-
Enneagram
-
Do you ever not understand them and become insulted
because what is supposed to be a joke, what is a joke,
you are taking too seriously?

I have a feeing a large majority of the INFJf populace falls
into this category.

Yeah, that happens to me...I can take jokes far too seriously and start talking deeply about certain thoughts on the topic. I can be slightly offended because the joke gives off the wrong impression about a particular thing. Even though it is a joke I just sometimes don't find it funny because it's just 'wrong.'

Last edited:
Yeah, that happens to me...I can take jokes far too seriously and start talking deeply about certain thoughts on the topic. I can be slightly offended because the joke give off the wrong impression about a particular thing. Even though it is I joke I just sometimes don't find it funny because it's just 'wrong.'

Please explain the concept of wrong to me.

into this category.

No, I like jokes and I joke only with people that I like/love. Instead of telling "I like you" (it is so hard to spell) I tease.
My problem is that I am sometimes misunderstood...

Please explain the concept of wrong to me.

Some jokes can give off the wrong impression about something. I think that even though it is a joke you are still potentially learning stereotypical views on races or sexuality. For example. I think that's wrong. Hope that answered your question...Kinda? xD

Reactions: jn56uytrx
Some jokes can give off the wrong impression about something. I think that even though it is a joke you are still potentially learning stereotypical views on races or sexuality. For example. I think that's wrong. Hope that answered your question...Kinda? xD

Impressions are open to interpretation. That's the shitty thing about
communication.

Perhaps you take offence because you want to be offended, because you
yourself are being closed-minded in seeing the offence.
I use the plural form of you here, not singular :p
I don't mean this to be directed at you, just to be safe.

Maybe I should start including you (s) and you (p) into my typing.

into this category.

I'm actually pretty perceptive about jokes. I don't joke much online because so much of my joking is communicated through vocal tone and facial expression, but in real life I have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor or a silly, quirky one with people I'm very comfortable with.

If anything, I tend to probably err on the side of sensing joke when people are actually being serious.

If I take jokes seriously, it's not usually because I don't understand they are a joke, but rather because I don't appreciate the kind of humor they are sourced in. I'm not a fan of mean humor.

I grew up with a dad who was a big joker and often his joking was socially mean. More often than not, it was a cloak for unkind social commentary and I've never valued that.

I think perhaps this might be more common among INFJf populace than not understanding jokes. Meaning that they understand there has been a joke made, but they are sensitive to the feelings that might arise from that joking and so don't find it funny.

Impressions are open to interpretation. That's the shitty thing about
communication.

Perhaps you take offence because you want to be offended, because you
yourself are being closed-minded in seeing the offence.
I use the plural form of you here, not singular :p
I don't mean this to be directed at you, just to be safe.

Maybe I should start including you (s) and you (p) into my typing.

Interesting. The way I see my example is. I 'think' I have the right mindset when it comes to such jokes so they don't bother me so much, I only get offended or annoyed because the joke could be taught to others or maybe young kids who aren't so 'stable' in their mind.

Reactions: jn56uytrx
Interesting. The way I see my example is. I 'think' I have the right mindset when it comes to such jokes so they don't bother me so much, I only get offended or annoyed because the joke could be taught to others or maybe young kids who aren't so 'stable' in their mind.

Yes, the joke could be, but it is not.

If this is your mindset for everything then one must spend a lot
of their time offended. Looking at things from the perspective
of "could".

I'm actually pretty perceptive about jokes. I don't joke much online because so much of my joking is communicated through vocal tone and facial expression, but in real life I have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor or a silly, quirky one with people I'm very comfortable with.

If anything, I tend to probably err on the side of sensing joke when people are actually being serious.

If I take jokes seriously, it's not usually because I don't understand they are a joke, but rather because I don't appreciate the kind of humor they are sourced in. I'm not a fan of mean humor.

I grew up with a dad who was a big joker and often his joking was socially mean. More often than not, it was a cloak for unkind social commentary and I've never valued that.

I think perhaps this might be more common among INFJf populace than not understanding jokes. Meaning that they understand there has been a joke made, but they are sensitive to the feelings that might arise from that joking and so don't find it funny.

:D

Yes, the joke could be, but it is not.

If this is your mindset for everything then one must spend a lot
of their time offended. Looking at things from the perspective
of "could".

Another interesting point. I can spend a lot of my time 'offended.' How would I go about changing such an attitude? Become more accepting of things that occur beyond my control?

Reactions: Nixie
Another interesting point. I can spend a lot of my time 'offended.' How would I go about changing such an attitude? Become more accepting of things that occur beyond my control?

Are you asking me these questions?

Because I am only qualified to save lives.

Nah not really. I like people who try to have a good time or have a good time, even if their jokes aren't the funniest in the world. Always suppportive of the joke teller. Except for chuck norris joke tellers, I freaking get it already, chuck norris is the man.

Reactions: Free Mind
I am rarely offended by jokes. I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes because I over think the joke.

Also, you have discovered my biggest weakness...yes forum...I am the world's worst joke teller. It's like watching a car wreck happen right in front of your eyes.

Not really. I love telling jokes and my friends are always making jokes about someone or something but sometimes, it also depends on the people :))

I am rarely offended by jokes. I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes because I over think the joke.

Also, you have discovered my biggest weakness...yes forum...I am the world's worst joke teller. It's like watching a car wreck happen right in front of your eyes.

I think I may be the world's worst joke teller.
But I think this may be because I have an interesting sense of humour.

I agree.

People on this forum are incredibly touchy and sensitive IMO. I've made threads that I intended to be obvious jokes only to discover later that people were actually bawling to other people over the phone about some of the content it generated. I assume they knew it was a joke but couldn't take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Saru Inc
Sarcasm often goes over my head, especially in text. Which is kinda ironic since I actually tend to use it a bit.

into this category.

This happens to me all the time. I am usually unsure how much it is a joke and how much it is not.

into this category.

Ummm, no, not at all. Maybe infps and their life is serious business.