Is a 16-year old an adult? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Is a 16-year old an adult?

What if they made the age of adulthood 17? You could do whatever you wanted at 17, but you would also be expected to completely act like an adult and accept all consequences that go along with it. Kids these days grow up too fast, but they're also far too babied...

I like 20, because the teen brain is either near or has completed developing around this age. I understand that it varies on an individual level and between genders as well but if there was an average; maybe set the age of adulthood around that?

I like 20, because the teen brain is either near or has completed developing around this age. I understand that it varies on an individual level and between genders as well but if there was an average; maybe set the age of adulthood around that?

I think this is an interesting and important point!
What are the activities we're allowed or prohibited according to age, based on?
How long ago did we decide at what age the average adolescent is mature enough to vote, enlist, drive a car, buy alcohol, drop out of school, purchase cigarettes, engage in sexual intercourse, and so on? What kind of consideration went into those decisions? Was there sufficient scientific and sociological inquiry involved, or do the existing rules derive from the observed life experiences of society at the time? If they do derive from observed life experiences, are these observations still appicable or have the changes in society made them eligible for review? How much information do we have about the adolescent brain, how much more are we trying to find out, and does this information support or oppose existing social norms, laws, and public opinion about adolescence and adulthood?

To play devil's advocate, are you only an adult when you're 18 because that's the society we've established? In other words, because we've manufactured life into something that will turn infants into adults by the age of 18?

The caveat to this, as any discussion on adulthood, is that some people never live up to the title of being an adult. Adulthood is largely a matter of maturity, responsibility, and self-accountability. It's also a mix of physiology and life experience. The adolescent brain is different than the adult brain. Hormone levels obviously vary as well, as do other functions within the body. Socially, our environments require different things of adults and adolescents. But some people, in spite of everything, just seem to refuse to grow up. What is that called? What can it be attributed to? Could it due to something other than physiology and the environment (life experiences)?

ETA: I think by and large 16 year olds are not adults in our culture because the set up of our society very much defines them as minors. I would call this them not being primed for adulthood, which I think is a very interesting idea. I mean, do adolescents who mature early and who cope with the responsibilities of adulthood they have thrust upon them thrive from such responsibilities and are capable of taking them on, or do they do so in spite of the fact that they may not be ready for such tasks but are resilient (as humans (and younger persons especially) tend to be)?

No, I just think "They" are right. I think 18 is the 'age of majority', or whatever.

I guess it really depends and its very complicated. its hard to understand what an adult is and what that really means and whether or not its possible to define that. Is it about societal privelages and freedoms? A time line for 'average' achievement?

Defining it simply on biology or emotional maturity doesnt seem to be enough. As many others have said, some adults act like children and some children act like adults. The brain is continually developing and there seems to be a lot of individual variance. Environmental and cultural factors, along with experience and personality are just as important variables as hormonal and biological maturation. For me, it seems to be more about life adaptability, self sufficiency and responsibility. The stage where people are able to be responsible for themselves, look after themselves, and create their own family.

Bascially i think when people are able to have children, they enter a new stage of life and development, whether or not they fit into a culturally defined concept of 'adult'. Looking after yourself and your child is as 'adult' as it gets. When people are able to support themselves financially through the fruit of their own labour- this means that they have entered a new stage and are entitled more societal privellages and freedoms.

People often live up to our expectations. If we treat someone as immature, they will act that way. If we choose to give someone responsibilities, treat them as they are responsible and capable, they will probably have more reason and ability to act this way. Many adults can be very over protective over children, and unwilling to delegate responsibilities to them. This responisibilty is priceless though, becuase this is how we learn and how we learn to see ourselves as capable and in control of our life. Independance and freedom are so essential to the human spirit. People need room to grow. They cant learn without making mistakes. Rather than having someone micromanage them and dictate their freedoms, what they really need is a supportive nuturing environment, respect, trust, honesty and knowledge. Knowledge and experience are all important. Parents need to lead by example, be honest about our own mistakes and shortcomings, and earn our respect.

In Australia, its 'complusory' to stay in school up till a grade 10 level, which is about 15 years of age. At this stage, they can decide whether or not they want to continue high school education, do some kind of vocational education or simply leave and get a job. 14 years 9 months is the legal age for employment and 15 is the legal age for apprenticeships.
Generally the age of 'independance' for social security payments is 22. But people aged 15 can qualify for these kinds of payments if they are considered independant because of family issues etc.

I think that it would probably be better to have compulsory highschool education- learning your basics- reading, writing and arithmetic up till the age of 14, and than allowing students to have more versatlity in talioring their own schooling/ vocational training experience. Some people are creative, some academic, some more mechanically minded etc. Rather than forcing them into a mould, why not empower them and give them the tools to create a path in which they can be more responsible? With guidance of course from qualified people. Some kids really dislike school, and their skills and personality are devalued in that environment. I think that rather than forcing them to continue, they should be allowed to explore options. Hopefully this would help them feel more empowered and invested into their own life story and experience.

In regards to child rearing and marriage, i think that general age should possibly be raised to 17. Children need to be educated on sexual health from around age 11 or 12, and taught the importance of taking control and responisbility of their own sexual health. While its completely wrong and unethical to deny people reproductive privellages, i think we can spend more time educating and teaching responisibilty, and providing easy and accessible safe contraceptives. People are going to want to start exploring sex around that age, and they should be able to do so honestly in an environment where they have people they can talk to about it and recieve constructive feedback. Repression, dishonesty and lack of communication is responsible for so much of the supposed 'deviant' behaviour in our cultures. Although people younger than 17 are perfectly capable of having children and being married succesfully, I think that they could be disadvantaged in some ways, especailly when it comes to being able to succesfully support their children financially. But ofcourse, this is a case by case scenario, and everyone is different.

In regards to drinking and recreational drugs, I think that 16 is probably a good age. This is after the age that they can work fulltime to support themselves and gives them enough time to learn and manage their drinking behaviour.

With driving, i think that 18 is probably appropriate, so after they have learned to somewhat manage their drinking behaviour. I guess this issue would depend on the country one loved in and the quality of public transport.

In regards to making legal decisions and contracts, im thinking 17.

I know when i was younger, the main thing i craved was freedom and independence. i wanted to make my own mistakes and own my own life. What could be better than learning the consequences of your own actions? Life is just learning to balance and manage all these things in a beneficial way.

I think that as a society we have to decide what does constitute an adult. My pet peeve is when a juvenille does something like murder and they are tried as 'aduts' in the court system. To me that is beyond unethical. As minors, they don't have the rights and privledges of adults in our society. They can't vote for the politicians and judges making decisions about their lives.

The point being that we continually tread the line between "fair" and "equitable" in our society. It isn't fair that the 14 year old who guns down 5 people doesn't go to prison for the rest of their life. It is however equitable, that all juvenilles are treated as if they are not yet adults in our criminal system. We dance with the details and entertain the devil.

If a 16 year old can go to prision for the rest of their life for a crime and be sentenced and tried as an adult--then I would hope some enterprising 16 year old sues to be considered a full fledged adult in our society.