Is economics a good major for an INFJ?What are the best career choices for an INFJ? | INFJ Forum

Is economics a good major for an INFJ?What are the best career choices for an INFJ?

brusmani

Nov 18, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
This has been a major struggle for me,I got to a point where I have no idea what to do with my life...

Last edited:
Do what makes you happy

If you have ethical issues with something this may stand in the way of you being happy whilst doing it

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I'm an accountant and have been good at it, in various forms (consulting, external and internal audit, financial management, even teaching). I like it too, so from my experience it seems fine.

The long researh oriented tasks might satisfy the need to work alone but in order to secure positions in these fields you will be surrounded by money hungry financial types. The bottom line will always be about how much money can be made. if you don't mind that then might as well go where the money is; which is investment banking and becoming an analyst.

Otherwise in my opinion; economics may not suit the temperament of an INFJ. INFJs need to do something they know and feel is making a difference either directly and indirectly and not sure how being in the financial world can equate with our ideals. On the other hand; non profit work atmosphere might be more appealing.

As an INF: fuck business.

I think most INFs would prefer to work in a field where they feel they are helping others.

One thing about going into business that's often overlooked, though, is that if you, say, start a company and end up making a lot of profit, you could then use that money to help others. If you could deal with having to think and act like a businessman, you could end up doing more good than a lot of people in social work would ever do.

WARNING:

Do NOT use your MBTI type as some kind of career path. MBTI is subjective and fake. Its no better than astrology. When you ask, should INFJs go into accounting, its like asking should a Taurus go into accounting.

Reactions: subwayrider
@subwayrider fine feel free to disagree, but that doesn't make you right. MBTI is complete bunk. Its slightly better than Astrology, but not by much, its non-scientific. Feel free to post any proof that its real and quantitative or non-subjective. I subjectively qualify as an INFJ, and I LOVE business and economics, I love making money, I love noticing trends and patterns and getting ahead of the curve as far as noticing where the money is going. The MBTI scale telling me business is not for me, should be seen as harmful bad advice, since I have a real knack for it. And I HATE dealing with people, because people are fucking stupid and dont know how to distinguish between whats a good thing to do for their lives, vs what makes them FEEL better.

[MENTION=4717]subwayrider[/MENTION] fine feel free to disagree, but that doesn't make you right. MBTI is complete bunk. Its slightly better than Astrology, but not by much, its non-scientific. Feel free to post any proof that its real and quantitative or non-subjective.

You did at first say it's NO better than astrology, and that was what I most disagreed with. Astrology is based on what time of the year one was born and the positioning of the stars, whereas MB is based on REAL preferences for interacting with the inner and outer worlds.

I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to provide evidence for the rest, but I can say this: even the hard sciences are subjective. There is no full objectiveness because even the quantifiable results that come from the testing of hypotheses in the physical sciences are based on our understanding of the universe, which is, in turn, usually based on the five senses and/or logic. That's what leads certain top scientists like Stephen Hawking to reject the notion of any theory being "true" or "false." In actuality, they can do no more than predict results in the universe we've come to know via our own human perspective.

Reactions: muir
Economics is probably the best major anyone can choose unless you want to be a scientist. It just translates to so many different areas its bound to be useful in some way.

Economics is probably the best major anyone can choose unless you want to be a scientist. It just translates to so many different areas its bound to be useful in some way.

Abandoning the INF perspective, yeah, that's true.

Apparently, a minor in Statistics can help just about anyone, too.

Abandoning the INF perspective, yeah, that's true.

Apparently, a minor in Statistics can help just about anyone, too.

Why would you have to abandon the INF perspective? Im sure some INF could use econ to help others in some way.

Why would you have to abandon the INF perspective? Im sure some INF could use econ to help others in some way.

Yes, they could, but as was mentioned above, they would maybe have to interact a lot with people who are money-hungry and that could be pretty stressful for INFs. It has to do with the work environment, a fair amount.

WARNING:

Do NOT use your MBTI type as some kind of career path. MBTI is subjective and fake. Its no better than astrology. When you ask, should INFJs go into accounting, its like asking should a Taurus go into accounting.

Not exactly. I think MBTI is:
  • misunderstood
  • used out of context
  • confining
  • used incorrectly when trying to adapt with your pre-existing belief structure

To summarize, most people actually should not use MBTI for many things because chances are, you wont understand it properly.
In this case, it should not be used for a career path because it falls under "confining". BUT it can be used as a guide if it is guidance you are seeking. In other words, MBTI can, in some cases, inform you of what you are probably good at, but that is not to say you can't do other things.

Not exactly. I think MBTI is:
  • misunderstood
  • used out of context
  • confining
  • used incorrectly when trying to adapt with your pre-existing belief structure

To summarize, most people actually should not use MBTI for many things because chances are, you wont understand it properly.
In this case, it should not be used for a career path because it falls under "confining". BUT it can be used as a guide if it is guidance you are seeking. In other words, MBTI can, in some cases, inform you of what you are probably good at, but that is not to say you can't do other things.

its completely subjective. Its not based on facts or science, its all theory that is unproven and unsupported with anything close to real.

its completely subjective. Its not based on facts or science, its all theory that is unproven and unsupported with anything close to real.

Your statement is completely subjective. Its not based on facts or science, its all theory that is unproven and unsupported with anything close to real.

AS well as YOUR FACE

Reactions: the
Your statement is completely subjective. Its not based on facts or science, its all theory that is unproven and unsupported with anything close to real.

AS well as YOUR FACE

INTPs ain't nothin' to f*** with.

What are the best career
choices for an INFJ?

Anything you think you can do well. In a long run you may end up anywhere, so don't limit yourself by these personality types that aren't reliable anyway, imo.

If you want to know what people who identify with the INFJ Personality Type end up going into, statistically, it's:

- Teaching
- Psychology
- Religious work
- Medicine ---> Psychiatry
- Social work
- Counseling
- Art
- Music
- Child Development
- Writing

Bottom line is that people who identify with INFJ have certain traits and preferences. This is what it means to be INFJ; this is what binds INFJs together. If there weren't certain prerequisites for being INFJ, everyone would be INFJ. These preferences make certain career paths less suitable for them; these preferences make them less suitable for certain careers. It doesn't mean an INFJ CAN'T follow a certain career path, it just means that there is work that is more likely to appeal to those traits and preferences.

I think...