Kyrgyzstan uprising

Krumplenump

Community Member
May 29, 2009
MBTI
eftagawrg
[youtube]Q7mC1KAAxD8[/youtube]

Opposition declares power in Kyrgyzstan amid violent protests

The Kyrgyz opposition says it has formed an interim government after seizing power in the capital, Bishkek. This follows violent protests by anti-government demonstrators that took the lives of more than 70 protesters.

On Wednesday night the number of dead in the riots reached 75 and about 500 more people have been hospitalized with injuries, according to the Kyrgyz Health Ministry data. The headquarters report said most of the fatalities occurred in Bishkek, the nation

There is a country called Kyrgyzstan?

We act like we have it bad here in th U.S.

I say there are two outcomes of this
1) The protesters are violently silenced, which will lead to further revolt down the line, and a possible revolution (to another corrupt government)
2) The government regains control, gives the people enough to settle things down, and then returns to corruption

Either way, it doesn't look too promising.

Well, the outcome has already happened - a new interim government headed by a female and who was a minister in the now ousted cabinet. Protesters WERE violently silenced, with security officers firing into the crowd, hence the death toll, but it just so happened that this only served to inflame tensions further. Time will tell if this newly formed (in an amazing 24 hours) government will be any better. Invariably that are at the beginning.

This may not yet be over though since some reports say Bakiyev is in the south gathering his own supporters.

It's a shame, Kyrgyzstan has such beautiful landscapes and a pretty rich cultural heritage, and the place doesn't reek with religiosity either - despite it being a nominally Muslim country there are no real dress codes. Along with Kazakhstan it's one of the two stans I wish to visit!

There is a country called Kyrgyzstan?
Yes, it's pronounced, 'ky-rig-istan', or as some like to say 'kuuur-gistan'
And check this out periodically if you wish to remain in the know about Bishkek :p http://www.thespektator.co.uk

Last edited:
This may not yet be over though since some reports say Bakiyev is in the south gathering his own supporters.
Yeah, I've been watching this a little for the past while (I have two classes that focus on comparative world governments, and war and revolution, so we're likely to discuss this even more so next week), but I doubt it's over just yet. It's way too soon to tell, and it wouldn't surprise me if Bakiyev tries to regain some form of control in the coming days/weeks.

It's been coming. The country has been unstable for a while now, but I don't think they'll be able to stabilize the new government right away. Who knows, maybe even a regime change to a real democratic republic?

Yeah, I've been watching this a little for the past while (I have two classes that focus on comparative world governments, and war and revolution, so we're likely to discuss this even more so next week), but I doubt it's over just yet. It's way too soon to tell, and it wouldn't surprise me if Bakiyev tries to regain some form of control in the coming days/weeks.

It's been coming. The country has been unstable for a while now, but I don't think they'll be able to stabilize the new government right away. Who knows, maybe even a regime change to a real democratic republic?

Well, I never really set democracy as the number 1 priority. National contentedness should be the aim of any group heading a society. Much of the Turkic world is quite tribal, and this feudal system gives rise to autocracies. Whilst I was brought up in democracies and hence I like the idea of living in one, many Kyrgyz were not and so democratic freedoms are not necessarily high on their list of priorities.

What I guess would really be good for the country, and many other similar surrounding ones, would be a GOOD autocratic leader. Give corrupt politicians democratic powers and they will fracture political parties into myriad of smaller ones until there really is no system left at all except the name 'democratic'. The route Turkey took with a good, productive, autocratic leader until 1938 and autocratic system until the 50's made sure that there was no opposition to the necessary reforms that allowed a democratic system to eventually bear fruit. It might be good if the stans were able to find similar leaders and follow a similar route.

Well, I never really set democracy as the number 1 priority. National contentedness should be the aim of any group heading a society. Much of the Turkic world is quite tribal, and this feudal system gives rise to autocracies. Whilst I was brought up in democracies and hence I like the idea of living in one, many Kyrgyz were not and so democratic freedoms are not necessarily high on their list of priorities.

What I guess would really be good for the country, and many other similar surrounding ones, would be a GOOD autocratic leader. Give corrupt politicians democratic powers and they will fracture political parties into myriad of smaller ones until there really is no system left at all except the name 'democratic'. The route Turkey took with a good, productive, autocratic leader until 1938 and autocratic system until the 50's made sure that there was no opposition to the necessary reforms that allowed a democratic system to eventually bear fruit. It might be good if the stans were able to find similar leaders and follow a similar route.

Good despots are so hard to come by these days though.