CAptain

Of Truth and Reconciliation
Donor
Apr 1, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Love and intimacy are at a root of what makes us sick and what makes us well, what causes sadness and what brings happiness, what makes us suffer and what leads to healing

I saw the thread title and I just came here to say:

Feelers be feeling.

[MENTION=1798]Feelings[/MENTION] makes fun but he listens to Justin Bieber while taking bubble baths at night because it hurts too much to share his feelings with others.

I was going to post on this earlier but I didn't know exactly what to say.

I think we all need balance of some sort and you can find that through many different avenues. If that means family, then go for it. If that just means volunteering then fine. But the key is balance, if we just be feelin' and not workin' then nothing gets done. We need to keep advancing as a society but individually, we need to take breaks.

Reactions: JGirl, the and Gaze
@feelings makes fun but he listens to justin bieber while taking bubble baths at night because it hurts too much to share his feelings with others.
nobody understands me like bieber

Reactions: bickelz
yep, true. It is one of the basic human needs according to Maslow.

Reactions: Rasmus
A long time ago I said "I do" ... to love.

Reactions: acd
I totally agree with you, those things that the media tell us are the ultimate trophies do take away from true connection between human beings. That's why with modernism, especially writers and artists, individuals have noted the estrangement between individuals. I think that's the sad truth---we may have more suicides, depressions, and whatever because of the different way in which we live, which also affect our priorities in everyday life.

I totally agree with you, those things that the media tell us are the ultimate trophies do take away from true connection between human beings. That's why with modernism, especially writers and artists, individuals have noted the estrangement between individuals. I think that's the sad truth---we may have more suicides, depressions, and whatever because of the different way in which we live, which also affect our priorities in everyday life.

this is true

@Feelings makes fun but he listens to Justin Bieber while taking bubble baths at night because it hurts too much to share his feelings with others.

I was going to post on this earlier but I didn't know exactly what to say.

I think we all need balance of some sort and you can find that through many different avenues. If that means family, then go for it. If that just means volunteering then fine. But the key is balance, if we just be feelin' and not workin' then nothing gets done. We need to keep advancing as a society but individually, we need to take breaks.

I actually got a good chuckle from his post. =)

You're right, we need to find the balance between career and feeling loved in a sense.

yep, true. It is one of the basic human needs according to Maslow.

we need it like air. .

It really is indispensable. Yet it surprises me that society today doesn't try to develope genuine love.

A long time ago I said "I do" ... to love.

And how did it turn out? :)

love needs to be part of my diet? o:

Yup. Love = The healthies food.

It really is sad.

Question to all....How then can one cultivate genuine love? By studying psychology? self-help books? Living in an enviroment of warm affection?

Question to all....How then can one cultivate genuine love? By studying psychology? self-help books? Living in an enviroment of warm affection?

whenever i hear the word "cultivate", i immediately think "bacterial growth"

i think you can cultivate love not through studying things or other indirect methods, although i guess pondering about people and why they do what or what their deeper motives or things like that are might make it easier to understand people. i think you need to do this sort of thing first hand though.

you can have more love in your life by being kind to people, especially those in need. i know that when someone has aid brought to them and i see them smile, regardless if it's me or another person helping them, i feel happy. you can spend time with people so that you are both genuinely enjoying yourselves and each others company. you can create special connetions with others by sharing things together or creating things inside your relationship that are exlusive to it, that neither of you have shared with any or few others. it's also hard to love the world if you don't trust it, that it's not going to hurt you, or if you have too high standards for getting hurt, which could be improved by developing emotional resilience. you love by allowing yourself to be happy and comfortable with others, and others love you when you allow them to be happy and comfortable with you.

Reactions: Nixie
whenever i hear the word "cultivate", i immediately think "bacterial growth"

i think you can cultivate love not through studying things or other indirect methods, although i guess pondering about people and why they do what or what their deeper motives or things like that are might make it easier to understand people. i think you need to do this sort of thing first hand though.

you can have more love in your life by being kind to people, especially those in need. i know that when someone has aid brought to them and i see them smile, regardless if it's me or another person helping them, i feel happy. you can spend time with people so that you are both genuinely enjoying yourselves and each others company. you can create special connetions with others by sharing things together or creating things inside your relationship that are exlusive to it, that neither of you have shared with any or few others. it's also hard to love the world if you don't trust it, that it's not going to hurt you, or if you have too high standards for getting hurt, which could be improved by developing emotional resilience.

Yes, your post speaks truth. It essentially comes down to unselfishness. Thanks for taking the time. =)

Reactions: Nixie

By living it perhaps... you learn to love someone, and yourself, by the little choices we make everyday - are we choosing to be kind, respectful, trustworthy, someone who can be trusted. honesty, emotional authenticity. i've found that like attracts like - it is hard to love/be loved if one is negative, hostile.

i think it's also learning to love wisely - we cannot save every starfish on the beach, and no matter how much we love someone, sometimes we have to recognise that someone is not good for us, and to learn to let go too... part of that is self-love mayhaps. Or, if one chooses to go down that thorny road, one has to throw yourself into it, with the confidence that you can move on after.

Love has no safety nets, but we do need to be aware what we can or cannot bear, before we take action.

It has to be more than a feeling. It needs expression through thought, word, deed.

By living it perhaps... you learn to love someone, and yourself, by the little choices we make everyday - are we choosing to be kind, respectful, trustworthy, someone who can be trusted. honesty, emotional authenticity. i've found that like attracts like - it is hard to love/be loved if one is negative, hostile.

i think it's also learning to love wisely - we cannot save every starfish on the beach, and no matter how much we love someone, sometimes we have to recognise that someone is not good for us, and to learn to let go too... part of that is self-love mayhaps. Or, if one chooses to go down that thorny road, one has to throw yourself into it, with the confidence that you can move on after.

Love has no safety nets, but we do need to be aware what we can or cannot bear, before we take action.

It has to be more than a feeling. It needs expression through thought, word, deed.

Exactly! We really can't love and be loved if we exude negativity. One needs to be positive and treat others how we like to be treated.

I had to bold that part ^^ because that is crucial. Genuine love is more than just affection or sentiment. It consistently acts in the very best interests of others, even if they do not fully appreciate it at the time. Love does not look for it's own interest.