misogyny around the US | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

misogyny around the US

Obviously the tone I wished to convey was lost in translation, I was indirectly pointing out that your list of female dominated industries had nothing to do with the very specific point I was making. It was neither an insult, nor meant personally. I'll assume that it won't be taken in that light from here on out.

As far as the lists go... some are highly subjective as you've pointed out... and I didn't contest that they arn't. However, you are incorrectly "mass grouping" them.

The fashion designers list was not arbitrary, but I believe it was determined based on sales numbers of high fashion designers for 2010 (or was it 2011...one or the other). So... in terms of "haute coture'" - these guys make the styles that brought in the most sales for 2010 around the world. You may want to use a DIFFERENT yardstick... but the yardstick used in fact is highly objective, not subjective.

No, according to the link, it is highly subjective and there is no yardstick that I can find:

World's top 10 most popular fashion designers

When it comes to fashion, everyone has different tastes. However, these top 10 fashion designers have been adored by women all around the globe. They have proven their incredible talents and risen to the top of the fashion world. Their shows and art work speak for themselves.

The one place their artistic dresses can be found is on the Hollywood red carpet. Ralph Lauren said, "I don't design clothes. I design dreams." They are the world’s most beloved fashion designers and their dresses are most sought after by women.

There is nothing in there whatsoever about sales for 2010 or 2011. I don't know where you got that, unless you simply assumed it. Unless it is somewhere in the phrase "their shows and art work speak for themselves."

Many of the other links are similarly subjective. I'm not going through all of them but they appeared to be very subjective.

Okay, I looked at the chefs, and it cannot possibly be based on michelin stars because Jamie Oliver, who is on the list, has not received any michelin stars at all. And besides, the michelin star system is neither definitive nor unbiased. That list is another highly subjective one. Being a celebrity chef might make a person famous and influential but they are not awarded michelin stars for it, and that list may be based on something beeflike in nature, but it is not michelin stars.

The first post I made about female dominated professions you dismissed as not being able to be listed on a top-ten list -- top ten pharmacists, for example. The objective proof in that post was that they are professions where the majority of individuals are female and they are all highly-paid and highly-educated professionals -- who don't have a top ten list that I can find anyway.

So if objective proof of women being at the top of a specific profession means being able to find a top ten list online, well, no, I can't prove all that much, especially if those top ten lists are as subjective as the ones for chefs and fashion designers and artists and musicians.

But if objective proof means measuring the overall percent of women in a highly paid profession, such as pharmacist, then I thought that is what that list from Monster.com showed pretty clearly.

You don't get to be a pharmacist by messing up, because people die if you do, and the majority of pharmacists are women (over 50%), therefore a significant percentage of top-performing pharmacists must be women. Even if they don't have a top ten list. So that's what I showed already.

Last edited:
It's interesting that a thread about experiences with misogyny turned into proving which gender holds more top positions. It's funny how we can't talk about differences without taking a sharp turn into highlighting which gender is better. It's sad really. Really makes me question the motivations of people who need to insert these competitions whenever gender is discussed, no matter how much they make their words seem benevolent.

Reactions: Reon
No, according to the link, it is highly subjective and there is no yardstick that I can find:

There is nothing in there whatsoever about sales for 2010 or 2011. I don't know where you got that, unless you simply assumed it. Unless it is somewhere in the phrase "their shows and art work speak for themselves."

Many of the other links are similarly subjective. I'm not going through all of them but they appeared to be very subjective.

I'll go back over and find out where the top sales figures for the fashion was...what year exactly (I believe 2010)

and, with all due respect, if your not going to go through what I put down, and the links I included for reference, then your opinion of what is or isn't subjective or objective is completely invalid. What your really saying here is something more like "well, I don't like what I'm hearing, and I don't have the facts because I'm choosing not to do my own looking, but i'll give my opinion anyway."

I'm getting the feeling that toes have been stepped on, and rational point-for-point debate or discussion is basically taking a back seat to logical fallacies, assumptions without any attempt to provide evidence, or even just dogmatic "PC" viewpoints.

I've gone out of my way to some degree to provide a level of objective measure for my claims, and even extended that i'm open to ANYONE suggesting an alternative way to "measure" who is the "best in a particular field" As long as we can agree there is SOME objectivity, like annual sales, or number of publications, or body of evidence, etc. We all know that this isn't going to work out like a math equation.... so no hard theorems need be held up as a "standard of proof"... but i'm asking for someone to provide any equivilent list for women, and it's just not shown up yet.

But you're missing the point. No one is denying that men dominate most fields. We're just saying that that doesn't mean men are inherently more able than women. Women are often either not given the chance to perform at that level, not encouraged to attain that level as much as men are, or not recognized when they do attain that level of skill.

Sure, you can find objective means of classifying the "rank" of people within any field, but just because someone has more acclaim/makes more money, doesn't mean they're superior to all others in their field. There could be an equally or more talented person (possibly a woman) going unnoticed.

If anything, your lists only prove that men are more often rewarded for their expertise. Not whether they're actually the "best" in their field.

Well, thank you for a thoughtful, objective, rational post.

This is kind of my point too. Why then are women so universally unrecognized in every possible "emperically measurable" way? I mean, I could understand it if it was like, men top most fields, but women hold their own in a significant minority. (like, out of 50 fields, men top 35, but women top the other15) this would make sense with what I know of gender bias.

Today in the united states, women outnumber men in university education, and have also surpassed men in terms of graduation rates from college. they also are getting post grade degrees at a rate which will surpass men (if it hasnt' already) within a generation. Women run some of the worlds most successful companies, and hold political office around the world at the highest levels. The only thing a woman has yet to do in the U.S. in terms of career acheivements is become president of the U.S.

but for all this "progress", like, almost NONE of it translates over into recognition or as I suspect actual achievement at the highest level in HIGHLY MERITOCRATIC fields??? It doesn't add up.

I also agree with you though, I don't think for a moment it is a function of "men being ultimately better than women"... nothing could be further from the truth (at least, that's my belief)

My hypothesis is that men have a higher degree of a few characteristics or traits if you will, and those attributes are what makes the difference in the distribution of "top top performers"

I believe men, on the average, are more able to take a "single minded" approach to their goals. Women on the average tend to place a higher degree of importance on things like having kids, raising a family, etc.

Even women with great professional talent often "slow down" to raise a family. Men don't experience this nearly on the order that women do. maybe it's cultural... I tend to think there are darn good evolutionary reasons to explain why women will often sacrifice a career to have a kid or raise a family... just as there are darn good evolutionary reasons for women to find "self confidence" as the most attractive trait in a mate. But, this is pure speculation, as I have no evidence of this... at least not yet... (maybe i'll find some, maybe i'll take up a new hobby and research this further myself)

Also, men are, on the average, more willing to take on "risk" in all of it's forms. physical danger, financial risk, emotional and psychological risk. This is neither good nor bad. It gets us killed more often. It ruins familys, it causes bankruptcys... but for the "survivors" who end up beating the odds that they are playing against... they usually end up with a greater "reward" of sorts. Women, on the average, are usually not willing to take such risks that men will take without much of a second thought.

Some women do of course, and some survive long enough to reap the great rewards. Julia Child was mentioned earlier...and I think she is an excellent example of someone willing to take big social and personal risks in trying to do for the american culinary arts what she did. Against all odds, and all precident, an american woman decided to publish a comprehensive series of incredibly detailed books of how to cook int eh french style, and she did it on a level of excellence that many french chefs were forced to admire....

but she was willing to risk her reputation AND her ambassador husbands reputation (and to a degree, his career prospects as well)... she was willing to face rejection after rejection from publishers who wouldn't support her. she was willing to risk her time invested (which was literally years), and she was willing to risk money, as well as close personal friendships, etc. All the while knowing she was trying to do something that no one believed in execpt a very few close to her... and, that no one had done before, and that really had in the past always failed to generate any significant profits for publishers! Yet, she did it anyway.

SHE... IMO, is the exception. If you lined up 100 men and 100 women and outlined the risks that julia child would have faced to do what she did... I'm willing to bet that maybe 20-40 men would be willing to face those risks, if they felt that was something of interest for them to do. Most would fail of course...but a good amount would be willing to have a go at it.

And, if the same situation was posed to the women... I believe a singnificantly fewer amount would be willing to take such risks. Say, maybe 10-15. Most of these would also fail! but... you see where i'm going with this.... nothing ventured, nothing gained, and men are more prone to "venture" than women. If we say that 10% of the men who take the risk are successful, we end up with a number of 2-4 "rockstars". if we say that same number, 10%, of women who take the risk are sucessful, it shows that women are indeed equallly capable. but yet, we would only have maybe 1-2 female "rockstars"... because fewer women would have taken such daunting personal and professional risk in the first place.

Of course.... this would also mean that 18-36 men FAILED... and only 9-13 women FAILED.... hah! lol. in fact... that's potentially a very revealing bit of data!

but, we don't track the losers...we just see the winners. So, if i'm even partially correct.... it is true that men are overrepresented at the very top.... but then, it must also be true that men are over represented at the bottom as well! We just notice those...it's a "surviorship bias"

This risk tolerance is in part, a biological construct and is in fact evident in the way men and women select their mates. For most guys, give him a girl who is trustworthy, who he has a chemistry with, and who is "hot"... and that's all he needs to fall in love, and be willing to move toward marriage.

Women, on the other hand, are MUCH more picky. They have to be. They can't reproduce like men, and they don't want to choose a partner that will abandon them or fail to protect them...evolutionarily speaking. In this way, men are more "romantic" with their mate selction, and women are more "pragmatic". Thats why women are more likley to marry the older, ugly, but "rich" dude... where as men are more likley to marry the younger, dumber, but hotter, chick. Women are bioligically wired to consider more practical and pragmatic details when it comes to making large life changing decisions (on the average). Men, don't do this as much.

But, such pragmatic instinct also impedes embracing risk as men will so often do.

It's not that women CAN'T do it. they totally can (and, sometimes, do!) it's just that women are wired in such a way that they are more pragmatic, and more risk averse by nature than the average human male. And I believe that this is one of the biggest reasons women arn't as evenly represented at the very top of highly meritocratic vocations/avocations. But, they probably have less spectacular heart wrenching soul crushing failures. We just don't notice that part....we notice the "surviors"...not the fields that are littered with the bodies of those who failed.

Any thoughts? comments? sexist slurs?

would like to maintain this type of objective thought and commentary... maybe we'll all find something revealing here....

-E

Reactions: the
It's interesting that a thread about experiences with misogyny turned into proving which gender holds more top positions. It's funny how we can't talk about differences without taking a sharp turn into highlighting which gender is better. It's sad really. Really makes me question the motivations of people who need to insert these competitions whenever gender is discussed, no matter how much they make their words seem benevolent.

My motivation for starting such a digression from the original post was that I sincerely believe that all too often people are willing to either blame some form of ethical or moral injustice for a difference between one group and another...when sometimes, it's in fact that mentality that is "injust"... because sometimes, differences are just that... differences. Neither "better" nor "worse"

But, to some it is absolutely bigoted or blasphemous to infer that maybe SOME PART of the reason men hold the roles that they do in human societies isn't because of some predjudice, but because of some basic biological "preference"
and, equally, that SOME PART of the reason that women hold the roles that they do is also a function of biology, and not a function of injustice.

But it seems that some who have choosen to engage this subject only have a binary way of viewing it. it's either some sort of injustice that totally explains why things are the way they are, or, it's that one gender is superior than the other, and anyone who says otherwise is some radical femi-nazi.

Well, I for one am willing to challenge both views, because I believe that men and women are for the most part equally CAPABLE of fitting into one anothers shoes....I also believe there are some considerable biological differences that will tend to motivate the actions of one gender towards one direction, and another in a slightly different direction.

Think of it as biological subconcious preference... not CAPABILITY, or POTENTIAL, but, just preference

But as it turns out, a willingness to think in this non politically correct, somewhat uncertain, "middle ground, with shades of grey" is more the exception on this thread, than the rule. Because the implications are that if some of what i'm discussing here is true... then suddenly it's a lot more complex of an issue than someone just being "misogynistic", or "holding the moral high ground". it's suddenly neuanced, and threatening to more spoon fed lines of thinking. it also might be very enlightning, and even empowering to know why these realities are what they are... and how we, if we choose to, can affect that... I mean, if it turns out that the pragmatic value that women have in greater abundence than men regarding major life decisions (including mate selection).... is in fact part of the "culprit" taht decreases female representation in certain areas of life... .wouldn't it be better to know that? rather than blame some moral or cultural "evil" that may be more of a bogie man than an actual reason for the disparity of equal representation?

Contrary to popular belief, i'm not in a pissing contest here.

I'm in a "leave no stone unturned, check your baseless opinions at the door, lets try to find out the real truth behind why these things are as they are" contest.

Maybe i took a wrong turn back at albuquerque though. what I thought might be a venue for such rigorous objective exploration is really more of a venue for...well.... something else.

Why don't you tell me... did I take a wrong turn?

-E

Ah, I see what you're saying now. That's an interesting thought, that it's not the level of ability, but the willing to take risks/make personal sacrifices that makes a difference. A lot of it is hard-wired, but I think a lot of it is cultural too. If we encouraged gender parity more, we'd see more career women and homemaker dads.

It's sexist in its own way, but I have to admit, I've always resented my sex for letting the desire to be a wife and mommy get in the way of our success. There's a lot of truth to what you say; women can always have careers later in life after their kids grow up, but by that point they've usually lost their chance to make it to the "top." I realize on a rational level that women should be free to do whatever they choose, including taking on a traditional gender role, but some part of me really resents them when they freely choose to do so. :-/

At the same time, I think the fact that most fields are male-dominated as a result makes it that much harder for women who are that career driven. It's harder for them to get into the boy's club at the top. So it's a bit of both: women's predisposition to be more family and community focused, and gender bias that influences their life decisions.

Seraphim, I'd kiss you right now if I could. Forget the wife, your the bees knees! :p

Yes.... sigh. I do appreciate that you maintained an objective view of what i was getting at. And yes... a lot IS cultural! and ther is a lot of prejudicial bullshit going around.

I just don't think that is the sole factor. A you said... your sex is more willing to sacrifice career ambitions for mommy-dom.

Men just don't think like this very much. I had a friend who once said that she believed if men were to be the sex to carry a baby to term.... we would all just die out! Because once it was born, a lot of men would just look at it, blink. look around, set it down, get up and continue on their business! like "oh... wait...whaaaat?? you mean I need to take CARE of that thing now?!?"

I'm exaggerating of course, but you get the point (that makes two of us so far)...

Frankly, the thought of having kids to me is.... not even a remote consideration. There are too many things I want to do, and accomplish, and experience, and a kid would just get in the way of that.

And that's my honest feelings. My wife could go either way... but me... no. I've been against having a kid since I was in my late teens.

How many women can say the same? not many. not compared to the numbers of men who can. And no, it's not ENTIRELY cultural :)

Anyway, good looking out. and ya, i agree with your whole post above.

-E

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
Yes, this thread is American-centric. Please don't post comments about how I am self-centered, narcissistic, extravagant, want to take over the work with my remote-controlled killer drones, or whatever you guys accuse us of doing these days.

I've live in three different cities in the US. Texas is really misogynist. Chicago is much less so, and it has a lot of nice Midwesterners to boot, so +10 points. NH is okay as well.

What are your experiences, Americans? And how can people from supposedly the same culture have such different attitudes towards women?

America isn't actully much of a homogonous culture....that's how.

It's a "salad bowl" of cultures... someone from manhattan, new york would likely have more culturally in common with someone from the city state of monaco than they would with someone from the delta region in deep mississippi.

My experience is that this is a very polarizing topic for many... and that on the west coast, it's prevalence is more a function of socioeconomic class than it is region.

working class and lower class I see expressing such prejudicial views more openly, and also more sincerely.

middle class, and particularly upper middle class and upper class... it' almost non-existant from what i've seen. And if it does show up amongst that more high brow group...it is generally frowned upon as "beneath".

At least it is with the baby boomers and younger. The older generations are more prone to silently harbor more gender biased views, but they don't discuss them or express them... however they may act on them (like not hiring a woman to do a particular job, but would never say or even conciouisly admit that they passed up the more qualified candidate because they are gender biased, etc)

As far as my personal sphere of influence and engagement, it is 100% non existant. I would probably belittle anyone around me who expressed such a view in a manner that they would find highly unsettling. I't a good way to screen out people you don't want to be around or share a room with too. Find out what their irrational biases are...and then wave those biases in front of their face as infantile and ludacrise...and laugh at them a lot while doing it, so you can't even always make out the slanderous comments due to laughing at them too much.

Ya... as I said... I don't have any experience with this type of attitude in my own personal sphere of influence.

-E

Last edited:
Men arent misogynist because they allow affirmative action to prefer females just to give them a head start even though they still bleat on about THE GREAT PATRIARCY and OPPRESSION making life 'too hard'. Give us a break and take self responsibility for yourselves. Convincing yourselves is weaksauce, its about time you womened up..

Men arent misogynist because they allow affirmative action to prefer females just to give them a head start even though they still bleat on about THE GREAT PATRIARCY and OPPRESSION making life 'too hard'. Give us a break and take self responsibility for yourselves. Convincing yourselves is weaksauce, its about time you womened up..

A fucking man Jim!

So Jim... quit beating around the bush... and why don't you tell us all how you REALLY feel about this issue!

Personally, It has been a long, long time since I spent any time with people who felt this way (that "the man" has 'em down) . In fact, you've got me thinking... I wonder....So, I would like to hear a personal story from any woman here about a time or experience in their life that gender bias made a meaningful and negative impact on their aspirations.

It doesn't even have to be "verifiable" exactly... just I want to hear a real story or two about a specific instance when sexism in some way had a direct and negative impact on your life.

Also, if you don't mind, let us know what year it was (I feel this is relevent to note), and how exactly you responded to it.

I really want to strip this down naked, and find out what the deal is. I suppose my motivation is that women were always the "role models" in my family...and it's structured somewhat as a matriarchy. So it's just so foreign to me to think of how such small minded outlooks would even be able to effectively prevent a person from doing what they are set on doing.

Hope to hear a experience or two.... I want to see just how sharp the teeth in this monster really are...

-E

Indeed, I have a typical matriarchal scottish family where the women dictate the social circle whilst working and the men have no say and are told to work and die. Frankly I dont take the bleating very seriously regarding this issue. In the op we are told that strong women are oppressed then later weak women. All the while we accept incredulous disparity in the legal organisation of the state which has exactly the opposite impact...

Perhaps I can lend a few pneumatic drills to help people penetrate the bedrock whilst digging this same old hole?

An alternative might be that we should modify expectations as simply put, people generally are not that nice and are generally opportunist. Gender has little to with the problems of individual choice and individual opportunism.

Last edited:
[MENTION=933]Seraphim[/MENTION]

I don't think I agree with your pov.
I don't see that in my part of the world at all. In fact, most of my bosses are very capable and powerful women. I'm pretty sure I'll work the rest of my life and never get to their level in any company.
But I also live by NY. Maybe things are different here.

As far as artists, I think the people will judge and I just don't buy that people would care. If you love the art, you love the artist. Women or man. But this is what I see. Back wood Texas, well they have the inbreeding thing going on, so they're years and generations of evolutionary advancement behind.
Just try to ignore them.

I'll go back over and find out where the top sales figures for the fashion was...what year exactly (I believe 2010)

and, with all due respect, if your not going to go through what I put down, and the links I included for reference, then your opinion of what is or isn't subjective or objective is completely invalid. What your really saying here is something more like "well, I don't like what I'm hearing, and I don't have the facts because I'm choosing not to do my own looking, but i'll give my opinion anyway.".

I did go through your links, and no, my opinion of what is objective and what is subjective is not at all invalid, thank you. Objective and subjective criteria are defined terms that are not my opinion. I looked and could not find objective, measureable criteria in most of your lists. Some of them had objective measures, most of them didn't.

I'm getting the feeling that toes have been stepped on, and rational point-for-point debate or discussion is basically taking a back seat to logical fallacies, assumptions without any attempt to provide evidence, or even just dogmatic "PC" viewpoints.
No, you're the one with logical fallacies, you did not provide evidence, just opinions, mostly.
I did provide evidence, in a list of female-dominated professions and you dismissed it and then said I didn't make any attempt to provide evidence.

I've gone out of my way to some degree to provide a level of objective measure for my claims, and even extended that i'm open to ANYONE suggesting an alternative way to "measure" who is the "best in a particular field" As long as we can agree there is SOME objectivity, like annual sales, or number of publications, or body of evidence, etc. We all know that this isn't going to work out like a math equation.... so no hard theorems need be held up as a "standard of proof"... but i'm asking for someone to provide any equivilent list for women, and it's just not shown up yet.

My whole point is you did not provide much in the way of objectivity. You just said you did. Saying you did does not equal actually doing it. I already did suggest an alternative way to measure success by gender in particular fields -- you can easily measure the number of female pharmacists in the world, and since all pharmacists must be top-performing or else out of a job, it is only logical to determine that top-performing pharmacists are weighted toward female. That's an objective measure and I already provided it. I just couldn't find top-ten lists, which seem to be mostly BS anyway.

You just keep saying repeatedly that men are the best in all measureable fields, and that is not correct. And you're not providing much objectivity either, which is my whole point.

BTW, I also come from a household with fairly strong competitive women, (my mother) who made no excuses for her gender and was sucessful in a male-dominated field decades ago in a very poor region with a nearly complete lack of female role models. It's actually amazing to me to this day to think what she achieved -- half her relatives were drunk chain smokers on welfare and were married/having babies at 13, but not her.

I'm not nearly as outgoing as her, and I'd gladly sacrifice career success for my family if needed, but I am not unsucessful myself. Early in my career I used to routinely work all-night shifts as a temporary (contract) employee just to get experience because I was desperate for a job, all the while getting various body parts grabbed by male co-workers. I remember having my "hotness" routinely discussed in front of me by people I had hired to do work for me -- my employees! -- between them and a co-worker of mine. I also remember getting called a bitch one time when I requested 3 quotes for service (which I always do) and when rejecting the highest one, which was like twice as much as the next one, was told I was a bitch. I think he was disappointed I didn't pay more and thought I should have. Oh, yes, and was once specifically told that I was not suitable for a job I was applying for due to my gender. Oh -- and I forgot, once when I was an unpaid intern a co-worker thought it would be funny to offer me a plate of "hot jizm" at the office party -- same guy who tried to get me to make prank phone calls to customers.

Thank goodness the horrid awful PC craze hit, and there is more flexibility in most workplaces, and much more litigation, and I work in a completely different environment now. I had no idea at the time how to negotiate, compete, or stick up for myself -- no idea whatsoever -- but I definitely learned the hard way -- all the while the workplace was changing.

So I learned long ago to stick up for myself. I sincerely hope to encourage other people who may be reading this and are being told they are naturally low-achievers due to their gender, or their race, or if they have some disability, or who are somehow belittled for being strong and sticking up for themselves, not to swallow that nonsense. It's poison. And if you think you have to be weak to attract a loving husband/partner that is not true either, and you will just wind up with the wrong man if you are afraid to achieve because you are afraid a man won't like it.

Last edited:
Reading through this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if people know that the word "misogyny" traditionally means the HATRED of women.

haha, I was watching House last night and he said:

"Your evolutionary purpose is to arouse men, not castrate them!"

Indeed!

But also remember as men it is our evolutionary purpose to arouse women!

Nature is a harsh ?mistress?

Well, this isn't always an "abusive" behavior pattern. It very well can be of course! but, it's not hte exclusive domain of abusers. Think of a "super competitive guy who sees overcoming a strong or very direct woman as a challenge"

I don't get it either. It's not about fucking winning.

I know guys like this, and it's obnoxious as hell.

He just loved to find out what made a girl "tick", and then loved exploring that at his whim.

Meh, some player types can be kinda shallow about this. I've noticed that it becomes sometimes more about knee-jerk responses, and less about deep-seated needs.

I mean, I know what you're saying, but, just... no...

Dear Alice, I think you will find that in our modern culture where people move around a lot, if someone is going to be misogynist he can live wherever he wants and be misogynist in that location as well as in any other. I don't think they are all concentrated in one state or region these days. And yes, people from the same culture can have completely different attitudes toward women, and everything else for that matter.

Meh, too postmodern.

No, every time I move, it smacks me in the face like a wet towel. Sure, there are dickheads everywhere, but you get more of the woman-hating variety in the deep, deep South.

because every single time I've gotten a flat a man always pulls over and does it for me, so you could hardly call that misogynist, could you.

What?

I hate how people want to highlight misogyny, and completely ignore mens issues. Its as if women were born weak and need the world to constanty remind us of it.

I hate how people want to highlight misogyny, and completely ignore mens issues. Its as if women were born weak and need the world to constanty remind us of it.

Well, to be totally fair, this is a misogyny based thread. I suppose one could start a "sexism and other denegrating behaviors aimed at men" thread, but that thread doesn't ever get started, because no man is actually pussy enough to start it :p

But on a serious note, I totally hear your point, and that's along the same lines as some of the issues i've tried to raise here. For some reason, there are certain social issues, dysfunctions, and cultural constructs that are elevated to a nearly "sacred, untouchable" plane of existance. These issues are expected to be agreed on almost universally, they are the ones most approved of as "the REAL problems that we NEED to talk about", they are absoultely the most visible, and consequently get an inappropriate amount of attention. You always can tell them apart from the rest too, because when they are brought up, it never fails that someone will say "and it's THIS ISSUE that just isn't getting the attention it deserves".

No, the issue not getting the attention it deserves is likley one that we're NOT paying attention to.

The issue that is likley getting more attention than is necessary is the one where we have now evolved very particular "unwritten rules" that you and I both somehow understand, and are abiding by in order to be able to discuss this in a way that is socially acceptable and non-offensive.

Yea... when a social issue or dysfunction has developed it's own disctinct ettiquite that must be adhered to in order to discuss it???? Ya, we can probably put that one back on the shelf for now... it looks like we've pretty much covered it all.

I'm gonna cut it off here, and not further this line of thinking, because it really isn't on topic per se to this thread...and I'm not gonna hijack it more than this post will. However, you've got a point. Fact is, everyone suffers from some sort of discrimination at some point in their lives. I once had a beer bottle broken over my head as I walked down a sidewalk in a nearby city. Why? because I was white. True story. I know because he was screaming in spanish words like "gringo/blanco/puto-gringo-americano" etc... I also saw the way he looked at me as I struggled to process what just happened and why my vision was blurry and why my hair was suddenly soaked in blood. He looked at me as if I absoutly disgusted him. It was racially motivated, for sure... and all because I took the wrong shortcut through the wrong neighborhood that day.

But, funny, to this day I don't identify that as an act of racial violence. I identify it as a drunken assualt and battery. it was one seriously fucked up nutjob, and me. it wasn't a mexican against an american, or a brown skin against a white skin, etc.

it was just a nutjob, and me.

Anyway, back to the equality or lackthereof (i'm really not sure at this point) of the sexes.

-E