Merkabah | Page 385 | INFJ Forum
Just want to give everyone a quick friendly reminder, that YOU are not your feelings or reactions.
For example, the chronic pain I feel daily creates anxiety when I should have none...if I let myself get lost in the anxiety I am missing the primary source of suffering and only seeing the secondary symptoms of it and worsening the anxiety by not addressing the true reason.
It’s amazing how much it can help to tell myself - this anxiety is caused by my pain.
It can cause a really great perspective change and nix the anxiety with the realization that it’s only a symptom of the pain and nothing more.
This can be the same for those with PTSD, depression, etc.
With suffering we tend to focus on the emotions and feelings pain or suffering create more than the actual source.
Many times, because that source is out of one’s control, or at least that is their perception.
I find it personally helpful to remind myself when my thoughts start to get amped up about nothing...not to sit in the anxiety...to realize it as a signal, as a physical and neurochemical reaction to the primary stressor.
It depersonalizes it and thus takes away it’s fuel source somewhat.
Much love and good luck!

Primary and secondary suffering

The first thing is to learn to distinguish between primary and secondary suffering.

Primary suffering is any unpleasant physical sensations you may experience as a consequence of illness, injury, fatigue etc.

You may not be able to do anything about this level of suffering and the task is to accept it and make peace with it as best you can.

Secondary suffering is the human anguish we all experience as a reaction to primary suffering: feelings like anger, fear, depression, anxiety and despair that we instinctively pile on top of any unpleasant sensation or event in a dense web of reactivity.

With mindfulness, or awareness, we can learn to modify and reduce these experiences of secondary suffering.
This can greatly improve our quality of life, even if the primary suffering remains unchanged, or even worsens.

Last edited:

b57b494461e3484adff4e599ef14f6df.jpg

This, by the way, is the coolest thing ever.

May I use it as an avatar at some point? And do you know the artist, Skare?

This thread is always interesting :hearteyes: Thanksies

This, by the way, is the coolest thing ever.

May I use it as an avatar at some point? And do you know the artist, Skare?

Thank you both!
And yes, anyone is welcome to take any pictures from my thread, I don’t care.
I am not sure who the artist is, but I am pretty sure I can find out for you.
Much love!

control.jpg

mental.jpg

date.jpg

Gotta try what the cool kids are trying I see...lmao.
JK
Not sure I want to be a Generator.
I would rather be a sofa.
;)
Lmao yes I wanted to see what the cool kids were trying :D
Generator seems cooler than a sofa ;)

That's a good one. I also suggest that first date question: "Do you know that if you take death into your life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, you will free yourself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life? And that only then will you be free to become yourself?"

A good way to make sure they've read Heidegger, you know. :D

Lmao yes I wanted to see what the cool kids were trying :D
Generator seems cooler than a sofa ;)

We got the same profile numbers 5/1.
Interesting!
Thanks again @Sandie33 !

That's a good one. I also suggest that first date question: "Do you know that if you take death into your life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, you will free yourself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life? And that only then will you be free to become yourself?"

A good way to make sure they've read Heidegger, you know. :D

But of course!
lol
We all have our priorities.
:smile:

dream.jpg

“Don’t think of him as a seeker...
Whatever he is looking for, he is that himself.”

~Rumi

“Don’t die with that holy ruby mine inside still unclaimed.”

~ Hafiz

“If you would be a real seeker after truth,
it is necessary that at least once in your life,
you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

~ Rene Descartes

44882050_2006087162790143_5871082266268008448_n.jpg

"According to a legend, the Truth and the Lie meet one day.
The Lie says to the Truth: "It's a marvellous day today”!
The Truth looks up to the skies and sighs, for the day was really beautiful.
They spend a lot of time together, ultimately arriving beside a well.
The Lie tells the Truth: "The water is very nice, let's take a bath together!"
The Truth, once again suspicious, tests the water and discovers that it indeed is very nice.
They undress and start bathing.
Suddenly, the Lie comes out of the water, puts on the clothes of the Truth and runs away.
The furious Truth comes out of the well and runs everywhere to find the Lie and to get her clothes back.
The World, seeing the Truth naked, turns its gaze away, with contempt and rage.
The poor Truth returns to the well and disappears forever, hiding therein, its shame.
Since then, the Lie travels around the world, dressed as the Truth, satisfying the needs of society,
because, the World, in any case, harbours no wish at all to meet the naked Truth."

The world famous painting- "The Truth coming out of the well" Jean-Léon Gérôme, 1896.

45015768_10218179821669291_2122027578700070912_n.jpg

"We are the Cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the Universe understands Itself."

~ Brian Cox

45015768_10218179821669291_2122027578700070912_n.jpg

"We are the Cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the Universe understands Itself."

~ Brian Cox

Ooooooo I like dis!

Hmmmmm?
Maybe?
Are you?

Are you a Boltzmann Brain?
Why nothing in the Universe may be real
A mind-bending paradox questions the nature of reality.

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 9.24.43 PM.png

Boltzmann Brains are hypothetical disembodied entities with self-awareness.

It may be more likely for a Boltzmann Brain to come into existence than the whole Universe.

The idea highlights a paradox in thermodynamics.

The paradox of the Boltzmann Brain can really pull the rug from under you if you follow it to all of its logical and illogical extents.
This mind-churning idea proposes that the world is quite possibly just an effect of your disembodied consciousness and doesn't really exist.

And your sense of self is just a statistical fluctuation.
It's something that is more likely to come into existence by chance than the Universe that would have had to produce it.

So are you really a Boltzmann Brain?
Let's look at the underlying thinking.

Our Universe is extremely vast and complex, still filled with as much of the unimaginable as what we have already figured out.
It has laws like an arrow of time that seems to be flowing only in one direction.

It's got planetary bodies of various shapes and sizes.
It also has us, humans, nature's supreme creations (at least according to us).

But all this amazing amount of varied matter is also very hard to pull off, requiring a tremendous amount of energy.
We know that generally things tend to fall apart and decay.

What the influential Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann (1844-1906), one of the founders of the field of thermodynamics, hypothesized is that while the entropy of a system (its measure of disorder) always increases (moving towards disorder), there is some tiny possibility that a fluctuation can bring a system from disorder to order.

Thus it would decrease its entropy, moving it further away from equilibrium.

980x.jpg

Ludwig Boltzmann. 1901

From the physicist's work it follows that it would be more likely for random quantum fluctuations in nature to create something simpler than our astounding Universe – for example, a self-aware entity that believes it is a person in a world full of people, history, and particular physics.

But such a person - let's say you - is only full of all the knowledge and experiences because you are made that way by the fluctuation that created you. There is nothing really there but your self-awareness.

These types of entities have been dubbed "Boltzmann Brains" by modern physicists Andreas Albrecht and Lorenzo Sorbo.
They did not claim to such brains really being in existence but rather used the idea to point out the absurdities and limitations of taking the idea of thermodynamic fluctuations to their extent.

Boltzmann Brains have also been criticized as philosophical paradoxes that are experientially unprovable.
The Caltech theoretical physicist Sean Caroll called them "cognitively unstable: they cannot simultaneously be true and justifiably believed" in his 2017 paper "Why Boltzmann Brains Are Bad."

Debates of the idea persist, however, especially as it is hard to disprove.
After all, if you were a Boltzmann Brain, everything that you could come up with to prove or disprove it would likely be because of the hallucinations your consciousness is having.

Other types of solipsistic thinking have also entered our culture.
Case in point - the notion that we may be living in a simulated reality, propagated by luminaries like Elon Musk and Neil deGrasse Tyson.