Mood and physical space | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Mood and physical space

How does your physical environment affect you?

• Profoundly. Aesthetics are ESSENTIAL to my well-being.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • I notice I usually need to be in certain environments to feel good and I feel bad in others.

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Meh, sometimes, it's not really a big deal.

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I guess it could be possible but I've never really noticed.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I've never thought about this. My environment is purely functional. My mood is unaffected by it.

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
I love nature and the likes. I feel so free and relaxed being in that surrounding.

Being in a small/cramp room makes me feel trapped. (I know that cubicle offices will have a draining affect on me.)

My surroundings does affect my mood.

For me, smells and sounds have a LOT to do with my mood.

Examples:
- If my roommate is cooking something and stinks the whole place up with it... not good. I'll shut my bedroom door and light some incense or a couple candles.

- If my roommate/neighbors are listening to some music that I don't like, I'll either put on my headphones and drown it out with my own music or leave the apartment altogether.

- Now that I think about it, it's VERY hard for me to be productive in any environment that is messy or disorganized. Whether it's cooking or studying, I need to have a clear workspace first before I have a hope of getting anything done. This even applies for when I'm practicing guitar - can't have my bedroom messy - it will be too distracting.

The weather will also REALLY effect my mood. I love cold, rainy, dark, windy, dreary, spooky, stormy weather. Can't get enough. Granted, it makes me really moody but my capacity to feel the depth of my emotions is enhanced in this kind of weather, so I like it.

Last edited:
Ever since I painted my bedroom dark red and threw away about 90% of shit I didn't need (chair, TV, desk etc.) I now wake up energized in the morning, and chill back with ease at night.

cimg0291.jpg

Color really actually affects a lot.

Red is a stimulating color, and brighter hues can make for a faster heartbeat and higher blood pressure. It can be noticeable and vibrant, or sensual and alluring. Pink, on the other hand, can actually cause people to loose energy.

Blues bring out calming chemicals, and people are more productive in blue rooms -- studies show blue weight rooms help weightlifters lift more.

Green can improve vision, and it is used in rooms to help relax people. It is often associated with nature.

Yellow speeds metabolism and enhances concentration, but is most difficult on the eye. People lose their tempers more in yellow rooms, and babies cry more as well.

Purple can be sophisticated and luxurious, or very romantic. It is not commonly found often in nature, though, so it doesn't stimulate as much beyond that.

Browns and neutrals are not distracting and very natural.

White can show purity and innocence or simplicity, but it can also be a very sterile color. Too much white can be stressful.

Black can symbolize authority or power, or submission and a state of being subdue, depending on how it's used.