Majoring in CS | INFJ Forum

Majoring in CS

ladognome

Aug 22, 2008
I'm thinking of majoring in Computer Science in college, but it seems like all these personality tests say I'd be better with a social worker job or something...

I think CS kinda suits me. I like computers, I get to use my over-active imagination in solving problems, I can work by myself, and if my programs get out there I can "influence the world." :mrgreen:

Well, what you know of yourself is more important than what people write about types, so go for it if you feel it's what you would enjoy ;)
I thought about being a computer graphic artist for a while (but then I went to applied art school and hated it :twisted: )

Personally I would never work in a social field. Most infjs are probably very good at that sort of job, but it doesn't mean that it's the career best suited to all of us :geek:

I am half-way though a degree in Computer Science. I like it but I don't want to make a career out of it. Although I like the style of problem solving, I don't think it really challenged my imagination at all. Besides I like people too much.

I'm majoring in Game and Simulation Programming and love to program (despite being an INFJ).

Although, the Game Design part I like better, probably due to my personality type.

Essentially, I can't see myself doing something that does not have a product of some kind at the end of the day. (kind of opposite of my personality type.)

I thought for years I wanted to be in CS. But then I got some experience in the field, and realized that while I love it as a hobby, I'd hate programming if I had to do it as a job. But kudos to you!

Personality tests are one thing, but you know yourself better the anyone else. Always follow what you feel is right, particularry with your career. I can't picture anyone following a career path that felt wrong to them just because "it is said that you are the kind of person who is supposed to do this." Do what feels right.

I mean, I subvert the expectations of INFJ career paths. I am majoring chemistry. I am simply in love with chemistry, and would hate to be involved with social work.

Don't listen to what tests tell you to do. They may help a little bit but really, do what you love, no matter what you are told!
I was even fighting with my parents when I was deciding my major because I wanted to be a zoologist and just do a minor in comp sci (I love programming). I guess I ended up majoring in comp sci anyways because of the school I chose, but still just go with what you have fun with, much better than going through life with something you don't really like (not necessarily dislike)