MBTI Preaching to the converted? | INFJ Forum

MBTI Preaching to the converted?

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
So I've been thinking that the types that tend to be interested in MBTI are usually the ones that are in the least need of it. MBTI can be an excellent tool for understanding others and appreciating diversity amongst people, the types that need to understand that each type has their own value and should be appreciated for that are the least likely to have an interest in this sort of stuff.

http://www.typelogic.com/estj.html

ESTJs have an acute sense for orthodoxy. Much of their evaluation of persons and activities reflects their strong sense of what is "normal" and what isn't. ESTJ humor is frequently centered around something or someone being off center or behaving abnormally.

ESTJs should be mandatorily (is that a word) taught about the positive strengths of every type, who knows what widespread psychological damage ESTJs and similar types are doing with the attitudes described in the above quote.

Aren't ESTJ's the most common type in the world? It would explain a few things, as the descriptions of ESTJ's seem so perfectly "normal."

Also describes why the US works the way it does.

I could have told you that :tounge1:

My dad is an ESTJ, and think's this stuff is a waste. hahahahaha.

Hmmm I've never really seen anything positive be written about ESTJs in this forum.

Maybe my dad is just an anomaly. He is an ESTJ...and a wonderful one at that.

The ESTJ is outspoken, a person of principles, which are readily expressed. The ESTJ is not afraid to stand up for what she believes is right even in the face of overwhelming odds. ESTJs are able to make the tough calls.

That pretty much sums my dad up. He is a principled man, who puts much emphasis on justice, equality and embracing one another regardless of race, religion or background.

He spent five years working in Skid Row, where he was also part of a Catholic monastery. While there, they all looked into MBTI. He thinks highly of MBTI, and it allowed for him to account for why he felt like he didn't "fit in" in the monastery...with 25 other men who were all INFPs.

Hmmm I've never really seen anything positive be written about ESTJs in this forum.

Maybe my dad is just an anomaly. He is an ESTJ...and a wonderful one at that.

Hehe we take the healthy ones for granted, I suppose they get a bad wrap because the unhealthy ones can be so outspoken, in-your-face and influential.

ah very true Quinlan.

I just remembered that one of my favourite teachers at school took the test and also came out ESTJ. So I guess I've been very lucky in that both ESTJs I know are terrific people :)

the thing is...MBTI is probably more appealing or of interest to intuitive types (i could be wrong) as the S types i've come across don't seem to place great consideration on its validity

My brother is an ESTJ. He took a mild (actually, barely there) interest in MBTI.. He's hilarious. His jokes are usually impersonations and sketches of theoretical situations in which someone is acting off-color. His girlfriend is ESTJ, too.. And it seems her type of humor is similiar, only she will purposely act off-color to a complete stranger just to get a reaction.. and then return to being prissy and conventional around people she knows. They's weird folk.

Actually, that's a stereotype associated with Si, and consequently SJs (because all SJs use Si either first or second). Si is used for remembering how things were, and if anything is different, or in other words, whether things are "normal" or as they always were. So it doesn't seem too unlikely that their humor typically revolves around things being different than they usually are, because their Si picks up on that kind of stuff right away. My ESFJ (she tested herself for school and said it was accurate, so I know she's one) friend usually laughs at a lot of jokes about people not acting "as they should." It can be a bit annoying, since I dislike those type of jokes, but I guess that's just how she is.

I like ESTJ's, but I am fascinated with TJ's in general. But, once more, we like people, don't types...

So I've been thinking that the types that tend to be interested in MBTI are usually the ones that are in the least need of it. MBTI can be an excellent tool for understanding others and appreciating diversity amongst people, the types that need to understand that each type has their own value and should be appreciated for that are the least likely to have an interest in this sort of stuff.

You are right.
It's also interesting (I've already said that somewhere) that N's are more intersted in taking test than S's (at least it works for N's an S's that I know).