Enneagram
5, 6, 9
Here is the percentage of INFJs in the population:

INFJ Population
Total: 1%
Male: 0.5%
Female: 1.5%
Source: http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=13957

It's generally well-known amongst INFJ's that we are the rarest of all MBTI types. Most of us consider this a point of pride and lament that there's not enough INFJs. This may be true, but did anyone wonder why this came to be?

According to evolution, it may be because INFJs suck at reproducing. Or to be more specific, our INFJ male descendants were less successful than other types at impregnating large amounts of women. This is the conclusion I came to after reading this talk from the American Psychological Association.

http://www.psy.fsu.edu/~baumeistertice/goodaboutmen.htm

(It's important to read this talk to get a full understanding of this issue.)

In contrast, ESTJs are the most prevalent type in the population:

ESTJ Population
Total: 13%
Male: 16%
Female: 10%

ESTJs are natural leaders, and their presence is overwhelming in corporate and executive leadership positions when compared to other personality types. In the ancient world, ESTJs may have been leaders of a tribal clan, an exploration expedition, a commander of a warband...all which would have led to more reproductive opportunities for a male.

Assuming there is a relevant genetic component to personality type, does this theory make sense at all? And I'm not even considering other unquantifiable factors that would lead to decreased INFJ reproductive success, like our general tendencies towards altruism and martyrism, our obsession with finding our one "soulmate" (as opposed to multiple sexual relations), etc.

And if genetics and "survival of the fittest" isn't valid, what other possibilities could cause this population skew? If all things were equal, each personality would be divided evenly, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Orion
Type percentage is bullshit and it's different on every site anyways.

Even if INFJs reproduce it doesnt mean that they will make a little INFJ baby. Cloning however could be an option.

If you say that cloning is a solution, then you are implying that personality type is completely based on genes.

I don't think INFJs necessarily beget INFJs...

I don't think INFJs necessarily beget INFJs...
+1

I am pretty sure there are plenty of us out there who have parents who are the opposite type of you, or Kids even

+1

I am pretty sure there are plenty of us out there who have parents who are the opposite type of you, or Kids even

That's me. Mom is an ESTP and Dad is an ENTJ.

IMO, it's way off. I see the levels as more or less equal. Even if they weren't equal, there is a huge bias for Introverts to be underrepresented.

Yes, I believe this to be true as well, I haven't really observed an over-dominance of any single personality type, or even a trait like Extrovertedness. And the bias issue is a very valid point.

As for INFJs not begetting INFJs, I believe this to be only half-true. Yes, two INFJ parents are not guaranteed to have an INFJ kid, but I believe they are more likely to transfer some of their letters. For example, imagine there are genes for Extrovert vs. Introvert, iNtuition vs. Sensing, etc., and they can be passed on. Therefore, I think two INFJ parents are more likely to make an an NJ or NFJ, etc. than not, but of course exceptions happen. Two tall parents can have a short kid, and vice versa; that doesn't disprove that tall parents don't generally pass on their genes to have tall kids.

Yes, I believe this to be true as well, I haven't really observed an over-dominance of any single personality type, or even a trait like Extrovertedness. And the bias issue is a very valid point.

As for INFJs not begetting INFJs, I believe this to be only half-true. Yes, two INFJ parents are not guaranteed to have an INFJ kid, but I believe they are more likely to transfer some of their letters. For example, imagine there are genes for Extrovert vs. Introvert, iNtuition vs. Sensing, etc., and they can be passed on. Therefore, I think two INFJ parents are more likely to make an an NJ or NFJ, etc. than not, but of course exceptions happen. Two tall parents can have a short kid, and vice versa; that doesn't disprove that tall parents don't generally pass on their genes to have tall kids.

This here is the problem. There's no reason to suppose that MBTI comes from genes, because the MBTI is a human creation and not a mapping of our DNA. Furthermore, if MBTI was even partially genetic, we would be able to tell about someone's personality type very shortly after birth. Instead, it takes until age 13 or so for this to be clear.

You guys needs to track down some other INFJ's to reproduce with and create large families. Problem solved. Now if only we could get the government to back this up...

Last edited:
It's a pretty big assumption that it is genetic, there would likely be way less family conflict if this were true, so many misunderstandings come from relative just not "getting" where the other is coming from.

Anyways, what the world needs is more ISFPs, then the world will be full of peace, beauty, cookies and sex.

Generally speaking, it's thought that personality is broken up between both genes and environment -- I remember hearing that the Big Five tends to be thought of as almost 50-50 nature-nurture.

If it were genetic, it would probably not go strictly by type-code. If anything, using the function set as a determinant over the type of the child would be more accurate -- for example, an SJ type and an SP type might still yield a NJ type because of the Ni tucked somewhere in the SP's function set. It also makes more sense that only certain aspects of the parent's personalities would be inherited, given that personality is a complex collage of various elements. Plus, consider how genetics is a web that includes genes from the parents, grandparents, and any other number of relatives. A child might inherit something that was recessive in their parents.

All that aside, the statistics for population percentages aren't all that accurate. It's hard to test a big and diverse enough sample for that, and there are discrepancies across sites.

I come from a large family and have yet to identify another INFJ.
And no, I was not adopted. I checked.

Also, I've reproduced three times. Two of the three
turned out to be...
:m077:SENSORS!!!!!

Lol, I come from a large family too, I have two ISTP brothers...

my parents and sister are all sensors:m035:
two of which are ESFJ
nobody else ever talks

Interesting article by the way.

I think the world I grew up in made me an infj. I don't think I was born one. Or that I can make one either. The environment you grow up in has a lot to do with who you become. And if I can change my mind enough I think I could change my type. But what do I know I am only speculating...

Reactions: donkeybals
The studies I've read posit significant heritability for introversion/extraversion, slight to moderate heritability for feeling/thinking and judging/feeling, and no heritability whatsoever for intuition/sensing.

Reactions: barbad0s
My mother is an INFP, my father an ISTJ.

My brothers are INTJ and ISTP