MBTI and Evolution: INFJs need to reproduce more | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

MBTI and Evolution: INFJs need to reproduce more

I think a well functioning society needs more of certain type than of others. If the population was 50% INFJ.. ugh just imagine

Yeah! Who would fix our cars?

Orion said:
I disagree. Want makes you think that anyway?

Some children are born with strong preferences to certain functions. Simple as that. I know I was an Ni dominant child from the get go because of analysis of my behaviour and my knowledge of the differences between Si and Ni.

Just as some children are born with middle of the road attitude to different preferences, in which case, they would develop slowly into their preferred type as the years went by (but I don't think it's as late as 13, though again, it's different for everyone).

Obviously there's no sudden enlightenment at thirteen, but it takes a while for everyone to develop their personality. Certain attributes a clear at a young age, but other things, like E vs I, take a while to solidify. (It seems to me that, up until kids are 10 or so, they all exhibit extraverted characteristics because they are pressured to do so by society. My dad once expressed concern to my counselor that I wasn't visiting my friends enough. Nonetheless we are both strong introverts.) [MENTION=1378]Orion[/MENTION]

To the OP, I have another though. An INFJ dominated society would be just an endless Ni Ti loop. As opposed to the current Te Ne loop.

To be honest, I know more rl INFJ's than ESTJ's.

Obviously there's no sudden enlightenment at thirteen, but it takes a while for everyone to develop their personality. Certain attributes a clear at a young age, but other things, like E vs I, take a while to solidify. (It seems to me that, up until kids are 10 or so, they all exhibit extraverted characteristics because they are pressured to do so by society. My dad once expressed concern to my counselor that I wasn't visiting my friends enough. Nonetheless we are both strong introverts.) [MENTION=1378]Orion[/MENTION]

To the OP, I have another though. An INFJ dominated society would be just an endless Ni Ti loop. As opposed to the current Te Ne loop.

When I was a child, My ENTP was Obvious. I have evidence even. I think ENTP children are obvious, because we're weird and brilliant, and we want everyone to know. We do crazy off the wall things, and everyone gives us the stink EYE. Trust me, I've been my anarchist entpness since I was 5, By age 8, I was questioning my church officials, the bible, and why no one else could see American Imperialism.

My dad and mom are BOTH ESFJs.
My two brothers are ENTP/ESFJ.
My sister is just plain crazy, I'm thinking ENFP, but she's definitely histrionic...Maybe borderline? She's kind of narcissistic too...

I think all ENTP children are obvious... and there is nothing in my childhood that would shape me this way, My parents were very impartial, didn't teach me anything particularly, or force me to do anything. Going to church was my choice, and I stopped by age 9.

I think it may be from birth, but genetic would be kind of hard to prove :p

To be honest, I know more rl INFJ's than ESTJ's.

Me too, actually. I think that depends a lot on frequented haunts, activities, etc. If you're around academia, you'll see more N types, and if you're on a sports team, you'll meet more S's. I generally don't care to hang around a lot of SJ types, so I don't know many.

Which is another reason why I don't trust the stats. I mean, how they tested everything would determine a lot.

When I was a child, My ENTP was Obvious. I have evidence even. I think ENTP children are obvious, because we're weird and brilliant, and we want everyone to know. We do crazy off the wall things, and everyone gives us the stink EYE. Trust me, I've been my anarchist entpness since I was 5, By age 8, I was questioning my church officials, the bible, and why no one else could see American Imperialism.

My dad and mom are BOTH ESFJs.
My two brothers are ENTP/ESFJ.
My sister is just plain crazy, I'm thinking ENFP, but she's definitely histrionic...Maybe borderline? She's kind of narcissistic too...

I think all ENTP children are obvious... and there is nothing in my childhood that would shape me this way, My parents were very impartial, didn't teach me anything particularly, or force me to do anything. Going to church was my choice, and I stopped by age 9.

I think it may be from birth, but genetic would be kind of hard to prove :p
True but I think all kids do this.

FORGET MBTI - IF WE ACT NOW, IN NINETY GENERATIONS WE MIGHT PRODUCE THE KWISATZ HADERACH!!!! KEEP THE BLOODLINE PURE!

Forget MBTI, it's all about JCF. Saying JCF is not scientific is really redundant because anyone who goes into Jung's theory of type should go into it aware of that context. Plus, strides in brain scanning and neuroscience have consistently reported correlations between jung's cog' functions and how the brain actually works. Jung was ahead of his time, and still is.

Do you know of articles on the web or even books that talk about this? I would love to read them.

--

apart from that, I too think that types are largely genetic. I definitely did not act in an extraverted fashion as a child. And when I look back on how I reacted and adapted to my environment, it really screams Ni via uncontrolled Fe (it was not very nice :D)

We are five children in my family, two of us INFJs. Both our parents are SFJs, but there are Ns in their families.

My family of origin:

INFJ (female) X IXTJ (m)
INTP (f)
INFP (m)
INFJ (f)

My current family & kids:

INFJ (f) X IXTJ (m)
INFJ (f)

INFJ (f) X ESFJ (m)
??FJ (m) - too young to determine.. but I bet that ES are dominant so he'll turn out ESFJ

Do you know of articles on the web or even books that talk about this? I would love to read them.

--

apart from that, I too think that types are largely genetic. I definitely did not act in an extraverted fashion as a child. And when I look back on how I reacted and adapted to my environment, it really screams Ni via uncontrolled Fe (it was not very nice :D)

We are five children in my family, two of us INFJs. Both our parents are SFJs, but there are Ns in their families.

[MENTION=115]Shaz[/MENTION] look into fMRI studies and "cognitive neuroscience", it's fascinating, Jung was more accurate than I expected when looking into such things. Even if imo the preferences are not as strong as he made them out to be.

Here is the percentage of INFJs in the population:

INFJ Population
Total: 1%
Male: 0.5%
Female: 1.5%
Source: http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=13957

It's generally well-known amongst INFJ's that we are the rarest of all MBTI types. Most of us consider this a point of pride and lament that there's not enough INFJs. This may be true, but did anyone wonder why this came to be?

According to evolution, it may be because INFJs suck at reproducing. Or to be more specific, our INFJ male descendants were less successful than other types at impregnating large amounts of women. This is the conclusion I came to after reading this talk from the American Psychological Association.

http://www.psy.fsu.edu/~baumeistertice/goodaboutmen.htm

(It's important to read this talk to get a full understanding of this issue.)

In contrast, ESTJs are the most prevalent type in the population:

ESTJ Population
Total: 13%
Male: 16%
Female: 10%

ESTJs are natural leaders, and their presence is overwhelming in corporate and executive leadership positions when compared to other personality types. In the ancient world, ESTJs may have been leaders of a tribal clan, an exploration expedition, a commander of a warband...all which would have led to more reproductive opportunities for a male.

Assuming there is a relevant genetic component to personality type, does this theory make sense at all? And I'm not even considering other unquantifiable factors that would lead to decreased INFJ reproductive success, like our general tendencies towards altruism and martyrism, our obsession with finding our one "soulmate" (as opposed to multiple sexual relations), etc.

And if genetics and "survival of the fittest" isn't valid, what other possibilities could cause this population skew? If all things were equal, each personality would be divided evenly, right?

Haha, yeah. Well, I have five children and only one is a possible INFJ. The others are ISFJ, ISTJ, ENFP and the last one is too young but definitely an EF.
I'm an INFJ and my husband is an INTP. Neither of my parents are an INFJ.

I do think there is so merit to the evolutionary process not being in our favor because