MBTI really butchered Jung's actual ideas. | INFJ Forum

MBTI really butchered Jung's actual ideas.

TaylorS

Community Member
May 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
I've been slogging through Jung's works lately, as well as reading through some essays on the Personality Nation Forums, and it seems that Jung implies that one cannot be an empiricist and still be an N, and Jung himself said that he is a "Introverted Thinking with Sensation" type, an ISTP.

Oh, and this is interesting.

Considering I haven't really spoken much about Analytical Psychology for a while (as I'm writing a really massive article atm), I thought I would at least give a bit of hint of flavor on what the Types are like. These are the types I've found throughout Jung's various books in where he would provide small examples of those who would provide basis for certain functions. There are also examples found in the works of his close students and assistants. I will not be writing up a profile until much, much later.

For now, you can just google/research these guys to give you an idea of what Jung had in mind for definitions of the functions when he developed the Function-Types. (I highly recommend you do this since it will give you an idea from real people examples)

ET(N) - Speculative Thinkers

Thinkers who create facts through ideas and possibilities.

Sir James Jeans
Sir Fred Hoyle
Niels Bohr
Ernst Mach
Enrico Fermi

---
ET(S) - Empirical Thinkers

Thinkers who create facts through empirical, observable information.

Charles Darwin
Antoine Lavoisier
Ernst Haeckel
David Hume
Karl Popper
Sigmund Freud
(Jung spoke greatly about Freud in his autobiography which seems to depict him of Extraverted Thinking + Sensation type as Jung greatly described his shadow as what seems to be Introverted Feeling + Intuition nature.)

---
EF(N) - Speculative Feelers

Feelers who uphold their values through visions and possibilities.

Karl Marx
Max Weber

Reactions: grt$5vb
Actually, Personality Nation really butchers Jung's actual ideas.

Try reading Jung's Psychological Types instead of their stuff.

There's a great version of it here:

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

And a great introduction to Jung's works is this book:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0691029350/?tag=infjs-20

I've taken many classes at the Jung Institute and that is the introductory book that they use. It has excerpts from all his works (even supposed unpublished ones). It's very easy to read as well since there are footnotes to explain outdated psychology or vocabulary terms.

He can be very addicting if you're into symbolism. Especially his work on the alchemy and his red book... they're fantastic.

Last edited:
Don’t mind her Taylor.

I believe Bionic has a hard on for me and I am completely flattered!

Glad you liked Yukawa’s mini article. I hope it entices you to pick up a few bits of the Collected Works and see for yourself.

A lot of “Ni doms” are “Si doms” and when more start showing up everyone will see how great Introverted Sensors are. Especially if you see that Jung’s pupil, Meier, categorizes Hitler as an Ni dom overwhelmed by Se.

Also, that doesn’t mean Si doms are void of Intuition. I hope you continue learning!

- Evil Overload of PersonalityNation

No one has a hard on for your proverbial vomit.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
wow. someone typed Christ. wow.

My proverbial vomit MUST be full of fat, because you look as though you enjoyed it.

fat-heart.jpg

wow. someone typed Christ. wow.

I can’t recall the exact reasons for why he’s considered Ni, but I believe it had to do with explaining the concept of Ni.

[mods]Please keep it civil and stay on topic folks.[/mods]

Reactions: Sensiko
Carl Jung was just a man, Ideas change, grow and innovate with new input from different sources.

I wouldn't trust anything anyone published through Personality Nation.

Personality Nation is not and will never be an authority on personality! More like a laughing stock.

Reactions: bionic
MBTI is derivative but it is not contrary to what people tend to think the practical limits of analytical psychology are.

If I have learned one thing on this forum it is , almost no one is interested in Depth Psychology.

Reactions: bionic
But they didn't type God! I guess he must be all types. lol

Actually in "Answer to Job" Jung does a really nice job of psycho analyzing the Bibi cal God.

Actually in "Answer to Job" Jung does a really nice job of psycho analyzing the Bibi cal God.

Haha yeah... I meant in reference to Pern's typing of God in that sentence.

Jung didn't really give God a definitive type. It was a great read though. I like how he analyzed Yaweh's rise to high consciousness by incorporating and implying that it was the consequence of atonement through incarnation. It was also pretty thought provoking when Jung suggested that God could only evolve out of our amoral unconscious through an encounter with a person that has inflexible integrity. My professor read a few excerpts from Answer to Job and one of the Christians in our group stood up and had an anger fit once because of it. So even 'till this day, it seems to be emotionally affecting others.

.....one of the Christians stood up and had an anger fit .

Not surprised by by that

I found it to be the most compelling argument for Christ and Christianity that I have ever read.

Not surprised by by that

I found it to be the most compelling argument for Christ and Christianity that I have ever read.

Yes, me too! It really shakes up your perceptions and makes you questions that validity of what is and what is not.

Oh good, so much to read, and keep me awake today. :)

Reactions: hush
Upon consideration:

MBTI did not really butcher Jung's actual ideas...

MBTI had a viewpoint on what Jung's ideas meant in certain areas because it was designed to try to explain behaviour types. Of course this means that the answer precludes the analysis and it is somewhat of a fudge.

PersonalityNation decided that the best way to create traffic on the web is to point at others in a crowd and shout, in this case about the 'evils of MBTI vs Jung'.

Therefore PersonalityNation really butchered the principles relating MBTI to Jung without offering any sort of legit reporting balance; such as the tenous repeatability of Jungian theory never mind the fact that if you can't observe the behaviour and offer a causation link it then how can you prove it? It is somewhat like reading a state press in favour of Jung above all else.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Upon consideration:

MBTI did not really butcher Jung's actual ideas...

MBTI had a viewpoint on what Jung's ideas meant in certain areas because it was designed to try to explain behaviour types. Of course this means that the answer precludes the analysis and it is somewhat of a fudge.

PersonalityNation decided that the best way to create traffic on the web is to point at others in a crowd and shout, in this case about the 'evils of MBTI vs Jung'.

Therefore PersonalityNation really butchered the principles relating MBTI to Jung without offering any sort of legit reporting balance; such as the tenous repeatability of Jungian theory never mind the fact that if you can't observe the behaviour and offer a causation link it then how can you prove it? It is somewhat like reading a state press in favour of Jung above all else.

Of course That's what Limit knows how to do. Drive people toward his website, by preaching a new system. That doesn't have backing. All while the staff are fine with it. Its not wise to spread misinformation. Frankly the idea personality is already murky enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: InvisibleJim