Ji vs Pi and inner worlds | INFJ Forum

Ji vs Pi and inner worlds

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
So there are two kinds of Introverts, Pi doms and Ji doms.

The Pi doms are I__Js under MBTI

and the Ji doms are I__Ps under MBTI

So rather ironically if your an introvert with a J preference your dominant function is a perceiving one and vice versa if you have a P preference.

We all know the J stereotypes, that they are structured, organised, disciplined in their approach to the external world.

What I want to explore is how Ji and Pi preferences affect our approach to the inner world.

Are Ji doms the stereotypical Js of the inner world? Do they have an inner world that is ordered, structured, predictable and static? Is the inner world of the Pi dom unstructured, dynamic and unpredictable?

So Js can be quite anal in their approach to the outer world and Ps can be so anal when it comes to their approach to the inner world. This is why Ti doms can be such pedants when it comes to defintions/principles etc. same with why Fi doms can be so surprisingly and unpredictably stubborn about moral things/things that cause offense etc. Their inner world is black and white, right and wrong. They derive their sense of order from the hidden inner world. So you end up offending the INFP or ISFP and you have absolutely no idea what it was you did wrong but to them it's black and white.

Js ground themselves in the outer world and Ps ground themselves in the inner world. That's where they find their sense of order and certainty.

The P sees the external world as too unpredictable and dynamic to bother planning and structuring things too much and the J sees the inner world as the same.

Discuss.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
INxJs are Pi.

Rememberwhenitrained: You shouldn't have deleted it, because your explanation did fit perfectly with what I was talking about. Ni is a dynamic function, that's exactly what I meant.

Last edited:
Reactions: rawr

So rather ironically if your an introvert with a J preference your dominant function is a perceiving one and vice versa if you have a P preference.

We all know the J stereotypes, that they are structured, organised, disciplined in their approach to the external world.

What I want to explore is how Ji and Pi preferences affect our approach to the inner world.

Are Ji doms the stereotypical Js of the inner world? Do they have an inner world that is ordered, structured, predictable and static? Is the inner world of the Pi dom unstructured, dynamic and unpredictable?

So Js can be quite anal in their approach to the outer world and Ps can be so anal when it comes to their approach to the inner world. This is why Ti doms can be such pedants when it comes to defintions/principles etc. same with why Fi doms can be so surprisingly and unpredictably stubborn about moral things/things that cause offense etc. Their inner world is black and white, right and wrong. They derive their sense of order from the hidden inner world. So you end up offending the INFP or ISFP and you have absolutely no idea what it was you did wrong but to them it's black and white.

Js ground themselves in the outer world and Ps ground themselves in the inner world. That's where they find their sense of order and certainty.

The P sees the external world as too unpredictable and dynamic to bother planning and structuring things too much and the J sees the inner world as the same.

Discuss.

I don't know if I'd say my inner world is "predictable" or "static." Maybe it is. But I do know that my thoughts are very structured. Everything for me, every observation, every emotion, every assumption, is somehow interconnected in this web inside my mind. The best way I know to describe it is like keeping a blog--you have tagging systems and categories that posts go into. My mind works that way, and I cross-reference everything. What's more, I always know exactly how I feel about everything. I'm always in touch with who I am, what I want, etc.

I agree with the black-and-white thing, as well, to an extent, but I'm actually going to have to think about it more before I know for sure and before I can contribute any thoughts.

Rememberwhenitrained: You shouldn't have deleted it, because your explanation did fit perfectly with what I was talking about. Ni is a dynamic function, that's exactly what I meant.

Seconded. It was a good post, despite the slight mix-up.

Last edited:
^^what she said. I wouldn't say that I'm always in touch with who I am and what I want, but I can almost always figure it out with a pretty high degree of certainty if someone asks me. And in the areas where I can tell things just don't quite work out, I can catch the contradictions and at least say "something's missing here that would make this all make sense, but I dunno what it is yet." If you think IxTPs are good at catching contradictions on the outside, it's nothing compared to internally.

I definitely feel like my mind is predictable. Whenever I hear someone say they don't understand me, I'm always confused. I think "why not? What's not to get?" It seems like that predictability doesn't reach the outside, though.

I don't think I would say everything inside is "black and white"... but I've been accused of that by a few people now. My brain has shades of reasons upon reasons why things mght be the way they are, or reasons to act one way as opposed to another, each with relative probabilities of how likely those reasons seem to me. It's not like I could stick a number to it, but if you ask me to weight the relative likelihood of the most abstract scenario (first one that came to my mind as an example: "assuming everyone's perceptions are accuate, why is it that people in certain countries have many spiritual encounters, while people in other countries have none?"), I could give you a few reasons, and tell you which one seems more likely (and usually, but not always, why) given any specific worldview that I understand well. The structure of assumption -> (many) implication(s) -> (many more) result(s) is like second nature to me. Or, more likely, first nature.

Hmm...this is a very interesting proposition. I don't really know how to respond to it -- my mind makes sense, and the thing about inner worlds is they're really hard to compare :B I can't look at someone else's inner world....though that would be really cool.

Though, I will say that I feel as if my inner world is more concrete when I organize my thoughts physically as well. Although, that's not to say that my mind is greatly unpredictable when I don't, either.

Hmm...this is a very interesting proposition. I don't really know how to respond to it -- my mind makes sense, and the thing about inner worlds is they're really hard to compare :B I can't look at someone else's inner world....though that would be really cool.

Though, I will say that I feel as if my inner world is more concrete when I organize my thoughts physically as well. Although, that's not to say that my mind is greatly unpredictable when I don't, either.

this.

It is an interesting theory, I do like it. The only issue is the strength of each I and J (as well as the middle functions) are going to greatly influence the strength of each Pi and Ji of each person. That kinda goes without saying though. I actually think the extroverted functions can influence the internal world though. It certainly does for me. My need for certainly and linearity of thought is heavily influenced by my Fe and Te. I really really try extremely hard to have order in my head, as well as my external world. Again my J letter is very strong so In a sense, I have strong Ji and Je moderate Pi and no Pe.

Hey! You just created more functions desctiprions. Oh do I like this theory, I will be pondering this much more. :becky:

Yeah, this seems about right. I try to keep my desk tidy because my mind is more than enough mess to handle. Only when I'm very tired can I keep my thoughts linear, tidy, and orderly. I often have trouble communicating precisely for this reason - it takes a lot of effort to translate the internal chaos to something understandable.

Last edited:

Discuss.

i think you're really onto something. this explains a lot of the differences i've noticed between myself and my INFP sister