Retired Staff
Nov 17, 2008
MBTI
iNfj
Enneagram
9w1
In the past few weeks I've started hearing all about

Reactions: sassafras
Yes, and I say we need to dissect the brains of deceased ISTJ's to see if they have them. If they do, they have no longer any excuse for not letting us hug them anymore, lol.

Yes they are very cool. I believe they also explain rapport. You know when you're sat on your sofa with a few friends and you're all sat forward. Then one of you sits back and suddenly you get the urge to sit back too.

People like people who are like them so in a group of friends you're probably all going to want to be in a similar state emotionally/mentally and body position is a big factor in determining state. If your mirror neurons tell you that you are the odd one out and that all your friends are in rapport and you're not then you will get the urge join them

Same with people who don't like each other. Your mirror neurons probably will identify the state of your adversary and this will cause you to want to be in a different state to that person.

There is a book that covers this subject in depth, which I am looking forward to reading, just thought I would share.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mirroring-People-Science-Empathy-Connect/dp/0312428383/ref=pd_sim_b_37"]Amazon.com: Mirroring People: The Science of Empathy and How We Connect with Others (9780312428389): Marco Iacoboni: Books[/ame]

Mirror neurons are not very recent discoveries. They are cool nonetheless.

If I recall correctly, it might also provide some insight in to Allan Hobson's 'dress rehearsal' theory concerning dreams and why it is that we dream in the first place. It might also give us more scientific basis for why visualization paired with goal planning works so well.

Awesome post, NV! Very interesting.

Interesting yes, but it's still only a theory that they're responsible for empathy or that a dysfunction of them will cause cognitive disorders such as autism. I find it really interesting though that human beings aren't the only ones with them; in terms of how we experience the world, I'm betting it's not entirely different from how certain animals do (like primates), which makes sense given our convergent genetic history.

Last edited: