Jelly vs jam | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Jelly vs jam

Haha. I love that you made this thread Jamie. Some things boggle my mind too with the culture differences.

Like Australians and Vegemite vs Americans and mayonaise.
Anywho.

I am intrigued.

Oh shit Vegemite... I made the hugest mistake when I put a shit ton of that on toast for the first time.

Never again.

I would take jam over jelly any day.

But Jello is a dessert snack. It doesn't even belong in bread. Haha. Well. Unless that bread is actually cake.

MmMmMmMmMm Jello cake. So good.

Wowwww lets take a step back before introducing Australian culture here. We need to lay down some principles first:

The ‘english’ language is actually English in origin believe it or not. Therefore, we get to name things how we see fit. The clues in the name! :tearsofjoy:

Vegemite! Wtf is this abomination we are talking about. Please please please tell me you muricans actually know what mayonnaise actually is! I need pictures please :grimacing:

The Difference Between Jelly and Jello

While our Cultural Difference topics are typically more serious, this is a topic that I have heard mentioned over and over again. American find it difficult to explain the difference between Jelly and Jello. From what I have learned, Jello is known as Jelly and there is no Jelly. Since a common spread in America is Jelly, I thought it would be helpful to show the difference.

Jello is a dessert. It is fruit flavored, clear and it jiggles when you touch it. Some like to eat it plain, some with fruit inside and some top it with whip cream. You can buy it, usually in the diary section, premaid or you can make your own with an easy recipe and powdered ingredients from the Jello company; found in the baking section.

Jelly is a spread for bagles, toast or crakers and is usually accompanied with peanut butter or cream cheese. It is made from fruit, but has a creamier consistency so you can spread it easily. In most supermarkets I have been in, there is a sign on the isle for peanut butter/jelly. Jelly can be made from many different types of fruit, but children usually prefer grape or strawberry.

It is also important to note that there are similar products to Jelly: Jam and Preserves. The easiest way to explain the difference is to say that Jelly does not have any chunks of fruit, Jam has chopped pieces of fruit and Preserves have chunks of fruit.

Copied from : https://www.goaupair.com/au-pairs/difference-jelly-jello/

Wowwww lets take a step back before introducing Australian culture here. We need to lay down some principles first:

The ‘english’ language is actually English in origin believe it or not. Therefore, we get to name things how we see fit. The clues in the name! :tearsofjoy:

Vegemite! Wtf is this abomination we are talking about. Please please please tell me you muricans actually know what mayonnaise actually is! I need pictures please :grimacing:
Mayonnaise is American life, yo.

This whole argument is obsolete because preserves is the right answer

Jelly is a barely spreadable fruit crap

Jam is an easily spreadable fruit crap with more fruit than jelly

Preserves is an equally (to jam) spreadable fruit crap with bigger chunks of fruit

Jello is not spreadable. It is crap. Unless it's in cake.