Low self-esteem AND strong sense of self? | INFJ Forum

Low self-esteem AND strong sense of self?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Self-esteem AND Sense of self?

I've noticed recently that it is possible to experience both low self-esteem and strong sense of self. I always thought or believed these two things were mutually exclusive or contradictory. It's interesting that it's possible to have both.

Classic example, is the INFjs (and other types as well) who may have a strong sense of self, but yet experience low self-esteem.

Just something I noticed and thought was interesting.

Last edited:
Yes

I have a low sense of self (More keeps uncovering itself each day), but I have a relatively healthy self esteem. Hmm.. :mill:

I don't have good self-steem or a good sense of self so I can't really relate to this..

I have good self esteem and a relatively good sense of myself.

I attribute it to focusing on what interests me.

I don't have good self-steem or a good sense of self so I can't really relate to this..

F*** everyone else and focus on your goals and what makes you happy. Soon you'll begin to see yourself as the wonderful person that you are, and so will everyone else.
I don't know you but I assume you're not a murderer.

Last edited:
I have a healthy self esteem unless I'm beating myself up - then I'm weak because I'm second guessing my motives, my decisions blah blah blah
So I guess I'm half and half.

Hmm. I guess I'm not the only one with the reverse. I have a relatively healthy self-esteem, but a very poor sense of who I really am.

While I don't know if this is what you necessarily mean by "sense of self," but a lot of the time, I don't feel real. I feel like a detached observer rather than a participant in my own life; like I'm just collection of thoughts and emotions that are clustered together and follow old habits. There's no core identity, therefore, there's nothing to really take personally. Disappointments or triumphs only register for a little while, and then move on. And although this is only a very recent development, now I just define myself by what I do or did or what I look like... but not what I am.

No idea if that makes any sense.

I have good self esteem and a relatively good sense of myself.

I attribute it to focusing on what interests me.

F*** everyone else and focus on your goals and what makes you happy. Soon you'll begin to see yourself as the wonderful person that you are, and so will everyone else.
I don't know you but I assume you're not a murderer.

lol. of course..I would never think of such thing..I'm just going through some sort of depression that I can't seem to get out...I think with me it's the opposite..I'm to much of a pacifist that I just sometimes let other people step over me sometimes.