Is a 16-year old an adult? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Is a 16-year old an adult?

I see a 16 year old as a young adult. They have the ability to be responsible if their environment supports their growth to independence (even forced independence b/c of neglectful parents.) I like the thought that parents aren't raising children, they are raising adults. I have seen 16 year olds as responsible adults (especially Boy Scouts) and 16 year olds not having a clue (one of my wards) ... and it all goes back to their environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulful
So, I changed the title to "is a 16-year-old an adult?" since that seems closer to what we've been discussing and so that the focus is not only on women but men as well.

Come to think of it, this makes me think of Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women". This story was about young women, teens (using modern terminology), who had to grow up quickly because of the difficult circumstances they lived in and because a father was away at war. They were interdependent and also independent young women who had more responsibility than many young women their age. So, they grew up faster. In any case, although this is novel, it does make you question about those who've been on their own at a young age. Some, barely 13 or even younger usually not by choice but because of economic or family circumstances, etc. Theoretically, they are still young or children by our social definitions but their frame of mind may be far beyond that since they've had significant economic and/or social responsibility at an earlier age than most. So, we may process them as "young" when their development has surpassed those labels.

Some are, sure.

Some are absolute dipshits.

I was the latter.

;P

I say yes, but I would caveat a 16 year old generally being undeveloped in life experiences. So yes, an undeveloped adult. I also see many 40 year old people as undeveloped adults. Some people develop mentally and emotionally early, some later, and some people never do. I believe being under 18 is generally a grace period as far as committing wrongs. I think in American society there is generally a lack of encouragement in building proper life skills before turning 18. However, the lack of life skills is itself is a whole other matter which is emplaced by societal norms that rapidly change. How can adults encourage adaptation and learning when they themselves can't adapt and learn?

I'm very cautious to attribute the label of adult onto an adolescent.
With it, comes adult responsibilites that frankly, most 16 year olds aren't equipped to handle.

I'm very cautious to attribute the label of adult onto an adolescent.
With it, comes adult responsibilites that frankly, most 16 year olds aren't equipped to handle.

Frankly, many adults don't seem capable of handling their adult responsibilities, no matter how many decades they've been around. There are some 16 year olds who handle quite a bit for they're age, but they're exceptions and certainly not the norm.

I think "They" got it right when "They" said that when you're 18 you're an adult. Whoever "They" are...

Frankly, many adults don't seem capable of handling their adult responsibilities, no matter how many decades they've been around. There are some 16 year olds who handle quite a bit for they're age, but they're exceptions and certainly not the norm.
The difference then, is that a 16 year olds brain is still developing while an actual adults is not.
Or is that science not valid here? Of course there are mature for their age teenagers and then dipshit adults.
Whats your point? That 16 year olds are completely grown up because of that?

The difference then, is that a 16 year olds brain is still developing while an actual adults is not.
Or is that science not valid here? Of course there are mature for their age teenagers and then dipshit adults.
Whats your point? That 16 year olds are completely grown up because of that?

Um, no, not in the slightest, and I'm not sure how you interpreted it like that. That's why I said that it wasn't the norm for 16 year olds to be mature, because I know they aren't developed at that age. I was implying that I was in disagreement with those who believe in general people reach maturity at 16. Perhaps I should have been more clear.

Um, no, not in the slightest, and I'm not sure how you interpreted it like that. That's why I said that it wasn't the norm for 16 year olds to be mature, because I know they aren't developed at that age. I was implying that I was in disagreement with those who believe in general people reach maturity at 16. Perhaps I should have been more clear.
Whoopsie yeah I read it too fast.

What responsibilities do adults have that 16 years olds dont? Pay your rent, buy your own food, pay your bills, get employed, take care of your reproduction 'stuff', etc. These seem like things that are teachable by the adults in their life. If these 16 years olds dont know how to do it and are therefore not adults, it just because those same adults are the ones holding them back from maturity.

Fill me in on what else a 16 y/o is missing, its been awhile since I've been that young.

Last edited:
What responsibilities do adults have that 16 years olds dont? Pay your rent, buy your own food, pay your bills, get employed, take care of your reproduction 'stuff', etc. These seem like things that are teachable by the adults in their life. If these 16 years olds dont know how to do it and are therefore not adults, it just because those same adults are the ones holding them back from maturity.

Fill me in on what else a 16 y/o is missing, its been awhile since I've been that young.
Go read a book about it... or a study on the cognitive development of adolescents if your're interested.
Or actually spend time with adolescent relatives or volunteering with kids in the community.
It's really not that hard to tell the difference between yourself and one of them,I would hope...

Go read a book about it... or a study on the cognitive development of adolescents if your're interested.
Or actually spend time with adolescent relatives or volunteering with kids in the community.
It's really not that hard to tell the difference between yourself and one of them,I would hope...

I think the whole point is that not every person comes in a cookie cutter format. When I was sixteen I looked 11. Should people judge me based only on my looks? Usually, after talking to people they would assume I was older, mentally, usually between 20-24 (asked how old). So no, it is not always easy. Or, maybe you live in a cookie cutter world.

"Go read a book" Excellent rebuttal. If you dont know the answer to my question just say so. No need to be embarrassed that you missed the point completely.

Last edited:
I think the whole point is that not every person comes in a cookie cutter format. When I was sixteen I looked 11. Should people judge me based only on my looks? Usually, after talking to people they would assume I was older, mentally, usually between 20-24 (asked how old). So no, it is not always easy. Or, maybe you live in a cookie cutter world.
Omg..where am I?? The Twilight Zone?

@UBERROGO

Here you go: http://www.americanbar.org/content/.../crimjust_juvjus_Adolescence.authcheckdam.pdf

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publ...still-under-construction/complete-index.shtml

http://harvardmagazine.com/2008/09/the-teen-brain.html

I didn't see in there that a 16 year old is too young to understand the concept of pay your bills, buy food, take bath, learn how to do a skill so you can work, dont get pregnant - or do and take care of it, etc. FYI those are all the things adults do that children arent solely responsible for. I guess I just have too much faith in the human race that 16 year old could do things if they were raised properly and would be considered an adult; I think most 16 year olds could pull off living this adult life.

In fact a few 16 year olds have slipped through the cracks and successfully lived adult lives! Gasp!

Reactions: Gaze
The point was that teenagers are not fully developed. Their brains are not adult brains.
Therefore, they are not adults.

I think "They" got it right when "They" said that when you're 18 you're an adult. Whoever "They" are...

To play devil's advocate, are you only an adult when you're 18 because that's the society we've established? In other words, because we've manufactured life into something that will turn infants into adults by the age of 18?

The caveat to this, as any discussion on adulthood, is that some people never live up to the title of being an adult. Adulthood is largely a matter of maturity, responsibility, and self-accountability. It's also a mix of physiology and life experience. The adolescent brain is different than the adult brain. Hormone levels obviously vary as well, as do other functions within the body. Socially, our environments require different things of adults and adolescents. But some people, in spite of everything, just seem to refuse to grow up. What is that called? What can it be attributed to? Could it due to something other than physiology and the environment (life experiences)?

ETA: I think by and large 16 year olds are not adults in our culture because the set up of our society very much defines them as minors. I would call this them not being primed for adulthood, which I think is a very interesting idea. I mean, do adolescents who mature early and who cope with the responsibilities of adulthood they have thrust upon them thrive from such responsibilities and are capable of taking them on, or do they do so in spite of the fact that they may not be ready for such tasks but are resilient (as humans (and younger persons especially) tend to be)?

Last edited:
I think the label of "adult" at 18 is more about expectation than fulfillment. Meaning that we expect someone to take personal responsibility for their actions and life, we expect them to be more mature, and more aware (self and other). But of course, they may not be so. But we need some kind of age when we deem someone capable of making legal decisions for themselves. I've never understood why the age of adulthood is 18 rather than 20 since 18 is still in the teens. Why wouldn't 20 be the age of adulthood? Or in Hispanic cultures, 15, not 16 is celebrated. 18 seems quite arbitrary. Why not 19?

Reactions: the