Mankind... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Mankind...

Hating humanity based on its destructiveness is a cop-out. As a species, we're intelligent enough to recognize the harm we're doing to the planet and then to ourselves as a result.

We made a mistake in Industrializing the world, and we won some and then we lost some.

We can take what we've learned through our innovation and apply it to creating an eco-friendly civilization to correct our mistakes.

Hating humanity is giving up intellectually. Hate the mistakes humanity has made and then correct those mistakes that are correctable.
There's certainly nothing pro-active about hating humanity.

Reactions: Milon
I see people in the same way I see animals. I think they are interesting, but also potentially destructive...

At least most animals do thier thing pretty well.
When they don't it's disgusting: a cat with mud on it; a skinny dog; a lame horse; a bird that can't fly.

Humans are disgusting when their intellect is at the service of their emotions and desires.
However, humans whose emotions and desires are under the command of their intellects are awsome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milon
What does intellect at the service of emotions look like?

Random example: A dirty old man playing mind tricks on younger women to get them to sleep with him.

Example 2: someone who could have been a GREAT scientist/inventor who ended up working in finance, because the pay was better, so he coud have a nice house and car.

Thanks! Good examples.
And I agree with you, in those cases it is disappointing.

I see people in the same way I see animals. I think they are interesting, but also potentially destructive. I think the same way about hyenas.

More and more I have a sense of the cause and effects that produce destructive behaviors. I felt more hopeless about people when "evil" felt mysterious and inexplicable. Now I think it results from a combination of genetics and environment. If the source of the problem can be identified, then perhaps there is potential for a solution.

Edit: This way of viewing humanity necessitates that I see myself as equal to any other potential person. If I had their nature and nurture, there is no way to measure that I would be anything except exactly who they are.
But you don't, and that makes all the difference...

Random example: A dirty old man playing mind tricks on younger women to get them to sleep with him.

Example 2: someone who could have been a GREAT scientist/inventor who ended up working in finance, because the pay was better, so he coud have a nice house and car.
You can also examine the other side of the coin. Any example of a person who devises a plan in which they have to sacrifice self or take a great risk to help another person because they love the person and not because any personal advantage.

I find mankind to be intriguing with our cultures and varying degrees of thought. We leave a lot of things unexplained... or maybe unaccounted for? The only ill-will I tend to feel would be when I can't understand a humans behaviors or I'm not being understood. It's a sort of frustration that I have a hard time dwelling on because of mostly what alt ctrl del said above...
I feel like I will endlessly make up excuses for mankind whether I want to or not.

I find mankind to be intriguing with our cultures and varying degrees of thought.
I find us intriguing for the same reasons. Anyone who loves knowledge and learning and experiencing beauty and hates humankind is utterly baffling to me. We're all connected.
If you hate another, you've got to hate yourself.

Quoting the White House regarding something almost entirely different, yet encompassing "mankind" as a whole...
"opportunities and challenges".
post # 777........see that, Lucifer?

Last edited:
At least most animals do thier thing pretty well.
When they don't it's disgusting: a cat with mud on it; a skinny dog; a lame horse; a bird that can't fly.

Humans are disgusting when their intellect is at the service of their emotions and desires.
However, humans whose emotions and desires are under the command of their intellects are awsome.

Thats a good point.

Humanity as a hole to me has so much poential. But as a speecies we fail to live up to it.

And many humans make me want to go on rampage to get rid of the many many people who don't deserve the things they have or the life they live. I'm so sick of the pathetic nature of most people. Willing to run anyone over to get what they want. And are so stupid they can't grasp the big picture.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Thats a good point.

Humanity as a hole to me has so much poential. But as a speecies we fail to live up to it.

And many humans make me want to go on rampage to get rid of the many many people who don't deserve the things they have or the life they live. I'm so sick of the pathetic nature of most people. Willing to run anyone over to get what they want. And are so stupid they can't grasp the big picture.
And you decide who deserves what.

I have an idea about what you mean in that there are people who seem to feel entitled to a great deal without examining if or why they might be entitled to it.

On the other hand, it is more difficult than one might think to actually determine what another person has. This is because ownership includes both tangible and intangible things. In addition to this, a person can possess many things, but not experience true ownership. People who always crave more are impoverished on the inside.

Thats a good point.

And you decide who deserves what.

Your point is still haughty and frankly, scary.

alt ctrl del: I think blind bandit was saying how the behaviour of unscroopulous people make him FEEL. That isn't haughty - it's honest.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Your point is still haughty and frankly, scary.

Thats fine with me. I never said it was a pleasant or inspirational opinion of mankind.

I'm not going to sit hear and lie to you about what I think or have observed for that would simply be just as bad ignoring the issue.

Humanity as a hole is frankly pathetic. We are supposed to be intelligent yet we can't do better than we are. We are so stuck in our box that we don't allow ourselves to move forward for fear of leaving our social cultural norms behind us.

But I see so many good people that are kind and generous and it baffles me why more of the human race is not capable of this.

How can some over come their baser instincts to a degree and others are simply sallowed by them.

\
I have an idea about what you mean in that there are people who seem to feel entitled to a great deal without examining if or why they might be entitled to it.

On the other hand, it is more difficult than one might think to actually determine what another person has. This is because ownership includes both tangible and intangible things. In addition to this, a person can possess many things, but not experience true ownership. People who always crave more are impoverished on the inside.

True very true.

There is nothing wrong with wanting more. But, To barrow an exisentialist term, people don't live authenticly enough. I think every INFJ can understand what I'm referring at least in some way..

I know I feel fake a lot more than I would like. Hell I fall into petty trapings as anyone can and it frustrates me. I know I should be a better person but often its a challenge.

That the norms of society make me and others less of the people we could be.

alt ctrl del: I think blind bandit was saying how the behaviour of unscroopulous people make him FEEL. That isn't haughty - it's honest.

Yes thats pretty much what I was trying to pin point.

Thanks Flavus :m177:

Last edited:
I suppose you are right. Everyone is entitled to their own feelings and opinion.. I just happen to get very defensive when I perceive someone to be judgmental.

Was never really looking to offend so I apologize, BB. I'm not a tactful person, I guess.

It never ceases to amaze me, the human race. Within a single man is a variable that could be an infinite number of things in between the cognitive gradients of good and evil.

Look at the Stanley Milgram experiments, or even the situation at Abu Ghraib. Within each and every one of us, no matter how "good" we might imagine ourselves to be, there still is that capacity to temporarily rationalize masochistic behaviors as humanistic ones.

See also the Nuremberg trials. Other than some of the people in charge, there were no evil villains that rubbed their hands together and cackled madly as they stroked a Machiavellian mustache.

I think it is extremely inspiring that even the most "evil" could be doing "good." But those that feel they are doing the right thing must have the humility to realize that they, too, could be deceived.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
I suppose you are right. Everyone is entitled to their own feelings and opinion.. I just happen to get very defensive when I perceive someone to be judgmental.

Was never really looking to offend so I apologize, BB. I'm not a tactful person, I guess.

No need for apologies, I'm guessing. INFJs tend to judge more than INFPs, I'm guessing.

It never ceases to amaze me, the human race. Within a single man is a variable that could be an infinite number of things in between the cognitive gradients of good and evil.

Look at the Stanley Milgram experiments, or even the situation at Abu Ghraib. Within each and every one of us, no matter how "good" we might imagine ourselves to be, there still is that capacity to temporarily rationalize masochistic behaviors as humanistic ones.

See also the Nuremberg trials. Other than some of the people in charge, there were no evil villains that rubbed their hands together and cackled madly as they stroked a Machiavellian mustache.

I think it is extremely inspiring that even the most "evil" could be doing "good." But those that feel they are doing the right thing must have the humility to realize that they, too, could be deceived.

Good point. I disgust myself, with my capacity for evil at the drop of a hat. Not that I would ever plan it - but sometimes little actions have very large bad effects. :(