misogyny around the US | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

misogyny around the US

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of insecurity out there and I don't think that these things necessarily make a lot of sense, but we're not really talking about something where emotions/feelings aren't the primary motivating factor. Everyone has their own contradictions and paradoxes... their ideals clash with their instincts, etc... and men aren't always so good with articulating their feelings on a subject-- because of what being that way implies.

But yeah, I'll admit that some of the things I did describe are insecurity, but I do think that some of it is also just stubbornness, sense of tradition, and even willful resistance of the 'new society'.

It's times like this I'm glad I'm a capitalist. I can rest easier at night knowing that such insecurity is likely holding them back from accomplishing more in this world... and I'm doing my part to make this world a more competitive place, so people like this can be breed out as they start to appear as cultural "failures"...thus limiting their reproductive options.

It's times like this I was a "executionerist" or maybe just a "genocidalist", or how about a "TotalWussyKillerIst" Yea.... that's the one! but alas, killing someone (or something) else is usually a crime... and it's not very christian of me either. So i'll have to settle for being a capitalist.

Ok, so I exaggerate slightly. But only slightly. I just have zero respect for weakness that defends t's own weakness by calling others weak in an attempt to feel strong. man... as I type this... I know how hitler felt. Maybe scary...but true!

-E

other than the abortion issue, I guess I assume these are just a given. Though I could make an argument for circumcision, and it's done almost as a matter of policy in the U.S. For some of the more conservative jewish sects, they do it the old fashioned way... as it wait for the bar mitzfa (phonetic spelling, I can't spell hebrew) around the age of 13. Futhermore, some circumcision is regularlly conducted in some regions of the world with sharpened bamboo or broken glass. Oh, and about 65% of boys born in the US have it done today...where a generation ago, it was 85%. Some psychologists have reasoned and concluded that the psychological damage actually is life long, regardless of the age it was done... but, here I sit, totally circumsized, and actually rather indifferent towards it.

Here's an article for ya if you care to read at least one internet published author on the subject - seemed pretty real to me, though I just don't see the problem with it that the writer does. But, hey, it definatley falls under the "forced genital mutilation" catagory: http://sikhism.about.com/od/questionsaboutsikhism/f/Do-Sikhs-Believe-In-Circumcision.htm

As for the abortion issue, I don't believe I can say I have much of an opinion. It is such an extremely volitile issue from any angle, at any point. Science is yet to come up with even a universally agreed on definition for "life", and religion (dispite what some fundamentalists would argue) has provided no better answer for it either. Regarding this issue, I'm not sure about any other religion than the christian/catholic faith, but I know for fact Jesus said nothing about abortion, although it did exist as a concept, and had some means of being practiced (as well as other forms of birth control) during his time. Even the quotes borrowed from the bible are questionably used by the pro life advocates.... but on the other hand, the bible is pretty clear on murder, and few would argue that.

So, at what stage does a fetus become a viable life? at 9 days past conception? well, hmm.. it's argueable.

but what about 9 months past conception. I know late term abortions are mostly illegal and very rarely used... but, still... i think most would have a hard time not seeing this as some form of murder or otherwise abuse or disregard for life.

Of course, I don't want a woman who is a victim of incest or rape being forced to carry a child... but, if it's an adult women, who carries to 9 months... but was raped... i mean... yea. this is exactly the problem. It comes down to defining what qualifies as sentient human life, and what should be protected as human free choice, and it's just too complex an issue for me personally to have an opinion.

I suppose I lean pro choice myself, but I just think it's possibly one of the very few issues that I don't think there is really any way to logically determine what is "correct" from a moral and ethical point of view. From an economic point of view... YEA! Gooooooo ABORTIONS!!! So, that's why I lean pro choice...but... I just don't have an opinion on this, because I don't believe I can, other than at the most extreme edges of the issue... (abortions 9 months into pregnancy should be illegal, and 13 year olds who are raped by their uncles should always be able to abort a pregnancy) Other than the most extreme edges of the debate though... I just don't know.

That's not really fair. Men DO have actual issues... and a lot of them circle around male culture and pressures to not discuss sensitive issues, but the incidence of men reporting cases of molestation, gang rape and other acts of sexual violence in prison systems is grossly underrepresented, yet surely contributes to many dysfunctional traits, including raping and otherwise persecuting women. Or, what about the increasing incidents of depression and suicide relating to being more displaced in the modern pop-american culture, or falling rates of attaining a "higher education" on a per capita basis? Or what about the U.S. judicial system having on the books as a matter of LAW that in a divorce proceeding, the judge is expected to give custody by default to the biological mother if the child is under the age of 5. So... this means unless the father can prove his ex wife is UNFIT to be a parent, she gets all the rights. Furthermore, although it's not "the law"...judges in divorce proceedings have historically favored women over the past 200 years, and this bias still continues today. But, that issue is actually rarely raised compared to the womens rights issue.

And as for the counterpart to the rape axe condom... how about the incidence of PTSD that the men who are forced to be apart of such military operations suffer from... you know, not the ones committing the rape, but the ones who are forced to fight alongside them, and stand by silently while these atrocities are being committed. Ok... I suppose they could try to stop it and run the risk of get hacked or shot to death themselves... or they could have their own family get hunted down and killed as punishment for a "disloyal act"... As a consequence, if they do not have a higher military authority than the rapists... they usually feel they are "forced" to not act. And they have to live with that... and some... well, lets just say some end up not living with it. Believe it or not, these types of things are some of the issues that men deal with, and they are equally as real as the ones you list. Would you rather be raped? or would you rather stand in the same room as someone beat and rapes a women, knowing that if you try to act out or run away, you'll likely be killed, and your family might also. Hmmm.. lets see... they both sound like charming situations to be in. I just don't know which one I should pick first.

And of course I could always tell you I feel sorry for you that your dad was domineering and as a result you have a complex about it right now... and it would probably be as accurate and insightful as your comment. I agree that one can start a thread on mens issues, I wouldn't identify with them myself...but I do recognize that they are very real. Another thread would be more appropriate of course, since this one is supposed to be on misogyny and it's close cousin sexism in the United States... but other than the separate thread point, none of what you've stated demonstrates that "the system" debases and otherwise violates the women of the world any more than "the system" does it to men as well.

And, if we're REALLY staying on topic, this is supposed to be about how this all plays out in the U.S. If that's the case, about 75% of every male born here has his penis sliced up, and usually as a matter of policy. How many girls have any such proceedure, sanctioned or otherwise, in the U.S.? And I know female genital mutilation tends to be a more involved, and physically damaging act, but that's kinda like saying "well, when you were raped, he only put his penis in for 10 minutes, and I was raped for an hour straight, so it's WAAAY worse for me". And as a man who has been "mutilated" myself... I'm just kinda indifferent to it. I don't even know why. Maybe it should bother me. Maybe i'm just SUPERTUFF. Probably not. But it's real, and it is an order of magnitude more pervasive than the female counterpart to it. Now on a serious and personal note, I had a brother who spent time behind bars, and we don't talk about that. Now... I wonder why that is. Honestly, I don't know, and I DON'T WANT TO KNOW. I just leave it at that. Of course, most men arn't attacked on the second date with a roofie and a pervert... but don't for a moment think that men don't have their fair share of issues that are equally real and relevent... and maybe more than ever, at least in this decade, in the united states.

-E

I'd love to get into another abortion discussion here, but for the sake of staying on topic... I'm giving you a wink and a nod.

The system violates both men and women because the system was founded upon injustice, regardless of whose favor it was in. You cannot deny power to half the population without making oneself a slave to the process and a prisoner of its consequences. You're seeing the consequences.. The false dichotomy of masculine and feminine has made the world a hostile place for men to be vulnerable in, just as it has made it a hostile place for women to achieve in. You are seeing the fall out. Things may have varying degrees of extremity depending on time and place.. and big strides are being made... the world is changing, but it is not right yet.

The ridiculous thing is that it's almost become a contest of who has it worse. We can't acknowledge that women still face cultural and institutional and legislative misogyny because men are suffering the consequences of a system crumbling that was founded on treating women like property? Men definitely have their own problems as a result.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apone
The ridiculous thing is that it's almost become a contest of who has it worse. We can't acknowledge that women still face cultural and institutional and legislative misogyny because men are suffering the consequences of a system crumbling that was founded on treating women like property?

It is ridiculous but I'm not sure that 'women as property' isn't a rather extreme example.

My parents were never into feminism, etc and yet their relationship is largely egalitarian while also rooted in traditional male/female roles-- dad fixes the pipes and mom cooks the food, etc., but they also do a lot if not most of the things together. The difference is that they're not jealous or possessive and have their own lives outside of marriage.

I really don't think that all societies based on traditional gender roles were/are as barbarically imbalanced as some people make out... such a view basically paints men as the villains of human history. I do think that people who entered into those kinds of relationships were less able to actually do anything about it, or in some cases, to even control who they entered into a relationship with. But there were probably still good men around in those days, just like there are good men around nowadays.

But yes, legally I suppose that it is important to make progress... which is exactly what you were saying, so yeah...

Reactions: acd
I'd love to get into another abortion discussion here, but for the sake of staying on topic... I'm giving you a wink and a nod.

The system violates both men and women because the system was founded upon injustice, regardless of whose favor it was in. You cannot deny power to half the population without making oneself a slave to the process and a prisoner of its consequences. You're seeing the consequences.. The false dichotomy of masculine and feminine has made the world a hostile place for men to be vulnerable in, just as it has made it a hostile place for women to achieve in. You are seeing the fall out. Things may have varying degrees of extremity depending on time and place.. but all is not right.

The ridiculous thing is that it's almost become a contest of who has it worse. We can't acknowledge that women still face cultural and institutional and legislative misogyny because men are suffering the consequences of a system crumbling that was founded on treating women like property? Men definitely have their own problems as a result.

Well, I guess that settles it. I'll get the strychnine, you get the Kool-Aid, and we can meet together for cocktails after work!

it is too bad that it seems a fight to the bottom... but I still feel that's part of the U.S. culture. It does sensationalize victimization. victimization IS a very real thing of course, in all its forms! but... I dont' know. for myself, in my day to day life. I just choose to ignore the outside media hyped sensationalized world, handle others as I would want them to handle me (no suggestive language intended), and if I happen to personally experience an injustice against me, or them... I tend to make it known that there's gonna be some hell to pay if it's not redressed. Not always, but usually. For these reasons I don't own a TV, (ok, I lied, but it has no antenna or cable...just a DVD player), I don't work in corporate america (can't stand cliques' of any sort), and I just don't pay much heed to the nonsense... other than when I partake in it here! I'm sure it's all important stuff that needs to get dredged up and fixed...I think. But, i really just see it in a somewhat binary format: either you did the right thing and acted properly, or you didn't. I don't care what form the "you didn't" takes... it's all the same to me.... just crap that needs to be removed from my life... either by getting rid of Television, or calling the cops on the crazy neighbors who liked to get drunk and then beat each other up, or throwing out dumb jocks from a hotel party as they tried to screw underage girls (that was a LOOOONG time ago... and a really weird night in general), or whatever

Point is, if we all just do our part, the rest takes care of itself. At least that's my experience. As far as acknowledging that women still face cultural and institutional and legislative misogyny, I never said they didn't. I just feel the whole "what women face" thing is largely.... irrelevent. For many of the reasons you brought up. If you live in a culture of rape, your as likley to be a victim as you are to be the perpetrator, regardless of gender. It's really more what "people face". Yes, there are clear cut situations in the United States of misogynestic abuses... I just think it gets played up to be a lot more one sided than it is. And again, it's just crap. I dont' know why people feel the need to draw a circle around a group and then put a label on it unless it is simply not being recognized as crap.

Once said group with label and crap on their heads is showing up all over the place... ok, we can take the label off now, I know what's in the bottle. Your right, it's crap. so lets just go take showers together and quit crapping all over each other. Unless your into that sort of thing of course...but, that's probably a topic for an entirely different forum, nevermind thread.

Anyway, I think i'm done with this thread here... seems it's been rehashed in all the typical ways, and I suppose they are just as relevent as the last time I hashed them out. I'd be interested to see someone bring something more personal to contribute, or a genuine new "twist" on something they are aware of, or have experienced, or believe... but for myself, I'm not learning anything so far that I haven't already felt or known. Yes, diminishing one gender to uplift another is dispicable. Yes, it does occur from time to time. But no our different places in society are not ALL due to discrimination, as men and women do have some differences that explain in part why they tend to be over-represented in different areas and vocations and avocations, etc... and thats OK... at least it's gonna have to be for now, cuz my wife would really be upset if i came home without my manhood for ANY reason, nevermind some excuse like "it's gender equality honey, just, take it easy now, it's only a little equality, nothing to call 911 about".

Outright violations of people that extend beyond mere discrimination are just that: outright violations of people. I don't see any reason or virtue of attaching a gender or other box to it, because it's clearly vile, and should not exist. it's not something that is new or needs to be distinguised with any other label than the crime it is. Rape is rape. I don't care what you wear (or don't wear) it's rape. vile now, was vile 10,000 years ago, and will be vile in another 10,000. So is incest. So is beating or killing a person because their shoulder was showing. And i'll fight that if it crosses my path. But in the U.S.... very very very few people DON'T feel this way (at least not on the liberal coasts where I've spent 97% of my life).

So... I don't know. Maybe the OP would like to expand on why they started this thread. I know why I started commenting on it, but so far, I've not gotten much out of it save a few rational and a few irrational counter arguments... and that's not really anything new with this subject anyway! I still feel exactly how I did when this started, and it seems by and large... so does everyone else. Maybe some have more clarity on the issue for themselves, and that's really cool if that's the case. BUt, as for myself... I must have forgotten I've seen this movie before, and decided to rent it anyway. It's still some movie... but really no reason for me to watch it again.

I'll wait to see if there is a sequel... if so, maybe i'll watch. if not... well, onto other things.

-E

That's it I'm putting everyone in the corner for time out! You children behave!

I find this topic extremely broad and difficult to answer. This is why I think people are wandering in their replies; they don't know what to focus on.

OP asks us: What are your experiences, Americans? And how can people from supposedly the same culture have such different attitudes towards women?
OP fails to clarify what they mean about "different attitudes". What do you mean by that? Give me something more to work on and I will give you a thoughtful response. I just want to be sure I understand the topic at hand before commenting.