being deceived and the truth will come out later. So, they'd rather be miserable in the not so great state of affairs they know than face a new difficult reality where they must leave their comfort place to possibly experience a new reality, which although is no guarantee, is not the disappointment they think it is.

Reactions: Kgal
Deterministic, and an over simplistic idea for understanding attitude, changes in child hood are influenced by biological, psychological, environmental, prenatal, genetics, and learning, so how did you manage to reduce human behavior to wiring like mechanics?!
I would say that child abuse has a strong negative correlation with steady cognitive development, and a positive correlation with a negative outlook, but that can be modified.

And to be a beginners is exciting. Being embarrassed is a waste of energy.

Isn't that kind of a straw man?

The hardwiring of the nuerons of the brain is a powerful presence in people's lives.

....was the assertion, not that neural networking is the sole determining factor of human behavior. In the context in which (I believe) that statement was meant, cognitive-behavioral theory backs it up pretty well afaik. Yeah, it's just a theoretical framework for understanding human behavior. All frameworks are just that: frameworks. They are by no means infallible or applicable in every situation, but I think that what K-gal said was applicable to the *reads OP* thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
Being embarrassed at not appearing perfect the first time someone tries anything new is a conditioned response that is illogical, though.

How can a person do something perfect the first time? It makes no sense.
Unfortunately in our culture - people poke fun and seek to embarrass others all of the time when someone messes up. It's an attempt to cover over their own fears. Then the cycle of belittling continues.

...sigh...

Very true.

Also, I think unhappiness (particularly when it borders on depression) can bring with it two unfortunate effects:

1) You have less faith in your own judgement/competency and
2) Your energy levels/resiliency are lower than normal

I think both of these make risky, high impact decisions really hard.

Like being trapped in the mountains and running out of food right? Do you hope someone comes to rescue you or do you walk to the nearest town and use up your energy and resources that much faster? It's hard to do things that would scare you at full strength when you're already weak. Neither option is super encouraging.

Reactions: Gaze
Very true.

Also, I think unhappiness (particularly when it borders on depression) can bring with it two unfortunate effects:

1) You have less faith in your own judgement/competency and
2) Your energy levels/resiliency are lower than normal

I think both of these make risky, high impact decisions really hard.

Like being trapped in the mountains and running out of food right? Do you hope someone comes to rescue you or do you walk to the nearest town and use up your energy and resources that much faster? It's hard to do things that would scare you at full strength when you're already weak. Neither option is super encouraging.

Absolutely. Chronic depression (continual unhappiness) gets hardwired into the brain as well. Then, as [MENTION=1669]Rite[/MENTION] pointed out, even if we aren't seeking negative experiences, our brain will find it anyway because it's hardwired to do so. The negative experience reinforces the hardwiring. It's a vicious cycle.

In addition, all of the focus on fear of being unhappy - for any reason - drains the body of it's energy. Being fearful, worried, anxious, stresses the glands which produce the chemicals for "real" fearful situations. After a while, the glands get tired of doing it all of the time and they get sluggish and/or too tired to function properly. Also, science has shown all of the cortisol continuously flowing through our body damages it health wise. It's a hard 2 kicks to a person who is depressed.

It diminishes our functioning - impacting both mental and physical fitness.