• MP3 player

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other (Is there an other?)

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
not really...

A lot support the propriety forms, but there's not as much support for flac or ogg.

and I was wrong before, iPod is an .aac player

From http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38530
As with video, any audio file that you can play in iTunes will play on your iPod, including MP3, AIFF, WAV (uncompressed), AAC, and Audible (.aa) files.
From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928191
The Zune software automatically searches for appropriate audio files, and then adds the audio files in the following formats to your Zune collection:
  • The following types of files:
    • .wma
    • .wmv
    • .mp3
    • .jpg
    • .mp4
    • .m4v
    • .m4a
    • .m4b
    • .mov
From http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=3173
Digital audio standards: MP3, WMA, Audible, Protected WMA (DRM), OGG, FLAC

From http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/31243/review/zen.html#specs
Supported Audio Formats AAC Yes AIFF No Apple LosslessNo ASF No AudibleYes FLAC No MP3 Yes OGG No WAV Yes WMA Yes WMA LosslessNo

So.... they are all mp3 players, and they all support multiple file formats. Although the Zune seems to be the most restrictive in supported audio formats.

true

nor are any of the decent ones OGG players. The only one that you listed was a sansa clip

sansa_clip_2.jpg

the screen is terrible, it's too small, and all around just useless.

I have a green ipod nano, 16g. Nothing really special. I just like the fact that it plays music :)

ipod_nano_green.jpg

Let's see...

I have a 1GB Zen Nano that's still working today. It's probably my longest-lasting MP3 player, and I still love it. It doesn't see a lot of use these days, though.

I have another Creative 16GB Zen that bit the dust when I dropped my bookbag on it. It still works, but the screen is cracked so I can't see what I'm doing. I was pretty pissed about that, since I only had it for about two months and I really like that thing. If someone gives me a spare screen I'm hell-bent on getting it working again.

80GB iPod Classic - I got this for Christmas after my Zen broke. It's alright, but I don't like the fact that the firmware is encrypted, so I can't change the theme. Using RockBox would also be sweet, since I love FLAC, but the iPod's sound quality sucks anyway so I guess it would be a lost cause. This is what I'm keeping most of my music on since I don't exactly have a big hard drive in my computer at the moment.

16GB iPod Touch (1st gen.) - My excuse for buying this was that it would help me with my ADD since it's basically a pocket computer. I also got a great deal on it ($100 from a friend, not stolen). This is definitely the MP3 player that gets used the most, especially since I don't just use it for music. It acts as a remote for iTunes (which I never use), VLC player, and XBMC on my Xbox. Yes, I can use my iPod Touch as a remote control for my Xbox. Life is good.

As soon as I get more cashflow, I might look into getting a 64GB Touch. By the time I can afford one they should be affordable (...).

Edit: Also, for Shai Gar and dylan: I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure iTunes just converts "supported" formats to *.aac when it transfers to the iPod.

Last edited:
I hate to point out the obvious, but an iPod IS an mp3 player, is it not?

[I have nothing, btw. Although I drool at the idea of having my entire music library available all the time, in my pocket, the fact that at least half (if not more) of my music collection is on vinyl, and the resulting time and effort it will take to digitize it all, I find a bit... :m071:]
I don't know, is it? I'm under the impression that an iPod is simply Apple's version of a media player, hence its unique name. I don't know if this makes it an MP3 player, or if iPods and MP3 players are technologically equivalent. However, it seems that the general populace refers to them separately, as iPod vs. MP3 player.

The iPod plays *.aac files that have been converted FROM *.mp3 by iTunes. It is capable of playing pretty much anything with RockBox, although newer iPods can't use RockBox due to encrypted firmware.

edit: 420th post yeah man smoke forums everyday

...it seems that the general populace refers to them separately, as iPod vs. MP3 player.

Yes, because to the general populace, as reflected by market share and sales, there is the iPod, and then there is - everything else.

cheers,
Ian

Edit: Also, for Shai Gar and dylan: I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure iTunes just converts "supported" formats to *.aac when it transfers to the iPod.

I suppose that's possible, but I have a hard time believing they would do something like that.

They have their own lossless compression format (Apple Lossless Encoding), plus they support WAV/AIFF (uncompressed). It would make no sense for them to claim to support those higher fidelity formats, and then automatically convert down to a lower fidelity format when transferring to the device. They would lose all the potential customers who want higher fidelity than aac or mp3.

Got a free 4GB iPod when my school added a mandatory MacBook purchase to enrollment requirements. It might only be 4GB, but that's really all I need anyways. It's survived my klutziness too, which is a nice added bonus.

I have an ipod Nano that I loaned to my brother in law to take to the gym and now it works but the backlight doesnt. I literally have to hold it under a light, or a flashlight just to see what I'm playing.. but I'm dealing. He didn't even say sorry... :( but I plan on getting something new soon so I can't wait!!! It's no biggie, I would have been angrier if it just didn't work anymore.