Keep This Thread on Topic | INFJ Forum

Keep This Thread on Topic

"Admittedly, I'm not sure what the topic is yet. Maybe the topic can be topics?

I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually..."

[I quote, lest you edit to spare us from this nightmare, which I hope to see take place]:

The only way to keep a thread on topic is to adhere to the OP.

Yet you say the topic can be anything and we'll figure it out eventually...

This means that no matter what is said henceforth, because it hasn't been mentioned in the OP, no definitive topic can be established.

Thus you have condemned all thread participants in an endless pursuit for a topic.

Wait! That's the topic... looking for a topic :eek:

Genius. O thou unconscious genius!

[I quote, lest you edit to spare us from this nightmare, which I hope to see take place]:

This means that no matter what is said henceforth, because it hasn't been mentioned in the OP, no definitive topic can be established.

Thus you have condemned all thread participants in an endless pursuit for a topic.

What have I done.

What have YOU done!?

I live life with my shirt off. That said, whenever I am faced with a predicament such as this, I reach for the greasiest, maximum strength topical ointment I have available. I put a massive glob on my palm and smear it onto my smartphone. Problem is, and I don't know if anyone else has this problem as well, my guinea pig, Hector gets excited at the sound of the opening tube and squeaks and scurries around. Of course, this gets the cat all worked up and it starts chasing Hector. Well, I have to dive onto the davenport to avoid the madness taking place under foot. Resting in such comfort, I lay down. Well, my greasy phone slides out of my hands and onto my chest. I keep trying to pick it up, but the greasy topical ointment prevents such an action and I just end up scooting my greasy phone across my belly and chest. With Hector squealing around in fear, I pick him up a lay him beside me. The cat does not approve and jumps on my greasy chest to get at Hector. When I push him off he scratches my greasy nipples and I let out a yelp. But I fear not, because the ointment should prevent infection though it does nothing for the cat and guinea pig hair that sticks to me. So I get up to take a shower. The cat bites Hector and I hear his cries as the water just beads up and rolls off of me. I give up and wait for the ointment to absorb into my flesh.

This happens quite frequently because this forum has a nasty problem of trailing from thread topics. So frustrating...

A sound theory but I have to disagree. The OP clearly implies that the topic is Topics. so it should not be the search of them we focus on but rather the topics them self and what might be considered a topic.

Should it be precise and structured? Should it be more open ended and at the whim of the posters? Is there room for the topic to evolve as new information is presented amd new aspects brought to question? Do personal anecdotes have a valid place when discussing a concrete topic or should one stick to valid peer reviewed factual sources?

Also since this post is about staying on topic I have now qualms about calling out @Milktoast Bandit for his blatant attempt to derail, and @hush for encouraging him (I mean I expect it from milky but I'm a little disappointed in you Hush).

A sound theory but I have to disagree. The OP clearly implies that the topic is Topics. so it should not be the search of them we focus on but rather the topics them self and what might be considered a topic.

Should it be precise and structured? Should it be more open ended and at the whim of the posters? Is there room for the topic to evolve as new information is presented amd new aspects brought to question? Do personal anecdotes have a valid place when discussing a concrete topic or should one stick to valid peer reviewed factual sources?

What's a worthy topic? What might be considered a topic? Greasy nipples? Topical ointment? Guinea pigs named Hector?

What's a worthy topic? What might be considered a topic? Greasy nipples? Topical ointment? Guinea pigs named Hector?
Anything can be a topic. I suppose it then depends on what the purpose of having the topic in the first place.

Topical ointment as a topic could have a quite a lot to discuss and debate about. on the other hand Guinea pigs named Hector would be much more limiting in scope of what is considered on topic conversation. Though there could be some interesting debate regarding giving pets "human" names or about the practice of using guinea pigs as food in some south American regions.

the practice of using guinea pigs as food in some south American regions.

I suppose certain things just end up feeling taboo because we get used to what's acceptable and common within our cultures. Ultimately, isn't an animal an animal? Why should one be less acceptable as food than another? Although of course, senselessly targeting species that are endangered or brutal treatment because certain foods are considered a delicacy would be special cases (such as the case with sharks and their fins). But, going back to "an animal is an animal," horses for instance. I know you've a lot of experience with this, with horses being a staple meat source in Mongolia, and eaten fairly commonly around other parts, but not here in the states where most balk at even the media. I do recall you mentioning though that you'd be less inclined to eat horses here because they're more likely to be pumped full of hormones and other things you wouldn't want to put in your stomach, but more often than not that seems to be the case with most meats here and isn't the primary reason why Americans don't find the idea of eating horse palatable - the same as why they can't wrap their heads around Guinea pigs. They just aren't used to it, and are used to somewhat arbitrarily delegating certain animals as food, and certain animals as pets or companions... but pigs can be quite cuddly pets, and are quite intelligent, I'd wager more so than a guinea pig. I find things like this endlessly fascinating, anthropology, cultures, what we accept without question merely because it's what our current society at this current point in time has deemed acceptable.

Clearly all the previous posts are in complete disregard of the original post, in fact they should be moved in their entirety to the derailment thread.

In order to proceed properly we need to determine exactly what the topic is, since that was not delineated in the OP in would be useful to determine what the topic is not.

Clearly it is not about how many different animals @Jet is willing to eat.

Clearly all the previous posts are in complete disregard of the original post, in fact they should be moved in their entirety to the derailment thread.

In order to proceed properly we need to determine exactly what the topic is, since that was not delineated in the OP in would be useful to determine what the topic is not.

Clearly it is not about how many different animals @Jet is willing to eat.
I am an equal opportunity eater (though I still feel bad for consuming the succulently fatty meat of the endangered Mongolian gazelle).

I am also an equal opportunity topic talker. We have been having a natural conversation that flows from various topics and then you had to go and fuck it up Stu. Gosh.

Again, this topic is clearly not about who @Stu would or would not fuck