Is homosexuality merely a sexual indulgence? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Is homosexuality merely a sexual indulgence?

swans, wolves, penguins
Sexual mongamists

If you go back and read my post, I was speaking purely along the lines of mammals since that was what my original post was about. When you bring birds into the equation it complicates things considerably, since unlike mammals, 90% of birds are monogamist.

However, you get into some interesting territory in that respect.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2009/06/gay-penguin-dads-in-german-zoo-hatch-chick.html

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/gayanimals030707-3

However, male birds, excluding some species of mallards and ducks, rarely have sex with one another.

Wolves are not sexual monogamists for life. They practice serial monogamy.

You are talking about several different topics, so let's break them down.

First off, do animals have homosexual sex? Yes. As I said in the post, Macaque monkeys go so far as to practice anal sex. Bonobo chimps practice fellatio, masturbation, and rubbing together their genitals with same sex partners.

lesbian+bonobos.gif

Now comes the second part of the question you were asking. Do animals practice monogamy? Well that became a short list very quickly. Only 7% of mammals practice social monogamy, which is just the act of pair bonding. Of the 7% of pair bonding, only one species of mammals is known to practice sexual monogamy for life and that is Homosapiens. Every other mammal species, even when socially monogamous, will still take part in extra pair copulations if the opportunity presents itself.

Now let's consider how often humans, as a species, practice sexual monogamy for life. First off, you have to cross off those who practice polygamy, then you have to cross off those who practice serial monogamy which has become rather common in our culture of divorce, and of course you have to cross anyone who has practiced adultery. So in the animal kingdom, sexual monogamy for life is restricted to a select few in one mammal species.

So as you can see, your question was kind of a trick. From my knowledge of biology, the only species that practices sexual monogamy for life, whether heterosexual or homosexual in nature, are human beings, and only a very few humans beings at that.

this kinda sidesteps one of the questions, are there any sexualy monagamus homosexual animals or are humans the only ones?

say are there homosexualy monagamus or serial monagamus wolves, swans, or peguins. Even more so are there any homosexualy monagamus or serial monagamus primates other then humans

Last edited:
this kinda sidesteps one of the questions, are there any sexualy monagamus homosexual animals or are humans the only ones?

say are there homosexualy monagamus or serial monagamus wolves, swans, or peguins. Even more so are there any homosexualy monagamus or serial monagamus primates other then humans

To my knowledge, besides humans, there is no other mammal that has been proven to practice sexual monogamy for life. As far as mammals are concerned it doesn't exist outside of human beings for either heterosexuality or homosexuality.

That being said, there are birds that practice sexual monogamy for life. Of those that do, the vast majority are heterosexual. Of the few species that have homosexual pairings, only some species of mallards and ducks engage in homosexual sex. However, that sex is an act of instinctive dominance.

To my knowledge, the only animal in existence besides humans that may practice sexual monogamy in homosexual pairings are dolphins. However, I have no proof of that assertion, only unsubstantiated accounts. Dolphins are highly promiscuous, but they have been known to form pair bonds for life (although they tend to be serial monogamist) and they have been known to practice homosexual sex. If any other animal does it, then it would be them.

Actually if you want to talk about what actually occurs in nature, then let's talk about Bonobo chimps. They are our closest genetic homonid relative. And guess what? They rampantly practice homosexuality? Why? Because sex among primates is often a social bonding agent. Other primates, such as Macaque's monkeys go so far as to practice anal sex. So no, homosexuality is not restricted to humans.

Frankly, I take offense to your comment. Calling a sexual orientation "stupid" is like calling someone's race or gender stupid. It's a part of who a person is, and it may not make sense to you, but it does have biological origins just like arbitrary traits like skin color.

Now if actually are an open minded person, instead the judgmental ass you seem to be making yourself out to be in this post, then have a look at this video and it might explain a few things.

I apologise that my opinion offends - I did not state it in order to offend, but in an honest reply to the topic.

I think it is legitimate to call some sexual pairings un-rational (stupid) because they are so disconnected with not just the nature of the species of the individual, but with the entire phylum. For example (borrowed from another thread) the innate "genetic" orientation/impulse/etc. towards paedophilia (true paedophilia and not ephebophilia), if practiced, is not reasonable. While it is true that some animals will mate sexually immature members of their species (I have seen it myself in dogs), it is not reasonable for a human to implement, in practice, such an orientation. (The disconnection of sex from its reproductive function).

Last edited:
I apologise that my opinion offends - I did not state it in order to offend, but in an honest reply to the topic.

I think it is legitimate to call some sexual orientations un-rational (stupid) because they are so disconnected with not just the nature of the species of the individual, but with the entire phylum. For example (borrowed from another thread) the innate "genetic" orientation/impulse/etc. towards paedophilia (true paedophilia and not ephebophilia) is not reasonable. While it is true that some animals will mate sexually immature members of their species (I have seen it myself in dogs), it is not reasonable for a human to follow such an orientation to its contradictory outcome. (The disconnection of sex from its reproductive function).

FA, I'm going to give you this warning right now. Stop using the word, "homosexuality" to describe homosexual sex. If you feel that homosexual sex is irrational, then that is fine. Homosexual sex serves only the purpose of pleasure and in some cases, as a means of emotionally bonding two people of the same sex. But homosexuality is an identity. It is a part of who a person is, regardless of whether they act on it. There are people who are homosexual who will never have homosexual sex. They will be attracted to people of the same sex, most likely by no choice of their own, regardless of whether or not they act on it. You are being highly offensive by chastising people for how they feel, for what amounts to a part of their identity, by calling it "stupid" and "irrational" just because you find gay sex to be irrational, and that is the only thing stupid I have seen in this thread.

FA, I'm going to give you this warning right now. Stop using the word, "homosexuality" to describe homosexual sex. If you feel that homosexual sex is irrational, then that is fine. Homosexual sex serves only the purpose of pleasure and in some cases, as a means of emotionally bonding two people of the same sex. But homosexuality is an identity. It is a part of who a person is, regardless of whether they act on it. There are people who are homosexual who will never have homosexual sex. They will be attracted to people of the same sex, most likely by no choice of their own, regardless of whether or not they act on it. You are being highly offensive by chastising people for how they feel, for what amounts to a part of their identity, by calling it "stupid" and "irrational" just because you find gay sex to be irrational, and that is the only thing stupid I have seen in this thread.

A good point -and distinction which I stupidly overlooked.

My opinion is in regard practice, not orientation.

(a few minutes later...) Ok - I have edited my previous posts to reserve my opinion to practices and not to orientations.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, besides humans, there is no other mammal that has been proven to practice sexual monogamy for life. As far as mammals are concerned it doesn't exist outside of human beings for either heterosexuality or homosexuality.

That being said, there are birds that practice sexual monogamy for life. Of those that do, the vast majority are heterosexual. Of the few species that have homosexual pairings, only some species of mallards and ducks engage in homosexual sex. However, that sex is an act of instinctive dominance.

To my knowledge, the only animal in existence besides humans that may practice sexual monogamy in homosexual pairings are dolphins. However, I have no proof of that assertion, only unsubstantiated accounts. Dolphins are highly promiscuous, but they have been known to form pair bonds for life (although they tend to be serial monogamist) and they have been known to practice homosexual sex. If any other animal does it, then it would be them.

Thanks for your input sorry if that went of topic at all, also to liven things up a bit. Does the bold and bold underline mean that some speicies mallerds and ducks rape other mallards as a show of dominance?

Thanks for your input sorry if that went of topic at all, also to liven things up a bit. Does the bold and bold underline mean that some speicies mallerds and ducks rape other mallards as a show of dominance?

Some species of mallards and ducks will rape dead mallards and ducks to demonstrate dominance.

When discussing homosexuality in nature, its difficult to understand which behaviors are the result of instinct, which are the result of pleasure seeking, and which are the result of social bonding behaviors. Very few animals practice sex for pleasure and even fewer practice sex for the purpose of social bonding. A large part of the reason I restricted my earlier answer to mammals is because there is no indication that birds practice sex either for pleasure or for social bonding. They practice it almost purely instinctively, such as in the dominance example with mallards and ducks, or for procreation. However, a handful of primate species and dolphins do practice sex for both the purpose of pleasure and social bonding.

I do not think using an animal's behaviour as a homologue or even a strong analogue for human behaviour is helpful for two reason:

1. We are a distinct species and have distinct social/physical characteristics which should not be equated with other species. In biology it is a mistake to presume that one species will behave anything like its nearest relative species - because it may have been behaviour which diversified the two species intially.

2. We have a use of reason which animals do not - and even if some animals did, they do not have that use in any measure comparable with ours. The use of reason puts us in a completely different category, just as the ability to sense puts animals in a different category from the more vegetative forms of life, like sponges, funguses and plants.

Last edited:
(a few minutes later...) Ok - I have edited my previous posts to reserve my opinion to practices and not to orientations.

Since you have done so, I'll explain why I feel that homosexual behavior is rational as far as human behavior is concerned. As I said before, homosexual sex accomplishes only two things, providing pleasure and in some cases serving to emotionally bond two people of the same sex. Homosexual behavior is not rational in the reproductive sense, but it is rational when it comes to forming relationships between homosexuals. The sex between two people of the same sex serves no more purpose reproductively than masturbation, oral sex, etc. but it does serve the same psychosocial function that it does in heterosexual relationships in bringing gay people closer together in an extremely intimate, physical experience.

Does that suffice for being rational enough? Pedophilia behavior is incomparable to that. Pedophilia is not about forming a relationship with another human being, but is simply a pleasure seeking behavior. Pedophiles exploit children, because pedophiles are attracted to children only because of their youth. As soon as the child grows into maturity, the pedophile is not longer attracted to the child and no longer has any interest in any kind of relationship with the child. That is the fundamental difference that I feel that you have overlooked.

I do not think using an animal's behaviour as a homologue or even a strong analogue for human behaviour is helpful for two reason:

1. We are a distinct species and have distinct social/physical characteristics which should not be equated with other species. In biology it is a mistake to presume that one species will behave anything like its nearest relative species - because it may have been behaviour which diversified the two species intially.

2. We have a use of reason which animals do not - and even if some animals did, they do not have that use in any measure comparable with ours. The use of reason puts us in a completely different category, just as the ability to sense puts animals in a different category from the more vegetative forms of life, like sponges, funguses and plants.

All I have to say in regards to this post is that it was you who brought up animals to begin with in this discussion. If you felt this way to begin with, then I think you did a great job wasting our time.

The assumption that reason somehow elevates humans could consume a thread in itself. To my knowledge, nothing about love and sexual attraction has anything to do with reason. People fall in love all the time when it is unreasonable to do so, and people can be sexually attracted to one another for all sorts of unreasonable qualities. People usually don't pick their mates based on reason, they pick them based on how they make them feel. So I find the argument that reason in anyway plays into the reality of love and sex to be absurd. If there was reason in love, then there would be no call for romance.

Wouldn't just about any sexual act that is not specifically intended to result in procreation be considered an indulgence, regardless of sexual orientation?

Even procreation is an indulgence, just ask Shai re:eek:verpopulation.

Who would have thought that people might actually act on their desires? Goddamn puritans.

Last edited:
Satya: Until this moment I had never heard of the distinction you make between the terms

Satya: Until this moment I had never heard of the distinction you make between the terms “gay” and “homosexual.” I’m not saying you’re wrong; to be honest, I think it’s interesting. Are these distinctions par for the course in queer studies? They don’t seem to be very common in the mainstream discourse.

Let's try these definitions...

The way that the APA defines homosexuality is...

"A pattern of emotional, romantic, and sexual attractions to those of the same sex."

The way you seem define homosexuality is...

"The act of engaging in sexual behavior with those of the same sex."

The APA definition recognizes sexual orientation, whereas your definition only recognizes sexual behavior. If you define any sexual behavior that is not procreative as a sexual indulgence, then of course, by your definition of homosexuality, it would be just sexual indulgence.

To clarify, as I said before, I was using the terms, "gay" and "homosexual" to define different ideas only for this discussion. That is not necessarily how other people would define those terms in the real world. I was simply making it evident that the definition you use for homosexual is not necessarily the same way that other individuals view it. In fact, your definition is only about 30 years old. There are those who define homosexuality as a mental illness. Those who define as a character flaw. Those who define it as a crime. And even those who define it as the moral equivalent of heterosexuality. I like the APA's definition best because it doesn't discount the important emotional and romantic elements of sexual orientation.

Of course, maybe the APA is wrong. It's simple for you to determine yourself. I'm assuming you are heterosexual. Assuming that you weren't having sex either way, could you fall in love with a man the same way that you could fall in love with a woman? Could you become romantically interested in a man, the same way that you could with a woman? If not, then it seems you have failed to account for a major part of the equation. Homosexuality, just like heterosexuality, is about more than just sex.

I don’t doubt that there are some same-sex couples that practice celibacy, but given my definition of homosexuality, I was under the impression that we were discussing erotic, or what we might today call “romantic,” relationships, particularly those that seek to be or emulate families or consummative couples. Indeed, in your original post you refer to “homosexual couples” and showed pictures of same-sex partners with children, in addition to a YouTube video in which a boy sings about his two “fathers.” It is this sort of arrangement—i.e., one in which two people form a romantic relationship, of which sexual intercourse or some other form of eroticism constitutes a part—that I had in mind.
Why are you only focusing on the sex part? That is what I don't understand. I'm sorry Nik, but your example didn't prove anything. Allow me to demonstrate....

I think heterosexuality qua heterosexuality is an indulgence. Surrounding it with other acts and desires, in my opinion, does not strip it of its fundamental character, which is sexual in nature. Suppose a man and woman, John and Samantha, have known each other since childhood and eventually find it to their benefit to live together—financial convenience, friendship, whatever. They may even take in an orphan to provide him with a home, responsibilities, and an education. But at no point could we reasonably call John and Samantha heterosexuals. Now suppose John and Samantha’s life plays out just as I’ve just described, except for the added detail that John and Samantha fuck each other or in some other way carry out erotic acts with each other. Now we can reasonably say that they are heterosexuals.

As you can probably tell, all I did was change the word "homosexual" to "heterosexual" and "Sam" to "Samantha" and your reasoning still applies. So what makes homosexuality an indulgence and what makes heterosexuality not an indulgence? Would you call heterosexuality an indulgence if a heterosexual couple chose to adopt children instead of having their own but continued to have sex anyways? Your example was ludicrous and meaningless, since all you did was try to narrow the definition of homosexuality to sex, but the exact same thing can be done with heterosexuality. Or is there some element that I am missing?

At any rate, it’s not clear to me that the separate definitions (i.e., “gay” and “homosexual”) remove the indulgence aspect of homosexuality in and of itself.
Pray tell, by your reasoning, if the people in the example had been John and Samantha, how would have it been any less of an indulgence for them if they had chosen to have sex? I'm sorry, but your example makes no sense and proves no point, only that you for some reason have a definition of homosexuality that only includes sex. So what is your definition of heterosexuality? How does it differ?

As for your example of the same-sex high school prom couple, you raise a fair point. It may be that I’ll have to reconsider what ought to be allowed in the public sphere. And by that I mean that I may end up taking a more austere approach to public displays suggesting homosexuality.
Good to hear.

One final clarification regarding your agreement with Sloe Djinn: I didn’t place non-procreative sex in the same category as homosexuality and oral sex, mainly because, as I said in your other thread, normal couples who are fertile can engage in sexual intercourse multiple times throughout, say, the course of a month, without the woman ever becoming pregnant.
That is fine enough, but you still have to account for any heterosexuals who use birth control or have had vasectomies or choose to have sex after becoming sterile. I'm sorry, but your line of teleological reasoning became quite ludicrous when actually applied to reality. I figured that if I demonstrated that you had to make an inordinate number of assumptions and exceptions, that eventually Occam's razor would come in and do its job by forcing your logic to accept the explaination with the fewest number of assumptions and exceptions. However it seems you don't base your belief of teleology on reasoning, so I don't imagine you are going to let go of that anytime soon. If you wish to restrict sex in your own personal life to simple procreative acts, then that is fine, but the moment you begin to judge others for their sexual behavior, you need to provide a reasonable argument, and as of yet I don't think you have one.

Just as much an indulgence as heterosexuality is.
:rofl:

Reactions: NeverAmI
Satya, thank you for answering all of these questions - I'm learning so much! I think you make a lot of sense, and we all need to hear these things. It's not about fear of one's orientation...it's about how that orientation plays out in individual lives. I could very well see myself living with another woman for comfort and companionship, and adopting a child with her, without having sex with her at all.

I wonder; (and this is a whole other topic that may need to split from the current thread) would I be able to adopt a child if I did that? Would it be any different from a homosexual couple's desire to adopt a child, or someone who supports a child overseas?

Anyway, I could go on and on. But I like this discussion, Satya. It helps me consider a broader view.