"Miss Independent" | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

"Miss Independent"

I see independence as just being you. Living according to your own values and preferences, independent of labels.

This!
Truley independt person live independecne according to her/his inner guidelines.
I personally feel lost between two worlds. Most of my life I've been solo, I like people in my lives and I need their approval, but somewhere deep I do my own way. I strongly fight my need to be with someone if it is only because I don't want to be alone. I don't know how to explain, I am very ambigvious. In some elements I am stereotypicaly woman, in some I am not. For example, I am overly emotional inside. On the other hand, on outside, I never open up to others in typically feminine way. I never do "sex and city" chatting, I don't know how. I don't feel comfortable.
I feel that I am indepenedent, I do my own way, but I am weak, sometimes terribly nonassertive and very attached sometimes...Confusing mix. Even for myself. I really feel ambigvious...
I actually feel as if I am princess and warrior in the same time. Two for the price of one...

Reactions: Gaze
*eats popcorn*

I was raised by an independent mother, a woman to look up to. And I'll tell you why I call her independent. My mom has my dad and myself and my sister and she is for the most part the breadwinner. But I more respect her for taking control of her own life and doing what she wants to do without asking anyone for permission except for her family. She has always put us first but set aside time for herself. So I think she successfully raised a family (because that was what she wanted), holds a corporate job (also what she wanted), and is still her own person. I think because of this, I've never really viewed her as a gender but a person. Maybe that's the key. It just sucks that woman have to juggle everything in order to escape the gender stigma. Because I've been raised with her as an example I've kind of come to see myself as a person also which is positive but in some ways negative. Because I was completely oblivious until recently that some people might want to restrict what I do or what I'm capable of because I'm a woman.

It just sucks that woman have to juggle everything in order to escape the gender stigma.

Yep....

And despite juggling it, there is an expectation that emotions and self-preservation (rather taking care of self as a woman) are out of the equation. Just because I juggle all these things and am independent, does this mean I now have to live up to some manly, patriarchal image? This is a load of horseshit and also the most annoying thing about being a woman (and mother) in my opinion. I really have started ignoring people when I tell me this is their perception of me.

I'm not out to prove anything to anyone, or present an image, I'm just doing what I think I'm supposed to be doing it and that's it.

Reactions: Gaze