Artisan

Dares, Dreams, Does
Jun 11, 2014
MBTI
INFJ-A
Enneagram
1w2
Hey People ^^!

I keep noticing people mentioning movies by Makoto Shinkai and it seems to me that a lot of people here watch them. ^^
So I figured that perhaps it would be nice to have a Makoto Shinkai movie discussion thread :)

What is your favorite movie by Makoto Shinkai? and why?

What is it that appeals to you so in his movies?

What is your favorite movie by Makoto Shinkai? and why?
Voices from a distant star (Hoshi no koe)
The time dilation effect was a very interesting twist to the subject and the story had an extremely powerful impact on me.

What is it that appeals to you so in his movies?
The things that really appeals to me in his movies are the pure, raw emotions they evoke and the touching stories they contain.
Another thing I really like are the colors and detail of the movies.

Last edited:
I just watched Voices from a distant star, it was quite disappointing, I was expecting more of a plot but it's actually very plain.

I just watched Voices from a distant star, it was quite disappointing, I was expecting more of a plot but it's actually very plain.

Yeah, his films are more like emotional experiences.

I like The Place Promised in Our Early Days. It doesn't make me cry myself to death.

Haha I guess I was just more into the movie :p In my experience it was pretty good.

I don't really think Makoto Shinkai movies have a real amazingly original plot though.
It's usually just the execution of regular stories that is good. ^^

Haha I guess I was just more into the movie :p In my experience it was pretty good.

I don't really think Makoto Shinkai movies have a real amazingly original plot though.
It's usually just the execution of regular stories that is good. ^^

Yeah. I feel his movies are about normal people having normal feelings about extraordinary things. I mean just imagine what it would be like to send a message to somebody and they don't even receive it until 8 years later.

Yeah. I feel his movies are about normal people having normal feelings about extraordinary things. I mean just imagine what it would be like to send a message to somebody and they don't even receive it until 8 years later.

Exactly! :)

Favorite will always be 5 Centimeters Per Second. Tons of reasons why.

His stuff is so crisp. Not to mention the quality. *nod*

I like 5 Centimeters Per Second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days too, but my favourite would be The Garden of Words. I believe I'm in the minority with this opinion as far as I can tell, but I'm just a sucker for melancholic romance stories that feel realistic (not to mention it's downright gorgeous).

Also, there's a new movie coming in August this year, called Kimi no Na wa. (Your name). Here's a teaser of sorts. I'm really looking forward to it.