Is the justice system broken? | INFJ Forum

Is the justice system broken?

It definitely tends to favor one kind of person over another... so yeah, I'd say that it's broken in that respect at least. Of course, those who benefit from the favoritism probably think it's working perfectly fine :m129:

This is said in the context of the U.S. justice system and doesn't necessarily speak for systems in other countries.

our jussis sisum suss

or, when you're not brushing your teeth,
"Our justice system sucks."

No, that’s just the difference between first degree robbery versus aiding-and-abetting someone that is committing fraud.

cheers,
Ian

You're just *now* figuring it out--? :p

Seriously, it's probably been broken since this country started. The only difference is now we have multiple media outlets to provide the coverage.

You're just *now* figuring it out--? :p

Seriously, it's probably been broken since this country started. The only difference is now we have multiple media outlets to provide the coverage.

Unfortunately, they're not any better than the system they try to cover...

I'd rather be tried by ten than carried by six, but allowing normal Joes to make decisions that can have such an impact on a person's life? Never been a fan of a jury or how they are picked.

gosh, the homeless man story breaks my heart

I wouldn't say that the system is broken, I'd say that those who use the system are afraid to really use it. I think people look too much for what is on the surface, and are not quick enough to disregard something as nonsense when it is, and to accept something as fact when it is.

One was essentially armed robbery (I would imagine pretending you have a gun still counts.) the other was essentially racketeering, I don't understand how they are analogous. That being said the homeless man should have had a reduced sentence for turning himself in.

Reactions: mr yarpoo
15 years?

15 years!?

Jesus why don't you just burn people for stealing potatoes.

I have no faith in our country, its people, or any of its systems at all.

Edit: I also disagree with juries. The Casey Anthony trial proves how senseless the average person can be.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
It works well if you're that guy who robbed a bank to get free medical care and plans out getting out in time to collect social security. Oh wait. No... that's still broken, isn't it?

We have 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's prisoners. The only countries who put more people to death than we do are Saudi Arabia, Iraq, China and one other I forget (but also in the middle east.) People who destroy entire economies get rewarded while people so poor that they have to resort to theft to survive are put away for life. Alcohol and high fructose corn syrup kill thousands of times more people, but get caught in possession of marijuana and you're toast (well, unless you're light-skinned... then you get a slap on the wrist.)

Reactions: arbygil
gosh, the homeless man story breaks my heart

It's possible that the homeless man in the story probably wanted to go to prison. Some get a much better life in there then they do outside. But 15 years is ridiculous, I wonder why he got such a heavy sentence?

Even a perfect weapon has one flaw - its user.

A perfect justice system would be the same.

Also note that you're not only comparing two distinct crimes (embezzlin' vs. robbry), you're also comparing federal court to Lousiana court. Those of you not familiar with Lousiana's legal system need to take note that it does not function like the court system of the rest of the United States. Judges are soverign in their court rooms, and legal precedence is merely a guideline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit