Keep This Thread on Topic | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Keep This Thread on Topic

Don't talk to @hush that way. Hush is my mentor. When I was new to this forum, she pulled me under her broken wing and showed me the way. She trained me in all things forum. I'm still learning, so I check in with her to see how I'm doing. She always says, "Great."

I owe my forum existence to hush. Every word I have ever spilled out anywhere on this forum is a direct result of hush and her mentoring. I have her to thank for that. You have her to thank for that. So watch your tone with her. Got it?

Take a bow @hush. I just gave you credit for eeeeeeevvverythiiiinggg I've ever said and ever will say on this forum. :)

Don't talk to @hush that way. Hush is my mentor. When I was new to this forum, she pulled me under her broken wing and showed me the way. She trained me in all things forum. I'm still learning, so I check in with her to see how I'm doing. She always says, "Great."

I owe my forum existence to hush. Every word I have ever spilled out anywhere on this forum is a direct result of hush and her mentoring. I have her to thank for that. You have her to thank for that. So watch your tone with her. Got it?

Oh heck naw. I ain't taking the blame for the unspeakable things that issue forth from your mouth, etc.

*retracts her broken wing and flops away, leaving you to the mercy of @Night Owl @James and your man-child, @dang *

that is ten posts to be removed

Oh heck naw. I ain't taking the blame for the unspeakable things that issue forth from your mouth, etc.

*retracts her broken wing and flops away, leaving you to the mercy of @Night Owl @James and your man-child, @dang *

I'm not sure that's something you take a bow for... I think it's something you respond to by slinking away/flopping away into the shadows, never to be seen again.

Hmmm.

*heartbroken*

It really is a very interesting kind of life you live Milk Toast...either that of a very interesting imagination. Either way they don't make two of you everyday of the week. Hum, no offense but maybe that's for the best...I'm not sure how many Milk Toasts the world could take.

No offense, but if I could empregnate myself and birth a litter of Milky Babies I would.

Hmmm.

*heartbroken*
The real topic is found where all those topics converge....

:m068:

It converges with my heart breaking at the thought of Milky's heart breaking and, weeping, I gather everything previously posted and set it ablaze, so we can start anew. So our hearts may be healed.

giphy.gif

Let's take a moment to speak on the topic of convergence...

Convergence is when two or more things come together to form a new whole, like the convergence of plum and apricot genes in the plucot. Ha ha ha.

Convergence comes from the prefix con-, meaning together, and the verb verge, which means to turn toward. We can use convergence to describe things that are in the process of coming together, like the slow convergence of your opinions with those of your mother, or for things that have already come together, like the convergence of two roads, or for the place where two things already overlap, like the convergence of your aunt's crazy wardrobe with avant-garde fashion. *giggle giggle*

:m068:

It converges with my heart breaking at the thought of Milky's heart breaking and, weeping, I gather everything previously posted and set it ablaze, so we can start anew. So our hearts may be healed.

giphy.gif

Does this mean you'll take the bla....credit for everything I'll say?

A sound theory but I have to disagree. The OP clearly implies that the topic is Topics. so it should not be the search of them we focus on but rather the topics them self and what might be considered a topic.

Should it be precise and structured? Should it be more open ended and at the whim of the posters? Is there room for the topic to evolve as new information is presented amd new aspects brought to question? Do personal anecdotes have a valid place when discussing a concrete topic or should one stick to valid peer reviewed factual sources?

You sly cat! Time to tweak but namely expand the theory :p

Maybe the topic can be topics?

Definition: topic (noun): "a matter dealt with in a text, discourse, or conversation; a subject."

Indeed, the focus is not on "searching for a topic" but since the topic is Topics - although the focus can be the topics themselves and what might be considered a topic, it need not be, because a topic (noun) isn't a material or abstract thing in and of itself, for rather a material or abstract thing through construction of perception is defined as a topic; or else a material or abstract thing is made a topic by default when it is becomes the subject matter of unregulated discussion. Nothing is intrinsically actualised as a topic, but everything is potentially a topic. Anything can become a topic, it need only adhere to the definition one gives (in a regulated discussion in which topics are defined) or it need only be discussed (in a non-regulated discussion where there is no topic that has been defined).

The topic of the OP is not "topic" in the singular, but "topics". Therefore since "topics" has been defined as the topic, and a topic is any-thing which has been defined as such, and "topics" include every every material or abstract thing, every material or abstract thing (everything) has been defined as a topic, and so discussing any-thing is on topic. [*This assumes the point made on the meaning attributed to the plural: "topics" made where the other * lies].

If the topic were the animal "pigs" we'd be bound to discussing pigs - the animal, and anything associated with it because the word pigs limits us to a-thing: pig/pigs. Yet since the topic is "topics" and any-thing is a potential topic and becomes an actual topic as soon as it is discussed (from frogs, to Stu's urges), we're bound to discussing not any particular thing or things (i.e. the meaning of "topics", what is meant by a topic, what is a good topic etc.), but any-thing. Yet if by the plural of "topics" @hush meant all conceivable topics, as opposed to simply more than one topic, but less than all topics, we're bound to discussing not just any-thing but every-thing.*

Why? Topic (noun): "a matter dealt with in a text, discourse, or conversation; a subject."

In the OP it has the topic as Topics in the plural, which is defined as: "matters dealt with in a text, discourse or conversation; subjects."

And since anything we discuss is itself 'a matter dealt with in a text, discourse or conversation' it is on one hand impossible to derail this thread as the OP permits anything but possibly requires discussing everything. The only way one could derail this thread is by failing to post something on anything -which would be nothing, and so actually, to post nothing (impossible on one level, possible on another) is the closet one can get to derailing this thread.

On the other hand, it has the potential to be an endless quest for a topic - not that this quest is the focus of the thread, but a likely, although non-necessary, consequence of an OP which permits anything. For to keep on topic, is to discuss "topics", and this permits (requires) discussion on anything/everything.

Oh man. I'm gonna fall unconscious.

I'm out! This is too much and I can't be bothered looking for possible holes in what I said o_0

^AND... since it's impossible to discuss everything (if all conceivable topics was intended by hush's use of "topics") then we've been assigned an impossible task: to discuss everything!

@hush I think you have successfully started a thread (a monster?) which has the potential to never end, to always be on topic no matter what one says, and yet, to never be fully on topic no matter what one says, since it's impossible to say everything and discuss all conceivable topics at all, never mind in one post :eek:

But if there is an answer, this surely might come the closet:

THIS. Edit: The real topic is found where all topics converge....

What if I told you...

undefined

You mean like the car?

Is... Is that what it'll take for no hearts to be broken? :'(

'Cause "everything I'll say" kinda terrifies me..

No. Nothing has to happen. I forgive you.

You sly cat! Time to tweak but namely expand the theory :p

Definition: topic (noun): "a matter dealt with in a text, discourse, or conversation; a subject."

Indeed, the focus is not on "searching for a topic" but since the topic is Topics - although the focus can be the topics themselves and what might be considered a topic, it need not be, because a topic (noun) isn't a material or abstract thing in and of itself, for rather a material or abstract thing through construction of perception is defined as a topic; or else a material or abstract thing is made a topic by default when it is becomes the subject matter of unregulated discussion. Nothing is intrinsically actualised as a topic, but everything is potentially a topic. Anything can become a topic, it need only adhere to the definition one gives (in a regulated discussion in which topics are defined) or it need only be discussed (in a non-regulated discussion where there is no topic that has been defined).

The topic of the OP is not "topic" in the singular, but "topics". Therefore since "topics" has been defined as the topic, and a topic is any-thing which has been defined as such, and "topics" include every every material or abstract thing, every material or abstract thing (everything) has been defined as a topic, and so discussing any-thing is on topic. [*This assumes the point made on the meaning attributed to the plural: "topics" made where the other * lies].

If the topic were the animal "pigs" we'd be bound to discussing pigs - the animal, and anything associated with it because the word pigs limits us to a-thing: pig/pigs. Yet since the topic is "topics" and any-thing is a potential topic and becomes an actual topic as soon as it is discussed (from frogs, to Stu's urges), we're bound to discussing not any particular thing or things (i.e. the meaning of "topics", what is meant by a topic, what is a good topic etc.), but any-thing. Yet if by the plural of "topics" @hush meant all conceivable topics, as opposed to simply more than one topic, but less than all topics, we're bound to discussing not just any-thing but every-thing.*

Why? Topic (noun): "a matter dealt with in a text, discourse, or conversation; a subject."

In the OP it has the topic as Topics in the plural, which is defined as: "matters dealt with in a text, discourse or conversation; subjects."

And since anything we discuss is itself 'a matter dealt with in a text, discourse or conversation' it is on one hand impossible to derail this thread as the OP permits anything but possibly requires discussing everything. The only way one could derail this thread is by failing to post something on anything -which would be nothing, and so actually, to post nothing (impossible on one level, possible on another) is the closet one can get to derailing this thread.

On the other hand, it has the potential to be an endless quest for a topic - not that this quest is the focus of the thread, but a likely, although non-necessary, consequence of an OP which permits anything. For to keep on topic, is to discuss "topics", and this permits (requires) discussion on anything/everything.

Oh man. I'm gonna fall unconscious.

I'm out! This is too much and I can't be bothered looking for possible holes in what I said o_0

Ok... save some words for the rest of us.

^AND... since it's impossible to discuss everything (if all conceivable topics was intended by hush's use of "topics") then we've been assigned an impossible task: to discuss everything!

We could just keep blabbing... forever. Eventually, we'll cover every thing. Of course we'll need someone to keep track of it all. @bellisima seems to be up for the task.